Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Phantom cam shoots 1 million frames per second

Phantom cam shoots 1 million frames per second – Boing Boing

QuoteQuote:
Vision Research's Phantom v1610 shoots 1m fps, albeit at the rather low resolution of 128x16. At a more modern 1280x800, however, it still packs in 16,000 shots every second. A 10Gb ethernet link and other high-end connections will keep the data flowing; how many seconds of footage its 96GB of internal storage can hold is left as an exercise for the reader.
Just think of the slo-mo footage we could shoot with this baby, eh?

http://www.visionresearch.com/Products/High-Speed-Cameras/v1610/

QuoteQuote:
With our proprietary widescreen CMOS sensor, the v1610 can acquire and save up to 16 gigapixels-per-second of data. That means at its full megapixel resolution of 1280 x 800, you can achieve 16,000 frames-per-second (fps). At reduced resolutions, the v1610 offers frame rates of 650,000 fps. Further underscoring its versatility, the camera can be ordered with our unique FAST option (export controlled), which enables frame rates up to 1,000,000 fps.
Oh wait, the FAST option is export-controlled. You Canadians can't have one. Sorry.

08-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
The Phantoms produce some beautiful footage.
08-10-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Export controlled just means that you have to through some extra paperwork to guarantee that you are not buying it for a weapons system or similar, which should not be a problem if you have a reputeable background and buy it from a "friendly" country. Canada should be included. Heck, even Sweden is. I bought a motion gyro system some years ago that was good enough to guide a cruising misile so we had to go through that export/import permission.
08-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Oh wait, the FAST option is export-controlled. You Canadians can't have one. Sorry.
You choose the wrong country what about China

08-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Export controlled just means that you have to through some extra paperwork to guarantee that you are not buying it for a weapons system or similar, which should not be a problem if you have a reputeable background and buy it from a "friendly" country. Canada should be included. Heck, even Sweden is. I bought a motion gyro system some years ago that was good enough to guide a cruising misile so we had to go through that export/import permission.
They turned Otis down.....
08-10-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have seen a demo of one of those where I used to work. Did not need the speed so we stuck with the slow ones, 400 000 frames per second. But I do not think when I worked there I ever shot more than 12000 which is plenty fast enough to record the shock wave from an explosion.
Employer was (still is but a different job) Department of National Defence Canada. By the way the method they work is constantly recording and then you trigger a stop and what is in memory you download so there is a maximum lenght of time, at least in the way we used them. If the power chord was cut by flying debris you lost your recording. If I remember correctly I would set up for under 400 milliseconds and then delete about half of that time as nothing happened. There is a program to cut the frame rate to the standard video one for playback. Our cameras were set up to use Nikon lenses but am sure that any mount could be used. We have had lens mounts blown off (we were working around explosions ).
08-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
We have had lens mounts blown off (we were working around explosions ).
Sounds like fun! When I drive to San Francisco I pass a boulevard formerly known as Explosive Technology Road. I'll wager that a few of such cameras can be found there, or at least their remains.

Yes, what would mega-fps cameras be doing, except recording explosions and projectiles? What are the non-military applications?

08-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Sounds like fun! When I drive to San Francisco I pass a boulevard formerly known as Explosive Technology Road. I'll wager that a few of such cameras can be found there, or at least their remains.

Yes, what would mega-fps cameras be doing, except recording explosions and projectiles? What are the non-military applications?
Other uses would be for any product that could suffer extremely fast failures. Car crashes are of course one but in the military they test the effectiveness of visors and boots and non military can test safety equipment. Mythbusters use them in their shows as do people studying animal movement or even some plant actions such as a flytrapper catching its prey. Remember that it was high speed photography (for its time) that proved how horses run.
08-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
... it was high speed photography (for its time) that proved how horses run.
I better go to bed, getting too tired...I read that as "...how nurses run"
08-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I better go to bed, getting too tired...I read that as "...how nurses run"
Well, them too, as long as they were naked.
08-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On a related note, here's an awesome collection of slow motion videos:

10 of the Most Mind-Blowing Slow Motion Videos You've Ever Seen