Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time, or lack thereof.

08-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
If you look at my profile you'll see my real name is RATTMAN! RATT means RTTY means radiotelegraphy. That was one of my US Army jobs (besides photography) -- I could type 80wpm on a KSR33 teletype keyboard whose keys required 50lb pressure. Yeah, I could break doorknobs with that grip. And the output? Rolls of paper for reading (I still have a couple), rolls of paper tape for storage|retransmission. I used to send love letters on paper tape to cute WAC geeklets (I kept one of those rolls too). Ah, them was the days...

I rarely used the papertape option for my H8. I splurged, spent US$1200 (in 1980 bucks!) on a H17-3 drive system -- three 91k hard-sector single-sided single-density disk drives in a box, storing all of 273k at a time. Just enough for source code, text editor, COBOL compiler, and link-ed library. Yeah, I used audio cassette storage a couple times with the H8 (that really sucked) and also with the Sinclair ZX-80 I built from a kit. Save and load times -- forget it. Go make a cup of coffee, have breakfast, come back when the load is done. Modern technology IS better.
Wow, fascinating. I'm glad I was able to get in to some of those things even though it was at the end. At college we had some GE terminets for program entry, they would read & punch tape so we saved all our games every semester since they erased the main storage at that time. I think I still have some paper tapes with Star Trek & a few other games on them. I remember the cassette tape too well especially with the unmodifed TRS-80 Model I. Store your program and if you're lucky you'd be able to read it back.

I agree, modern technology IS better except when you try to figure out why some software won't run on your specific machine whereas it seems to run on all the other millions of machines out there.
08-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Other people do get in my way, yes. I'm the caretaker kid, the go to person. I'm constantly giving up any photo time I might have to go do something for my parents, my roomies, friends, whoever. It's just life, you know? I do make sure I get some "me" time every day though. But yeah, I'd like to have the time (and the cool weather) to be able to shoot more than I do.
08-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back to the subject....

Regards!

08-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Send her out for coffee. Again.
08-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
remember the cassette tape
Still use one on GE series 1 fanuc, zilog z-80(octal!) inside there.
Hows that for blast from past?.Part and most of home control system is on it.
Have sump on it currently,discharges quarter hourly.Have hummingbird feeder
by discharge outlet,like clockwork(10 millisecond internal counter),sump evacuates
birds hear water trickling,come running and I just sit there and wait,
photographically bang away 4 times an hour
Life's never been easier.
08-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
... zilog z-80(octal!) inside there.
Hows that for blast from past?
In my (other) hand at this very moment is my Casio CM-100 computer math calculator with options to display in decimal, binary, hex, and... OCTAL! That HeathKit H8? It had an i8080 (going Z80 was a major upgrade!) and a front-panel keypad and display in... OCTAL! Oh, that glorious moment when I'd hand-entered the monitor routine (on that OCTAL keypad) and the string of LED alphanumerics started scrolling, YOUR H8 IS UP AND RUNNING !!!!! I fell asleep with my head next to the CPU...

ObTopic: The only people who obstruct my photography are 1) myself, and 2) anyone standing in front of me that I don't tower over, and there ain't many of them. What else obstructs photography? Boredom and routine; running the same routes hurriedly; fast traffic on narrow twisty roads so I can't stop and shoot; boring clear or hazy blue-ish skies (I WANT MORE CLOUDS!); the same damn trees.

08-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Shooting at SF Zoo...

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Thanks, but what's your obstacle?
I was shooting at the SF Zoo a few weeks back. My wife, our 3 year old daughter, and myself were walking around the gorilla field. We find one lookout where no one else is standing around. The lookout is low to the ground with a pavillion on top and a plexiglass separation from the gorilla field. Our kid walks up to the plexiglass and puts her face up to it. One of the giant gorillas walks fairly briskly over to the plexiglass and puts its face right up against it. There were literally fractions of inches, or thereabouts, separating this mammoth gorilla's head from my 3-year old's. I am trying to get a shot but I keep backing up since I have an old 135mm prime on my K-5. I get a couple of blurry shots then, within seconds, the space fills up with people and I get pushed further and further away not being able to get any more shots whatsoever. Within seconds of that the gorilla walks away. I swear it gave us the finger as it walked away, too.

