Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
If you're thinking of a couple of days to yourself you might think about driving /training/busing at least part of the way down to Sydney from Cairns. You'll see a lot more of Oz and have many more opportunities to photograph something other than "just" another big city (with the greatest respect to Sydney, which is magnificent). And remember we drive on the left!
And watch out for wildlife on the road at dusk.
And next time come to Kangaroo Island.
And keep away from VB - it's gut-rot.
And read up on cricket.
And bring a hat.
And always carry water.
And above all ENJOY!

And if you come across any wombats, avoid them - cuddly though they look, they're ankle biters.
ha ha - thanks for all the tips Wombat !

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
When in Cairns consider the Karunda Skyrail ( Skyrail Rainforest Cableway: Cairns to Kuranda Rainforest Tour - Queensland Tourism ), go up by cable car and come back by the Kuranda Scenic Railway. ( Welcome to the Kuranda Scenic Railway ) It's a bit touristy unfortunately but almost everything in or around Cairns is, unless you go a bit further afield. But for that you probably have not enough time because up north there everything is spread out.

Rainforest walks are something to consider, you'll hear lots of bird calls but they are hard to see. (The Australian rainforest is quite noisy with bird calls compared to European type forests and it echoes a lot.) Unfortunately most of Australia's wildlife is nocturnal so you won't see a lot of them during daylight hours. (Zoo is the only place.) If you want to see Kangaroos in the wild be prepared to get up early when they are most active and you can see them grazing. Good time to shoot them this time of day as you get low shadows and sometimes a bit of mist in the air. During the day they are a bit hidden as they hang around low in the shadows. And then they become active again at dusk.

In Cairns you will find lots of SCUBA tour operators, you can hire gear from them and they will take you out on the reef, I have done it, simply fantastic.

I have also been lots and lots in NZ and I have a few tips for you there at a later stage if you are interested. NZ is simply a super country, the people there are so friendly it is sometimes unbearable, if you know what I mean. And the South Island, wow, it is so beautiful all your photos are going to look like kitsch paintings.
Greetings
Just brilliant links SS - thank you very much for all that information. All taken on board ! NZ - thank you for the offer and later !

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I wont really add to this as the others have done a great job with their tips

Just watch out for crocs, snakes and spiders (sydney funnel web)

Just kidding or am I?

But seriously, have a fun trip mate
Thanks Touge !

*runs off to Google for Australian spiders and snakes*

08-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #17

I was lucky enough to travel 3 times last year to Australia, but in Melbourne. You'll enjoy Australia and there is plenty of photography opportunities around the country:

- Animal sanctuaries
- Vineyards
- Botanic gardens
- Beaches (with the colorful house beaches)
- Street photography
- Landscapes
etc...

I highly recommend that you have spare batteries fully charged and spare memory cards, it's been the only place were I got 28 Gig of photos taken within a day and got my 2 batteries fully depleted...

Enjoy Australia !
08-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cairns, apart from the scenic railway, there is Tjapukai Aboriginal Culture Park, which is good to visit if you're interested in indigenous culture. The town is quite small and easily walked around on foot. Enjoy a leisurely stroll along the Esplenade, where beautiful mountains are in panoramic view.

As for Sydney, too much to mention. Of course, you'll spend much of it in the CBD, but it will take a few days to really see and experience it well. Attractions such as Darling Harbour, the Rocks and Centrepoint tower should be on your must see list.

All the best in your travels mate.
08-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaarde Quote
I was lucky enough to travel 3 times last year to Australia, but in Melbourne. You'll enjoy Australia and there is plenty of photography opportunities around the country:

- Animal sanctuaries
- Vineyards
- Botanic gardens
- Beaches (with the colorful house beaches)
- Street photography
- Landscapes
etc...

I highly recommend that you have spare batteries fully charged and spare memory cards, it's been the only place were I got 28 Gig of photos taken within a day and got my 2 batteries fully depleted...

Enjoy Australia !
Thanks Kaarde. I have 4 cards already but think I'll add another two for good measure. I'll now take 3 batteries for the K5 instead of the two I was planning for !

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Cairns, apart from the scenic railway, there is Tjapukai Aboriginal Culture Park, which is good to visit if you're interested in indigenous culture. The town is quite small and easily walked around on foot. Enjoy a leisurely stroll along the Esplenade, where beautiful mountains are in panoramic view.

As for Sydney, too much to mention. Of course, you'll spend much of it in the CBD, but it will take a few days to really see and experience it well. Attractions such as Darling Harbour, the Rocks and Centrepoint tower should be on your must see list.

All the best in your travels mate.
Thank you Ash. Tjapukai sounds right up our alley ! I think we have 3-4 days in Cairns and 6-7 in Sydney.

08-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kuranda Butterfly Sanctuary combined with skyrail and train ride
Helicopter out to the reef (and over it), land there
spend half day on the reef pontoon snorkling and fish watching
Catamaran trip back.
Theres a couple of days done for in Cairns...
08-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
I have instructed all my friends in and around Sydney and Cairns if they come across a mad Englishman (actually we call them lovingly Pommies) with a camera permanently attached to one of his eyes, another camera (possibly several) hanging off his shoulder and a myriad of lenses poking out of his pockets to approach him with care. He is displaying the classic symptoms of a benign disease (easily transferable from human to human) called "Picture Acquiring Syndrome". (PAS)

Further advise to the general public:
If you see the aforementioned person, never approach him from the front as this will obscure his view and may bugger up the picture he was just about to take. It has been known that otherwise mild mannered English men struck down with this PAS ailment in this situation can become unstable and the consequences can be ugly.

