Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Colors to cold... need warmth

I did a couple of family shoots last night. Some of the shots came out ok but some not so ok. I used a slave flash and white shoot thru umbrella. It looks like the color is really cool and id like to warm it up. Would a gold umbrella be the solution?

Here's an example.

Shot with PENTAX K110D at 2007-11-25

11-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #2

a gold umbrella would definatley add some warmth however it might be a bit much, youll get a bitt of a yellow hue to the picture. if the flash is your only source of light then you might just want to change your white ballance. and if you shoot raw you can ad some warmth after the fact without losing picture quality.
11-25-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In a color balance layer, try adding a bit of red, magenta and yellow to taste.
11-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ronald_durst Quote
I did a couple of family shoots last night. Some of the shots came out ok but some not so ok. I used a slave flash and white shoot thru umbrella. It looks like the color is really cool and id like to warm it up. Would a gold umbrella be the solution?

Here's an example.

I changed the colour balance slightly in Paintshop Pro. Is this the effect you were after?

Rusty

Attached Images

11-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
picasa

i did this in picasa with the warmify button. It seems like i lost some sharpness though. I did shoot them in raw but i havent really figured out the pentax software yet. I did figure out how to extract jpegs from them.

I think this is more what i was looking for. I did the custom white balance on my camera and got the cold look. I just have to learn not to trust the camera so much i think.

Then again maybe its a little dark. I got some quick prints from wal mart and unless their printers are off calibration....The originals pix came out pretty good. Im not sure how good my monitor celebration actually is now.

Last edited by ronald_durst; 11-25-2007 at 08:29 PM.
11-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hmmm. I think it's worth working on your monitor calibration. The "warmified" image looks awfully yellowed to me.
11-25-2007, 09:22 PM   #7

Here's an example.

All you need to do is increase the Saturation during post-processing. Any PP software will offer this facility - I used the saturation filter in Picasa in this instance - just moved it a little to the right (the 'warm/red' end).

By the way, if you use Picasa stay AWAY from the 'Warmify' filter - it's a silly name and generally produces an over-the- top result. Personal opinion, of course....

Name:  Too cold.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  32.4 KB
11-26-2007, 02:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Without overriding your camera's default settings (manual instead of auto white balance), you can forget the gold umbrella. The auto white balance feature would likely remove most of the tint in the scene provided by that umbrella. A easier and cheaper solution would be to just try various manual white balance settings until you find the warmth you're seeking. For example, if you're shooting JPEG images using the "Auto" white balance setting, the "Flash" white balance setting might offer warmer colors overall. Another slightly more cumbersome option would be "Custom" white balance using a white piece of paper.

Regardless, I don't see anything particularily wrong with the image posted. The colors are normal, vibrant, and the skin tones healthy. However, the second image posted yesterday (Nov 25) is far too yellow. If that second image looks normal on your monitor, I strongly agree with Matt's suggestion about monitor calibration. In other words, the problem is most likely inaccurate colors shown by your monitor, not the image itself.

Some monitors produce absolutely horrible colors, especially those in some laptop/notebook computers. For example, the colors on my wife's Toshiba notebook are appalling, with the pure blue desktop background set by me almost turquoise on that display. Adding a second monitor, which I feel provides more accurate default colors (Acer AL series LCD displays, such as the AL1916W or AL2216W), ultimately resolved that situation. The color differences between the notebook display and the external display, especially viewed side by side, are simply amazing.

stewart