Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Bang Bang Club

Hello Pentaxians!
Interested in photojournalism? Or want to know the story behind this famous and controversial photograph taken by Pulitzer Award winner photographer Kevin Carter?

Watch "The Bang Bang Club" movie!
Here's a trailer of the movie:
It's a movie that reenacts the story of some group of combat photographers way back in 90's that later are called The Bang Bang Club.

Here's another movie, but a documentary film about James Nachtwey (also a friend of those from the Bang Bang Club), a photojournalist who covers war and believes that a photograph can save lives and change the world.
The film is called War Photographer.
Here's a trailer:

Enjoy!

Last edited by richard balonglong; 08-15-2011 at 12:24 AM.
08-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That is, literally, the saddest picture I have ever seen.
When I look at it all I can think about is the mindless, senseless suffering.
And it goes on to this day.

It's one of those "where in the hell is god?" shots.

Apparently Carter felt the same way and ultimately couldn't live with it.
08-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I watched The Bang Bang Club and really liked the movie, I highly recommend it. It really shows a different perspective of the way combat photographers & photo journalists work.
08-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Carter had a lot of personal problems before taking that image, but the reaction from some sectors to that photo and conflicting accounts of what Carter did certainly didn't help things. A stunning photo, it sticks in people's minds like few others, and not because it's gruesome, but just because it's so downright terrible and sad.

Haven't seen the film, but for what I would assume is a more accurate story, also get hold of the book The Bang-Bang Club: Snapshots from a Hidden War (which I think was adapted into the film), which is by Joao Silva and Greg Marinovich, the two left from the original four. Marinovich also won a Pulitzer during the coverage in South Africa. I think at least Silva was around on the set at some points during filming. If you're interested in Carter, also see the documentary The Death of Kevin Carter: Casualty of the Bang Bang Club.

The violence in South Africa was really unusual in terms of photography for these guys, because not only were they covering their own land, but they could usually go home at night, get up in the morning, and drive back to the townships looking for trouble spots. They also came to the conclusion of how the white government was arming both sides of the violence.

For those who don't know, Silva, one of the two remaining from the 'club', lost his legs to a landmine in Afghanistan last year. There's been a lot on the New York Times Lens blog (he was working for NYT at the time from memory), about his rehabilitation. I think this is the latest. He's a hell of a tough guy (he took photos after his legs were blown off) and also very nice according to many people.

I would fully recommend War Photographer. Nachtwey is a giant of modern photojournalism. He almost always gets in close, works wide, and often produces stunning compositions, at the right moments, of horrific things. How the guy is still alive is beyond me, but in the trailer, when the gunshots go off, with a bunch of people on the ground, is when Ken Oosterbroeck (Bang Bang Club) was killed next to Nachtwey.

He was seriously wounded in Iraq several years back, but recovered fully. He often shoots not just 'war' itself, but the effects - famines, displacement etc, as well as other tragedies and violence.

If you're a big fan of his, also try to get the book Inferno. Massive book, very horrific moments, and absolutely stunning in quality.