Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

Getting colors right..Photoshop issues?

Hey gang,

I'm getting frustrated getting colors to look right on my monitor. For some reason, my photos are not independent on which application i use to view them, as it should be imo.

For example, i shot a few RAW shots and i processed one using Pentax Lab to my liking and saved to JPG sRGB. I opened up the photo with the default photo viewer (office photo manager) and it looks more or less how i processed it with Pentax Lab. I now opened the same photo with Photoshop and it looks completely different than the other 2 programs; colors are less saturated and the WB looks a bit different too.

See a photo of the comparison at http://www.njee.com/temp/color/color.jpg

My monitor is profiled with Spyder2PRO.

Thanks,
Peter

11-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
I should add that photos in Bridge look much different than they do in Photoshop as well.
11-25-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not every 'photo editor' is capable of color management. When you profile your monitor you place the profile (in a place where) it is 'in-line' with graphics sent to the monitor (so far so good). But if the editor is not reading the colorspace tag on a file, or not using it properly or at all, then what goes into that pipeline to the monitor is anybodies guess.

Like-wise, if you don't turn the color managment ON. I suspect you don't have it activated in Photoshop--well, beyond the defaults.

The whole mess gets quite involved but it starts with knowing what programs (with version numbers) and in what order you do the workflow; so give that up and folks will know where to chime-in.

QuoteOriginally posted by nystateofmind27 Quote
Hey gang,

I'm getting frustrated getting colors to look right on my monitor. For some reason, my photos are not independent on which application i use to view them, as it should be imo.

For example, i shot a few RAW shots and i processed one using Pentax Lab to my liking and saved to JPG sRGB. I opened up the photo with the default photo viewer (office photo manager) and it looks more or less how i processed it with Pentax Lab. I now opened the same photo with Photoshop and it looks completely different than the other 2 programs; colors are less saturated and the WB looks a bit different too.

See a photo of the comparison at http://www.njee.com/temp/color/color.jpg

My monitor is profiled with Spyder2PRO.

Thanks,
Peter
11-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you John.

I'm not set on a workflow yet, as I'm currently trying to learn to process RAW. I have Photoshop CS3 and Photoshop Laboratory to my disposal.

For viewing photos i like to use Picasa and Office Photo Manager.

11-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK i managed to make Photoshop display photos the same as my viewer application by going to View - Proof Setup and selecting Monitor RGB. I had to go to View and select Proof Colors also.

I guess the problem was that I was in the wrong proofing mode.

I'd like to leave the discussion open to any thoughts on this subject.

Last edited by nystateofmind27; 11-25-2007 at 05:58 PM.
11-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
You shouldn't have to set the proof setup in photoshop to match your monitor's color space. It should already be done by this time by the display driver and the color engine. If you proof to the monitor - how are you going to use the monitor to proof to a printer? - It's the wrong tool.

Also, in the photo you supplied, it looks like the Photoshop version has higher saturation and greater contrast than the office version (not less).

I suggest you look at your photoshop color settings... I doube we could help much without knowing your setup. If you want more help, you could post a screen shot of your color preferences page.

Good luck!

Frank.
11-26-2007, 03:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

photoshop color space

not a pro here , but i have had similar issues int he past......a magenta shift that kicked into every pic' whar seemed to work for me was first setting monitor calibration to adobe gamma, changing color space from srgb to rgb and setting color to shoot rgb instead of srgb.......theoretically, rgb offers a wider color gammet than srgb. btw, adobe has a recent update for cs3 ( which i use ) and bridge.......i wonder did you refer to lightroom, or light box ?, if lightroom, i believe there is also an update for that.
gl and persitence will prevail.......

11-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

OK i managed to make Photoshop display photos the same as my viewer application by going to View - Proof Setup and selecting Monitor RGB. I had to go to View and select Proof Colors also.

I guess the problem was that I was in the wrong proofing mode.

I'd like to leave the discussion open to any thoughts on this subject.
What is your "working space" color profile? Sounds like you have it at AdobeRGB... switch to sRGB and it should look like it does w/ proofing.
11-26-2007, 07:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Definitely looks like a color space discrepancy. Check your color space in photoshop and make sure it is set to sRGB.
11-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here is a screenshop of the color settings option in PS:

I tried changing the Settings to MONITOR COLOR preset and now everything looks uniform, but whenever i open a photo i am asked which color space to use, the one i set in PS or the one of the photo I am editing.

I'm pretty clueless. I just want my photos to look uniform no matter what computer i view it on..i thought that was the point of monitor calibration.

Last edited by nystateofmind27; 11-26-2007 at 11:37 AM.
11-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
How did you guys set up your workspace..anyone?
11-26-2007, 06:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

How did you guys set up your workspace..anyone?
First I bought a copy of Corel Draw, then I shut off all color management to save myself a whole bunch of grief. Oh and I use a CRT not an LCD and calibrate it w/ a Huey... works for me....
Except for a VERY expensive monitor you can't "see" all of aRGB so it's really best to boil everything down to the "least common denominator" until you do a whole bunch of research and prepare yourself for some significant growing pains.

Luminous Landscape Forum -> aRGB Monitor prices
Photoshop Color Management | PhotoshopSupport.com

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-26-2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Just adding links:
11-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is frustrating me to no end. How can 2 applications display the same sRGB photo complete different....
11-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

stand by...

This is frustrating me to no end. How can 2 applications display the same sRGB photo complete different....
11-27-2007, 10:23 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
stand by...
ok. Thanks.