Last edited by lammie200; 08-17-2011 at 01:31 PM.
08-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Hmmm... I would like to share somewhat "obstacle" in my photography. This may sound rude, but here it is... My girlfriend! hehehe. Why?? Every time I plan for a shoot she always steps-in and tell me that we'll go out for a walk or a dinner or a date. It's like she's doing that on purpose! But if I'll bring along her from my photo shoot, and when the time I'll pull out my camera to shoot she'll go mad and don't want to talk to me. Usually, she'll just walks-out. So, I have to fallow her and talk to her. She feels like she's out-of-place if I'll shoot something other than her face. And, if I have a round-trip travel for a paid photo shoot, she still gets mad and tells me "go! marry your camera!". Man!! Her attitude is a big obstacle!! hehehe... >8D
08-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Hmmm... I would like to share somewhat "obstacle" in my photography. This may sound rude, but here it is... My girlfriend! hehehe. Why?? Every time I plan for a shoot she always steps-in and tell me that we'll go out for a walk or a dinner or a date. It's like she's doing that on purpose! But if I'll bring along her from my photo shoot, and when the time I'll pull out my camera to shoot she'll go mad and don't want to talk to me. Usually, she'll just walks-out. So, I have to fallow her and talk to her. She feels like she's out-of-place if I'll shoot something other than her face. And, if I have a round-trip travel for a paid photo shoot, she still gets mad and tells me "go! marry your camera!". Man!! Her attitude is a big obstacle!! hehehe... >8D
Sounds like she just doesn't want you to have anything to do with photography. Especially with the paid photo shoot. If it's paid then it's almost work. If she doesn't want you to work then what DOES she expect.

You might have to call her bluff on this one and be prepared to follow your camera rather than her.
08-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #41
Veteran Member

You need a new girlfriend, one that is far less self-centered. Anyone who truly isn't comfortable with you holding a camera unless it's aimed at them has serious issues of the clinging, jealousy kind. It's a machine, a tool to be used, not another woman around to compete with. I wouldn't even offer to take her along and if she keeps throwing tantrums like a two year old over your wanting to shoot, I'd tell her that it's unacceptable and mean it. If she gives you further grief I'd say goodbye, even if it hurts.

If she's this bad about your photography think about how bad she is going to be over anything else that takes any time away from her. Is that what you want? A significant other who you can't take two steps away from without a fight? Someone who insists upon being the center of your world 24/7, 7 days a week? That's no way to live.

I actually stopped seeing a guy for similar reasons. His behavior was a like that and it was a major red flag. If he'd had his way I would have never spoken to anyone but him. I would have never had any kind of activity that didn't involve him. I would have never went anywhere without him. Forget the boudoir work I want to do or shooting any guys at all. That would have been out of the question.

I see someone acting like that and it's like they have a sign on their heads screaming "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!!!!"
08-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
If she doesn't want you to work then what DOES she expect.
That's my big question to her. I don't want to just hang around in my home and just wait for her. And I don't want to become a bum. hehe...

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
You need a new girlfriend, one that is far less self-centered. Anyone who truly isn't comfortable with you holding a camera unless it's aimed at them has serious issues of the clinging, jealousy kind. It's a machine, a tool to be used, not another woman around to compete with. I wouldn't even offer to take her along and if she keeps throwing tantrums like a two year old over your wanting to shoot, I'd tell her that it's unacceptable and mean it. If she gives you further grief I'd say goodbye, even if it hurts.

If she's this bad about your photography think about how bad she is going to be over anything else that takes any time away from her. Is that what you want? A significant other who you can't take two steps away from without a fight? Someone who insists upon being the center of your world 24/7, 7 days a week? That's no way to live.

I actually stopped seeing a guy for similar reasons. His behavior was a like that and it was a major red flag. If he'd had his way I would have never spoken to anyone but him. I would have never had any kind of activity that didn't involve him. I would have never went anywhere without him. Forget the boudoir work I want to do or shooting any guys at all. That would have been out of the question.

I see someone acting like that and it's like they have a sign on their heads screaming "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!!!!"
Yeah, it seemed that my camera is another woman to compete with to her. She keeps on throwing tantrums if I go out to shoot, especially if I have to travel for a photo shoot. Each and every time I travel, she gets mad and saying a lot of unpleasant things. Every time I travel, she feels that I'm not going back and see her anymore. What the?! I'm just going to other place to photograph a wedding or a special event! And, one more thing, she always says that she supports me in everything that I do. That what she's saying, but in reality NOT. Me and my photography buddies had a lot of photo exhibits before, but not one of those exhibits she came with me and give support or at least had her presence. But instead, she's throwing tantrums and go to another place, then text me through cellphone saying "your photography is more important than me!". Damn! With that attitude, we always have a fight. I always talk back to her and disagree on what she wants me to do. I fight back because I don't want to become like a "dog with a leash". hehehe...
08-18-2011, 01:33 AM   #43
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Mother-in-law and other obstacles to photography
Great title to a thread.

I'm still trying to feed my mother in law to the beast that lives near by, the obstacle is "she" don't come around often, that's the beast not the mother in law.
08-18-2011, 02:28 AM   #44
Veteran Member

She keeps on throwing tantrums...
Is the sex worth this?

I'm reminded of this ancient wisdom:

Don't hook up with someone more nutz than you.

ObTopic: My MIL is no problem at all. She gave me her Minolta stuff to sell.
08-18-2011, 04:49 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Is the sex worth this?

I'm reminded of this ancient wisdom:

Don't hook up with someone more nutz than you.

ObTopic: My MIL is no problem at all. She gave me her Minolta stuff to sell.
hehehe. I don't really know.