Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shooting Christmas Lights outside Helpful info

OKay the thread about White Balance at night got me thinking and of course a google search gave me the spot I did not think to look Strobist: How to Photograph Christmas Lights it actually answered a few questions.

So if anyone else has good advise on getting Holiday lights pictures please post them here.

Here is one from me before I ready the article and was just playing around in the front yard.

I am sure someone has tips on slow sync to include people with the lights?

11-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks Pat
11-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
NOt one person has a helpful hint on shooting Holiday lights. HMMM I thought for sure there would be a few.
11-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Pat, what do you mean
QuoteQuote:
slow sync to include people with the lights?

11-30-2007, 08:06 AM   #5

I think that slow sync flash refers to a (usually) outdoor photo at night.
On a long exposure, a short low power flash burst fires at the beginning of the exposure to light the faces/bodies of people in the foreground, and then the shutter remains open to properly expose the rest of the dark scene.
My K100D has an automatic slow sync setting somewhere in the menus...
11-30-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
NOt one person has a helpful hint on shooting Holiday lights. HMMM I thought for sure there would be a few.
I was planning on taking the advice from Strobist at the nearby town that has the enormously large garish light display. Just haven't got there in the early evening yet. Stupid work priorities...
11-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
(snip) So if anyone else has good advise on getting Holiday lights pictures please post them here.

Photographing Christmas and Holiday lighting isn't all that difficult, Pat. The strobist article linked to covers the basics (tripod, timing, tungsten, etc), but no need for the total emphasis on early evening (dusk) alone since such lighting can be photographed very successfully at other times as well. And you can get decent shots without a tripod if the lighting is bright enough (a city street with lots of lights, for example), but a tripod is almost a necessity otherwise.

In the end, Christmas lighting, from the camera's perspective, isn't all that different from any other lighting at night (street lights, store windows, etc), meaning pretty much all the same techniques apply. When it comes to exposure, meter on whatever you want to emphasize (the lights, the people, etc) and bracket.

If you want to include people as subjects in the images, using slow sync or not, remember the Christmas lights are often the main light source, so make sure that light falls on your subject well. For example, pay attention to where shadows might fall and don't have your subject's face in those shadows without something else (more lights, your flash, etc) to fill in those shadows. Again, bracketing is a useful tool.

There really isn't much else to say. I can't offer exact exposure settings since each situation is different. Ultimately, it's up to you. Find a scene, photograph it, study the image, and be prepared to reshoot with different settings until you have exactly the results you want. Of course, if you live in a cooler climate, dress warmly because you may be out for some time.

stewart

11-30-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

John and Beth say:

"Put an extra battery in your pocket so you don't run outa juice" and

"Wear a hat so you don't catch pneumonia";

cause "we like ya!"

Seriously, tripod, keep the iso low (100-400), practice. Try your own lights if you decorate or somebodies down the way a bit---it's digital, won't cost much! After a few tries, you will see it ain't hard and just about anything works in some fashion or another. This is one legitimate time for chimping!
11-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I am giving it a whirl tonight. Annual holiday stroll in our little town. It is well after dark sets in but maybe Saturday will give the twlight hour. I will share my results later this weekend.

Eric - I hear you this work thing jeeze

Stewart and Jeff - I will take those tips under advisement. The hat will be a must with cold and windy in the forecast.
11-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would imagine that the new LED xmas lights probably wreck havoc with the white balance...

They already have a surreal harsh glow, I can't imagine how they'll come out on pictures...

Pat
11-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey Pat, I was thinking the same thing about these new lights. I mean, even looking at some of them takes the Xmas decorating feeling out of it.
11-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Indeed, I find that the white LED's are not too bad, but the red and specially the blue ones are really harsh and have a strange glow to them.

Seen from far, the reflections from the blue ones look almost like UV black lights.

Pat
11-30-2007, 05:58 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Well Pat, the wife and I are headed for Longwood gardens again this weekend to try our luck at the light and lighted fountains displays. It is a beautiful place and It will be the first time I have seen their light display. I'm hoping to get some good shots, If the weather holds out.
So I'll show ya mine if you show me yours.
Have fun my friend and I wish you the best of luck. Maybe we should start a Christmas light thread when we get done.
11-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Xmas lights displays should be one of the december weekly challenges!
11-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Test shot

I just stepped outside into the -25 C and took a group of test exposures of my neighbour's house to check the exposure levels. I am happiest with this shot:

Flickr: Photos from Albert Pentaxian

The exposure was 0.7" @ 2.8, ISO 100. The rest of it is in the caption. I will replace this Sunday when everything warms up and I will take my three legged friend with me to get rid of the shakes.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 11-30-2007 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Corrected URL