Kevin, when you finally get to Australia and you notice people pass you in the streets with a fair margin you will know that they have been reading this post and for no other reason. I am sure you will have a "bonza" time.

(Bonza ? - look here. You'll need it: - Dictionary of Australian Slang )

Greetings
08-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Kuranda Butterfly Sanctuary combined with skyrail and train ride
Helicopter out to the reef (and over it), land there
spend half day on the reef pontoon snorkling and fish watching
Catamaran trip back.
Theres a couple of days done for in Cairns...
Thank you Arjay - I am going to have to plan out days very carefully now with all these great options !

Hi
I have instructed all my friends in and around Sydney and Cairns if they come across a mad Englishman (actually we call them lovingly Pommies) with a camera permanently attached to one of his eyes, another camera (possibly several) hanging off his shoulder and a myriad of lenses poking out of his pockets to approach him with care. He is displaying the classic symptoms of a benign disease (easily transferable from human to human) called "Picture Acquiring Syndrome". (PAS)

Further advise to the general public:
If you see the aforementioned person, never approach him from the front as this will obscure his view and may bugger up the picture he was just about to take. It has been known that otherwise mild mannered English men struck down with this PAS ailment in this situation can become unstable and the consequences can be ugly.

Kevin, when you finally get to Australia and you notice people pass you in the streets with a fair margin you will know that they have been reading this post and for no other reason. I am sure you will have a "bonza" time.

(Bonza ? - look here. You'll need it: - Dictionary of Australian Slang )

Greetings
ROFL !!! Hahahaha !

I have bookmarked the slang dictionary and will be sure to gen up before we go. Oh and many thanks for clearing my path for me

08-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
And read up on cricket.
Just reading back through the thread and taking notes when I see I missed this - and how could I not raise to the bait ?

I mean not only an Ashes thrashing but India have now been put mercilessly to the sword
08-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
... I mean not only an Ashes thrashing...
Jeeze man you landed a punch out of nowhere to the Solar Plexus. When the posts got to #22 I thought to myself, thank heavens he missed this one. And now this!
Haven't you got any pity man? I just got over it and now this. - Shi. another session of grieve counseling for me now.

Greetings
08-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The only redeeming features of Sydney are the harbour and the beaches. If you can't see either of these from any given location in Sydney then it's a location to avoid.

I can say this 'cause I lived there for 10 years
08-22-2011, 03:51 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The only redeeming features of Sydney are the harbour and the beaches. If you can't see either of these from any given location in Sydney then it's a location to avoid.

And there I thought the only redeeming feature for Sydney was the Hume Highway as it takes you to Melbourne. A pity Melbourne isn't on your itinerary or I'd have taken on tourist guide responsibilities.
08-22-2011, 04:09 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Now Now Sydney and Melbourne keep it clean. As you can see visitors are very welcome, but there is some vigorous in fighting between several of the camps. Truth is there are plenty of magical places to give your camera a good work out in a very safe environment.
08-23-2011, 04:10 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jeeze man you landed a punch out of nowhere to the Solar Plexus. When the posts got to #22 I thought to myself, thank heavens he missed this one. And now this!
Haven't you got any pity man? I just got over it and now this. - Shi. another session of grieve counseling for me now.

Greetings
Ha ha - sorry about that. Feeling good about England's cricket at the moment

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote

Ouch !

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
And there I thought the only redeeming feature for Sydney was the Hume Highway as it takes you to Melbourne. A pity Melbourne isn't on your itinerary or I'd have taken on tourist guide responsibilities.
Ouch x2 !

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Now Now Sydney and Melbourne keep it clean. As you can see visitors are very welcome, but there is some vigorous in fighting between several of the camps. Truth is there are plenty of magical places to give your camera a good work out in a very safe environment.
This could get ugly ! Thanks Bob. looking forward to it.
08-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
Never mind those Mexicans....they're just jealous.

If this is your 1st trip to Sydney a visit to the Blue mountains is a MUST.
Some places of interest that you really should see are,
Wentworth Falls
Echo Point at Katoomba. Great views including the famous three sisters.
Scenic World. Travel down the mountains in the worlds steepest incline railway, then catch the cable car back to the top.
Then take a ride on the Skyway which travels across the gorge.
A trip further up to Blackheath is also worthwhile to another great scenic view at Govetts Leap
All of these places have fantastic views and should not be missed.
If you want to get up close and personal with the native animals (Koalas and Kangaroos) I would suggest a trip to Featherdale Wildlife park near Blacktown.
As you wont be here for too long you probably wont have the time, but a full day trip to Jenolan Caves would be excellent.
You can find most of these places on the internet if you want to find out more.

As with the cricket, Aussies love to have a go at us Poms, but it is all lighthearted. Just give it back to them in the same spirit, they love it.

I hope you enjoy your visit to our City.
08-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sydney v Melbourne.

I like to put it this way. Sydney is like the girl you date as a youth, all teeth and tits; flashy, but not too deep.
Melbourne is the girl you take home to meet Mum. Classy, demur, self sufficient, more mature.

After all, Sydney puts up with Alan Jones et al. No city of any depth would do that, would they?