Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2006, 06:26 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
What photomags to you currently enjoy?

...and why?

I'm big into Practical Photography these days. It's a UK-based rag, but the production quality, reviews and tips beat most North American mags hands down.

Sure, it takes forever to reach my local shop, and it costs about $14 CDN per issue, but they give excellent article son how to do loads of things. From techniques to Photoshop how-to's, including step by step instructions with screen shots, and downloadable images from their website to practice with.

Since I found this mag, I've got back into photography, bought my K10D and have learned how to better us Photoshop (since I've been self-taught to this point).

12-17-2006, 07:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We talked about this a while ago and here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/180-photo-magazines.html

I agree that the UK mags IMO seem to have more content and a little less advertising. Sitting next to me as I type , all UK mags ( and usuallly a month behind as it takes longer to get here USA) Digital Camera, Digital Photographer, Practical Photography. And my one US Popular Photography.
12-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I normally read the UK Photography Monthly, of course here in Australia it is always at least 6 weeks late...
12-18-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
Forum Member

I like amateur photographer for their eccentric views on everything, and their monthly shooting meet up (four readers meet in London with Mike Maloney and take photos for 2 hours, then print their 3 favourites). Also the back page with whats-his-name is very good. Quite random usually.

Then there's digital photographer (not the american bi-monthly one - see http://www.dphotographer.co.uk/). I like it for the high quality printing and odd shape. However, I don't think the writers know all that much about photography, but to make up for it they interview some really top photographers each month, who do talk some sense!

Duncan.

12-18-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There are a number of photography magazines that I either subscribe to or buy from the local newsstand. The magazines I read most frequently are:

Digital Photo Pro
Digital Photo Pro | Welcome

Digital Camera / Digital Camera World
Digital Camera Magazine

American Photo (although the more it becomes like Pop Photo the less I like it)
American Photo Magazine - Photography news, photojournalism and artistic photos in professional photographer - PopPhoto