Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
what constitutes a travel photograph?

i have been browsing the entries for the Pentaxphotogallery.com competition. the subject is stated as travel photography.

looking at the nearly 200 images submitted so far, i have decided i have no clue what make a photo "travel". there are macro shots, sunsets, animal shots, people shots, landscapes, etc. some are obviously tropical, some mountainous. some have no way to tell where they were taken.

my first thought is that it should contain something that identifies place. there should be references to what is identifiable about a location. not to mean it has to be a shot of the Eifel Tower or Great Wall. but somehow it should relate to being somewhere unique. it should be the photographers translation of something not common in their typical surroundings.

i know that everywhere is a travel destination, to get to where YOU are, i would need to move from where i am to where you are... but is there something special i would see on the way there or when i arrive?

are the glossy pictures found in brochures or travel magazines the true essense of a travel photo?

the entries are, for the most part good images, striking in effect and well crafted. but what do they say about where they were made?

what do you think?

11-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I couldn't agree with you more and I was asking the same question.
On the other hand, it doesn't affect me much, as usual, the rest of the world is dicriminated against as it is open only to US residents and the lower 50 states at that.

Whomever makes this type of decision SUCKS.
11-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

while i would agree it isn't the most open policy, saying it's only open to US residents and the lower 50 states at that, is kinda funny....as that's all there are. Unless there's a 51st state somewhere I wasn't aware of
11-28-2007, 03:32 AM   #4
Inactive Account

How 'bout that - it is open to only Americans.

I asked them why - let's see if I get an answer.

11-28-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
while i would agree it isn't the most open policy, saying it's only open to US residents and the lower 50 states at that, is kinda funny....as that's all there are. Unless there's a 51st state somewhere I wasn't aware of
You mean Canada is not part of the States!!!
11-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
How 'bout that - it is open to only Americans. (snip)

Actually, it is open only to Americans living within those fifty (50) United States.

"1. Eligibility: PENTAX Travel Contest (the”Contest”) is
open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States,
eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of entry."

That specifically excludes all Americans living abroad, including government employees abroad and all military service members (and military civilian employees) serving outside the country.

Pentax USA also prevents those same individuals from purchasing products through the Pentax USA website. And without a USA street address for repaired items to be returned to (obviously a common situation for those overseas), service and support through the Pentax USA website is often nonexistant for all those individuals as well.

stewart
11-28-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
A lot of people consider Puerto Rico to be "the 51st state".

11-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #8

Probably because the contest is run by Pentax USA. It's not an international event.
11-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by craftsmansky Quote
i have been browsing the entries for the Pentaxphotogallery.com competition. the subject is stated as travel photography.
I think many of the categories are kind of odd. What exactly is "Lifestyle"?
11-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I received a reply, now see if it makes sense to you.

She gives examples of other contests that are offered to Americans only, but does not state which laws bind Pentax and others to restricting others from entering.

QuoteQuote:
Hi J. Scott,

We would love to have this contest open to everyone however there are
several laws keeping us from doing so (this is not our choice!).

Ex: (Coke)
My Coke Rewards

(Gas) Opinion Direct
(Kraft Cheese) MySpace.com

Thanks!

Carolyn Pitcavage
Marketing Project Coordinator
Pentax Imaging
303-728-0359