Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Need suggestions on project

I have been shooting nature, buildings, and some concerts. But I have a project for my Photoshop/ photograph class due in a week and I'm not sure how to go about it. It is a portrait shot, shoulders and up, with a film nior style lighting on the face (half lit, have shadow). So I asked my girlfriend to be my model and she agreed, the problem is she feels she does not photograph well. So I have two issues, one is the lightning, how can I set up some source of light to accomplish the wanted look, with standard everyday stuff. Two how can I make my model feel comfortable enough? I assume the nose and chin might be where she lacks confidence in herself. So is there away to make those features less noticeable? Maybe positioning of her hands or tilting of the head in some direction? As I've never done anything like this before, I don't want to go into this not knowing anything. I did decide that I want to do it in black and white, but may try some color shots. Please any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Tom

Oh and I have a K100d with a Tamron 28-200f 3.5 and of course a tripod. Boy I wish my new SMC 50 1.4 would be here in time. But I can not use a flash what so ever.

11-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Everyday stuff? Get a lamp with a strong bulb for lighting and put a reflector behind it to intensify the light. No reflector? Get a large piece of cardboard and tape aluminum foil to one side. Bam, a reflector for $2.
11-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To complement the aluminum foil on cardboard idea suggested by SJ, get yourself a couple of flat pieces of white styrofoam to redirect the light to the spots where you need it. At the hardware/construction places they have small sheets used for wall insulation. They're usually a couple of dollars and can be re-used for other shoots.

As far as poses - if she's self-conscious about her chin and nose, don't shoot from the bottom up (you lower than her face) or have her tilt her head back. Full profile also tends to highlight the nose and chin. And sure, strategically place her (or your) hands/arms for the desired effect.

To make her feel more comfortable - talk durning the shoot, keep things light, tell her there are no mistakes, have her be herself under the lights. I've found that when people are nervous/self-conscious, it helps to lead them into it gently, praise them as you go ("Nice, hold that" "That's it, let me see that smile" "OK, so someone ate your last candybar - you're upset"). Usually they get into it! It's worked with adults all the way down to pre-teens! Most of all in your situation, tell ehr you will show her the photos when you guys are done. From your assignment I gather she might not even be recognizable in the photo, so work with that.

And finally, you can surprise her and tell her you're going out to dinner/movie/coffee/shopping after the shoot .
11-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or pose her by the window.

11-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your best light is with a window facing away from the direct sun, or any other direct light source. The bigger the window the better - the light gets softer as the window gets bigger.

You can also soften the light with sheers or with a plain white plastic shower curtain (thanks, Scott Kelby for that one!).

A reflector to fill the other side should be very subdued. Your project sounds like the instructor wants a chiaroscuro shot - this is very dramatic lighting. You want only as much light on the shadow side as needed to make that side visible.

You may want to add another reflector above and behind your girl friend about 45 degrees off the window, the girl sideways and vertically. This will highlight the hair from behind, and add to the atmosphere.

Use a longer lens to minimize the nose and chin. This should be at least 100mm 35 equivalent, or even a 135 if her nose is really prominent. You might pose her with her chin in her hand, facing directly at the lens.

Pose her so that there is a highlight in the eyes, and make sure every eyelash is in perfect focus. The rest of the shot can be soft, but you really, really need the eyes in focus.

As you are working with Photoshop, you might try the vignette slider to darken all the edges and put her in a halo.

Good luck with the project!
11-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your help and tips. Hopefully i can get her over soon to start taking pictures. Her nose and chin aren't big but she hates them, for some reason. Again thank you and hopefully I'll have some shots up later this week.

Tom
11-28-2007, 03:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Tell her what I told my wife when she complained about her drivers license picture...."Sweetheart, it doesn't have to look good. It just has to look like you."

12-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
well I wasn't able to get my GF over to do this project, so I had to do a self portrait instead. So I took a couple of pictures, not to many because I really didn't want to take myself, plus I always feel that I can get a perfect focus. I liked this one even though it is a little soft. Let me know what you think, as I said I didn't try too hard as I didn't want to be the subject.

CC welcome
Tom

If this is dark please let me know as my LCD is quite bright.

Last edited by Redmanll34; 12-03-2007 at 02:14 PM.
12-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's quite a nice portrait. May I suggest that the background is a bit distracting. I believe that the image is good, but if you crop it to a vertical, just outside your right (left as seen) shoulder, and above the gap between the sleeve and the body of the shirt, and again on the right.

When you are done, put up the results. Your eyes should end up about 1/3 from the right and 1/3 from the top, if my eyballs are working correctly today.
12-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Did you mean something like this?

Also for the school project I had to do something similar to film noir, that is why the background is there.

Thank you
Tom