Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
So, can't you just stop using Quaaludes? Or do you need them?
I'm not the one who needs sedating. Hopefully. Fortunately, my MIL is already calm.

08-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Thanks, but what's your obstacle?
Don't really have one, wife is good and let's me go where I want and shoot what I want. Got nice gear. Umm have to say my current skill level ... but that's not quite what you were looking for is it
08-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not much Otis won't do to block a good bird shot.....

Did I do that?

Regards!
08-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One question has your MIL ever even seen a fox outside a zoo? Think about it. Your photo op might be something amazing for her. She probably got excited, and anyway, what's more important a good pic or marital harmony? She's only there for a week. You can do it, you can...

08-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

OK guys, enough about me - what about you?

What obstacles do you encounter in your photographic pursuits?
1. My cat, unless I carry the camera around 24 hours a day he always does something cute and then stops the very second I'm ready to photograph him.

2. Birds at our feeder, they ALWAYS know when I've got my camera and proceed to disappear at that point.

3. Any relative who always grins at a camera when you're trying to get a nice candid shot at a reunion or other event. Almost as bad as those who always duck away the second you've got your camera ready.

4. Pentax Forums, I spend too much time reading & replying to threads when I should be out photographing. Stop posting so much interesting, relevant and amusing stuff, folks. Like threads about obstacles to photography.
08-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

OK guys, enough about me - what about you?

What obstacles do you encounter in your photographic pursuits?
Mostly the lens cap, to be honest.
08-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photography is a stupid thing to do when you are not making money with it period = quote my MIL. But onto her I never was anything at all. Just a few years ago she stopped by to tell me, and she specifically told me not to comment because it wasn't any different, that she had disinherited me. In her opinion it wasn't such a good idea I should ever have anything from her and she left. I never said a word. Never needed to anyway, as soon as I was ever even to utter a word she would get out of her chair and start to leave. But my HUSBAND adores his mother, why shouldn't he.

Now I more often than not see her face before me when taking pictures, no good girl, it will never ever bring you money, it only costs you which is BAD BAD BAD, it is not for you, it is for the family!!!!!!!!! she just didn't like me. Now I have a daughter in law and I am terrified to think she might think of me as such a MIL! and now I see two faces when taking pictures. Which is a blurring factor.

08-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
4. Pentax Forums, I spend too much time reading & replying to threads when I should be out photographing. Stop posting so much interesting, relevant and amusing stuff, folks. Like threads about obstacles to photography.
A major impediment, we are. Ignore us, you should. Doomed, you are.
08-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A major impediment, we are. Ignore us, you should. Doomed, you are.
Actually, I like to think of Pentax Forums as my sane retreat from the mad world, the place where everyone seems to think as I do. Though my wife just commented that "You're always on that place now!!"

Oh well, everyone needs a retreat, Thank Adam that this place exists.
08-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

My Mom is perfect....Mrs Rupert had better never forget it!

Regards!
08-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #26
Veteran Member

One word: Quaaludes.
hahaha, yep ludes are an impediment to most things
08-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Actually, I like to think of Pentax Forums as my sane retreat from the mad world
I've been online since I soldered-together a HeathKit H8 system in 1980, complete with a line-powered US Robotics 300-baud modem. (Ah, the days of SCUM: Sonoma County Users of Modems!) I've netted on MicroNet, WWIVnet, FidoNet, and now this InterNet thang. I've been active in AI/AL, fundy-bashing, politics-UFOs, conspiracy-debunking, all sortsa sh!t. (And Helen Keller jokes, of course.) I no longer indulge in futile ideological rants. I don't watch TV either, nor listen to news|talk radio. All that madness is more than I wish to subject myself to.

So I concentrate here, where I can maybe actually learn and teach, in a realm where both facts and aesthetics matter, and where opinions can be tested. Politico-religio-economo-socio-pathic disputes? Can't do much about them except rant, or suffer silently. Lens mods? THOSE I can handle! Yes, in optics is order, is reason, is a reality we can shape if we just learn a bit more. And there's always more to learn. And it doesn't depend on corruption.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
hahaha, yep ludes are an impediment to most things
My suggestion was to apply them to the impeding person, not to yourself. Not unless you really need them.
08-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I've been online since I soldered-together a HeathKit H8 system in 1980
I always wanted the combination paper tape punch/reader they had available. My first real on-line experience (excepting the college mainframe) was my Radio Shack Model 100 with Acoustic coupler and telling my parents to not make any loud noises in case the coupler thought it was a valid character. Ahh 300baud.

Happy memories probably best remembered through the softening effect of time.
08-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #29
Veteran Member

So I concentrate here, where I can maybe actually learn and teach, in a realm where both facts and aesthetics matter, and where opinions can be tested. Politico-religio-economo-socio-pathic disputes? Can't do much about them except rant, or suffer silently. Lens mods? THOSE I can handle! Yes, in optics is order, is reason, is a reality we can shape if we just learn a bit more. And there's always more to learn. And it doesn't depend on corruption..
Well said - I agree with it all!
08-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I always wanted the combination paper tape punch/reader they had available.
If you look at my profile you'll see my real name is RATTMAN! RATT means RTTY means radiotelegraphy. That was one of my US Army jobs (besides photography) -- I could type 80wpm on a KSR33 teletype keyboard whose keys required 50lb pressure. Yeah, I could break doorknobs with that grip. And the output? Rolls of paper for reading (I still have a couple), rolls of paper tape for storage|retransmission. I used to send love letters on paper tape to cute WAC geeklets (I kept one of those rolls too). Ah, them was the days...

I rarely used the papertape option for my H8. I splurged, spent US$1200 (in 1980 bucks!) on a H17-3 drive system -- three 91k hard-sector single-sided single-density disk drives in a box, storing all of 273k at a time. Just enough for source code, text editor, COBOL compiler, and link-ed library. Yeah, I used audio cassette storage a couple times with the H8 (that really sucked) and also with the Sinclair ZX-80 I built from a kit. Save and load times -- forget it. Go make a cup of coffee, have breakfast, come back when the load is done. Modern technology IS better.