Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Digital frustrations in dust form......

More a rant here but, this is something driving me away from the digital SLR.

It doesn't seem to matter how careful I am or what I do I always seem to have a real problem with dust on the sensor. To the point where I just can't bring myself to manually edit out all those little dark blobs.................

There's a reason I haven't used my K200d very much this year................ Had much more productivity with film. Been getting much better technical shots too. Shouldn't be like this surely?

This has become painfully apparent with a flash gun test I've been doing today. Just crazy amounts of crud showing up.

Just frustrating, especially from a WR camera............... I can't afford any fancy expensive software at the moment just iPhoto and Picasa which are not the best when trying to edit anything meaningful. Gimp just doesn't seem to work? Well not on my computers for whatever reason.......

08-05-2011, 03:31 AM   #2
Forum Member

hm...why not regularly clean that damn little sensor? It takes minutes.
08-05-2011, 03:33 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kanzlr Quote
hm...why not regularly clean that damn little sensor? It takes minutes.
I do. Rocket blower etc. Just when I see one bit of dust I just see loads...... I do end up fixating on them!
08-05-2011, 04:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh has bought Pentax. If you want a dust-free DSLR, give them some of your money and get the Ricoh module sets. Not inexpensive though...

The Ricoh GXR Digital Camera Review with the 28mm and 50mm Modules | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

08-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Ricoh has bought Pentax. If you want a dust-free DSLR, give them some of your money and get the Ricoh module sets. Not inexpensive though...

The Ricoh GXR Digital Camera Review with the 28mm and 50mm Modules | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
Looks like a superb concept. Never knew it even existed.... Yep a little pricey though! But looks a good solution to the problems......
08-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps the issue is the source of the dust, such as flaking material in the camera itself, rather than the Sahara blowing through your door. Are you turning off the camera when changing lenses?
08-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought I was having dust problems but they turned out to be birds in the distance that you wouldn't see anyway unless you were at f8 or so.

08-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Easy ways to avoid dust:

* Don't change lenses. Leave the DA18-250 mounted always.
* Don't use a dSLR. Get a P&S, vidcam, any fixed-lens camera.
* Shoot film in SLRs or whatever. Each new frame is dustless.
* Don't use a camera. Learn to draw and paint. Amaze friends.

There's always a solution.

But I like using a dSLR. And I'm not in a particulate-free environment, i.e. a vacuum. (Don't inhale!) So I use a blower and a sensor-cleaning kit -- most often, the blower, 'cause I'm a lazy sod too. Cleaning kit takes 5 minutes, blower takes 10 seconds. Always in a hurry...