Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Well, I am long retired but may be the only one around here.

In my 30+ years, I never had occasion to do more than ask a photog what he was doing after getting a complaint from a citizen, never just on my own self initiation. In every case, I found they were either working (reporter, surveyor, realtor, assessor, etc.) or simply shooting something interesting or pretty. Being a photographer myself, I understand that. Except in certain, specific cases (stalking comes to mind,) there is no law against taking pictures of pretty buildings, flowers or scenery so I just went on to reassure the complainant and let the photographer go about his business. No harm no foul.

Disclaimer: I retired from active law enforcement before 9/11. Things are a bit different now but I still don't think there are any laws against artistic or tourist-type photography in public places in my jurisdiction. I do it all the time.

Rather than a "terrorist" issue, I think people are more freaked out by paparazzi. Those jack-a**es have given us all a bad rap and made street photography more difficult and confrontational for anyone with a camera.

08-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Ballpoint pens, too.
... Diesel, U-Hauls, Storage Facilities, Limousines, Truck Rentals, Fertilizer, Nails, Ball Bearings, Vests, Needles, Canvas, Cotton Wadding, Alarm Clocks, Mobile Phones, High-Density Polyethylene (Milk Bottles), Laptops, Computers in General, "The Internet", Skype, Libraries, State's Departments Public Information Services, Box Cutters, Shoes, Training Manuals, Documentaries, News Outlets, The Discovery Channel, Underpants and most importantly (since its a key ingredient to everything that goes Bang or wants to otherwise make things go bang) - Oxygen (including all forms of coalesced oxygen).

We should probably move to regulate all these things in the best interests of security and homeland defense.

Actually - Maybe just regulate the Oxygen - since that would be the most logical 'top down' approach wouldn't it ?

Last edited by adr1an; 08-14-2011 at 11:03 PM.
08-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
Reality check - With that logic, who needs terrorists?
Indeed. The level of paranoia in some places is truly outrageous.
It made me think of how my dad got through 3 years in the Canadian Air Force, during WWII, with a (forbidden) camera. He was interested in photography before he joined, & had some fun dodging authorities, & a few close calls, but they never found his camera. And no, he was not a spy!!

"Among the non-criminal behaviors which shall be reported ... are the usage of binoculars and cameras ... taking pictures or video footage 'with no apparent esthetic value,' and taking notes."
Seriously??? A really skillful terrorist should have a plan for this... (or they will, now) Guy with binoculars, camera & scope is checking out his target, cop approaches, guy says he's birdwatching, & didn't the cop see that red-necked Pacific Gollywobbler that just flew behind the building? I mean, come ON. He just has to be a good actor.

They'd probably shoot or taser me on sight without bothering to ask any questions. I use a K1000. Everything is manual. If I have time, after I take a picture, I pull a little piece of paper & a tiny pencil out of my camera bag & record my exposure. I like to keep a record.
Note to self: NEVER visit Long Beach.
08-15-2011, 02:24 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
there are other examples of hyper-vigilance, while it's not photography related this makes for an interesting read.

08-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is anybody else remember when the USA was the champion of individual rights and freedom. I can remember when we were indeed " The land of the free, and the home of the brave."
The statue of liberty will soon read "Welcome to the land of the oppressed struggling to be free"
08-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Relax boys! It could be worse.....In America if you are an old woman 87 years old, blind and in a wheelchair, holding your granddaughter's DSLR while she goes to the restroom, they will not detain you, they will just shoot you on sight.

Regards!
08-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

One would think with all the celebs and the paparazzi in that area that the police in Long Beach would be positively blase about people with cameras....

08-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photography is NOT A CRIME! no matter what this moron police chief thinks... and if it ever goes so far that someone actually goes to court over his "policy" hopefully he will have his arse handed to him on a plate.

Little "Hermann Göring's" like this guy and his gestapo are doing the terrorists work far better than they can do it themselves.

I'd really like to know what this "Special Order No. 11" is that he mentions in the main article...

Mike
08-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Indeed, the next time I see one of Google's 360-degree camera cars I will be sure to report it to the police. That would be the best episode of Cops ever.

Bad Boys,
Bad Boys,
Whatcha gonna do when they upload you?
08-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I don't think the photos are what motivates the police to detain people (in America), I think it is the attitude. A similar situation might be when a cop asks someone to take a sobriety test. If the person reacts by showing anger, the cop might interpret it as defensiveness, and assume the person has been drinking. I don't know. I'd be interested in hearing the response of a police officer, if there are any on the forum.
If I was sitting in a resturant behaving properly and have a glass of wine with my diner and a police officer asked me to take a sobriety test I would be less than cooperative. Your ananolgy is bad in that being drunk in public or impaired while driving is illegal. Taking photos is not. Nor are you required to show ID whenever asked to do so. If you want to drive or buy beer or get a student discount yes you do but you do not need to have ID with you at all.
08-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Better not take any pictures of the BART system. They would probably handcuff you then shoot you in the back.

FCC probing BART's shutdown of cellphone service - latimes.com
08-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I'd really like to know what this "Special Order No. 11" is that he mentions in the main article...
Mike
Here you go:
http://www.aclu-wa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/LAPD%20SAR%20Program.pdf
08-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Photography is NOT A CRIME! no matter what this moron police chief thinks... and if it ever goes so far that someone actually goes to court over his "policy" hopefully he will have his arse handed to him on a plate.

Little "Hermann Göring's" like this guy and his gestapo are doing the terrorists work far better than they can do it themselves.

Mike
That's pretty strong language Mike, but probably not strong enough. Once a precedent is set, and not challenged, it is all over but the crying.

Having said that, will someone reassure Otis that you can't get smallpox from being photographed.....he swears he read that here.....

Best Regards!
08-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Some of these guys would completely freak out and soil themselves if they knew that some of the old takumars are actually radioactive... Get a few million together and they might reach critical mass and explode...

ROTFLMAO!!!
08-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I'm sorry, he did say they will detain people if necessary in the officer's judgement. That is pretty broad, but my guess would be that plenty of places have this type of policy...however, if they ever do catch a terrorist under this policy, I don't think too many of us will be mad because the terrorist's rights were violated.
No, but ass-clowns like the Long Beach Chief of Police are as dangerous to tearing down the Constitution of the U.S.A. as the terrorists are. Small Pox never should have been kept around.