Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, Vancouver folks

The wife and I are going to Knight Inlet Sept 3rd-6th, then spend the 7th-10th in your beautiful city. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions as what to do and see. We won't have a car, but would be willing to rent one for something neat. Do to physical limitations (bad knees, bad hips, broken back) I can't do much strenuous hiking or long walks. I have some of the tourist info, but thought it would be better to get some local insight and experience. Looking for interesting things to do as well as photo opps. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Dennis

08-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Umm, Vancouver, BC or Vancouver, WA?
08-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Visit the Museum of Anthropology
Take the gondola up Grouse Mountain

Rent a car and visit Whitecliff and Lighthouse Parks (close to each other and little strenuous walking), have lunch at Horseshoe Bay, drive to Deep Cove

Hang out at Stanley Park on first beach and swim in the pool then go to the aquarium nearby, then watch a cricket match at Brockton Oval, grab a bite at the lookout for the Lion's Gate Bridge

Walk Robson Street, Chinatown, and Gastown (all a bit touristy, but a long morning walk with lots of stops on between an 40 Starbucks)

I grew up in Vancouver! Photo ops are everywhere.
08-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry, Vancouver B.C. I forgot about the other one.

08-15-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
Forum Member

I don't live in Vancouver, but I have visited several times and have some relatives there. It's a beautiful city, and there are millions of photo ops. If you like people stuff, it's a good idea to take a walk around part of the seawall, or maybe take the False Creek Ferry over to Granville Island. It has a great indoor public market and lots of other shops and things to see. There might even be some street performers out doing oddball things. You won't want to walk the entire wall (due to physical limitations you mentioned), but one nice thing about it is that it's relatively flat (there are some real climbs in that town!).

Sunset Beach is nice at sunset (go figure), but you may or may not be put off by the oil tankers bobbing around outside the bay. Whistler is a relatively short car ride nort of town, too.
08-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm looking forward to this trip. I've heard much about Vancouver. Should be a lot of fun.
08-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vancouverite here!

I'm a local!

There is plenty to do in Vancouver! Now it's just a matter of WHAT to do.

A lot of good stuff has already been mentioned so I will mention other items.

With the Olympics here, we have the Olympic torch, which is right next to the Vancouver Convention Center and the 8-bit orca whale. Walk along Coal Harbour and you hit Stanley Park (great place to walk, rollerblade, bike, stroll, crawl).

There's also Whistler if you want to go up a bit further! It's got it's own culture

Lynn Canyon is also a beautiful area, and don't forget the Capilano suspension bridge. Deep Cove should also be considered in this area as a nice little town away from towns by the Burrard Inlet.

Also consider kayaking/canoeing and checking out various beaches and parks!

Lots more to consider but I will let others chime in

08-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple more ideas:

Queen Elizabeth Park (Little Mountain): Located in the middle of Vancouver and has a great sunken garden and great views of downtown Vancouver and the North Shore mountains.

Vancouver Park Board - Queen Elizabeth Park

Burnaby Mountain/Simon Fraser University: Burnaby Mountain also has great views of Vancouver and SFU is an architectural masterpiece designed by Arthur Erickson.

Burnaby Mountain, Burnaby

arthur erickson-simon fraser university

Steveston & Gulf of Georgia canary: Great place for pictures of fishing boats and lunch. (Fish & Chips)

Small Town Escape: Steveston, B.C.'s Fishing Village Charm | Frommers.com

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 08-15-2011 at 09:51 PM.
08-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You guys are great. Many thanks for all the ideas

Dennis