08-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

The Best Street Photographer You've Never Heard Of

Take a look it's good stuff...

The Best Street Photographer You've Never Heard Of | Mother Jones

08-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Wow, what an inspiring woman. I wonder how many others are out there like her, with incredible talent, hiding it from the world? Kind of sad really...
08-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What an incredible personality with such immense talent. It makes you wish she was discovered earlier so she could get some kind of recognition.

She richly deserved it.
08-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ive heard of Vivian, yes she is excellent!

08-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

vivian maier is ahead of her time.

and the man who found her pictures found a treasure. an immense treasure.
08-06-2011, 02:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Very nice pictures. TFS
08-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing the link to this story of a great talent

08-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Saw it a while ago. Great photos.

I like how most portraits are shot from waist level, something you don't see nowadays.
08-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
MrA

There was (?is?) an exhibition of her work at the Street Photography festival in London this summer.
08-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some fantastic shots...I would love to see more. I am betting there are a ton of shots from the past that are out there in boxes, or unfortunately tossed in the garbage.

For you young whippersnappers, there was a time, long ago when I was a small boy that we would go to the city every week or so and always find that there were a good many "street shooters" with big cameras just snapping away at anyone and everyone. They would give you a little card and if you wanted a photo they just took of you then you contacted them and got a nice print for a few dollars.

How many of those shots were masterpieces? I'm betting that of the millions shot across the globe during that era, there were plenty of wonderful shots. These guys were masters of their machines, and most of them knew what they were doing with the primitive technology available at the time.

Today we speak of small cameras and lenses...clandestine shooting...but back then they were wide open obvious and proud of it. You know, I think it would work today for the right personality...just get out there with a big camera and shoot away...hand out cards and make a little cash while having a ton of fun. If I was a little younger, I'd let you know how it worked out!

Regards!