Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2011, 03:30 AM   #1

Rechargeable Alkaline batteries, anybody used them?

I saw some rechargeable alkaline batteries in a supermarket yesterday and wondered if anyone here has used them.

They seemed expensive to me, but I expect they are cheaper online.

4 X AA's + 2 x AAA's and mains charger were just over €30.00

Their main advantage would be that they deliver 1.5v instead of the 1.2v of NiMh's. They are also supplied ready for use and will apparantly hold their charge for up to 7 years.

These are the ones I came across.

EDIT: It seems they are not meant for use in high drain situations, like cameras. They are more suited to low use/low drain items like remotes & torches etc.

Last edited by mannesty; 08-18-2011 at 03:47 AM.
08-18-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
IMHO the Sanyo XX (soon to be called Eneloop Pro) is the best AA rechargeable money can buy today.
08-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mannesty Quote
I saw some rechargeable alkaline batteries in a supermarket yesterday and wondered if anyone here has used them.

----
Their main advantage would be that they deliver 1.5v instead of the 1.2v of NiMh's. They are also supplied ready for use and will apparantly hold their charge for up to 7 years.

--------

EDIT: It seems they are not meant for use in high drain situations, like cameras. They are more suited to low use/low drain items like remotes & torches etc.
For a digital camera, voltage in itself isn't that important (normally, a camera will be quite tolerant for variations in voltage- within limits, of course ); nor need the charge ("mAh's") be so terribly important.

What really matters is the batterie's ability to deliver the required current without an unacceptably large, momentanous drop in voltage under load (notably when the camera is being powered up). Secondly, the ability to hold their charge over prolonged periods is most desirable.

Thus, I agree with wlachan that low-self-discharge NiMH batteries - such as Eneloops - will be your best choice.
08-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
uso ricaricabili per il mio BG sulla K7. il voltagio finale 6 pile 7.2 volts proprio quello ricchiesto, capacita 2400mA pari a le buone pile non ricaricabili. vantagio che non devi comprare ogni volta pile nuove. pero devi avere buon carica baterie.

08-20-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I did but quickly when to precharged niMH (Duracell white tops/Enloops), primary reason being i had to always make sure i charged the dam batteries before loading because if i left them unplugged overnight it would discharge at least 75%+ and i would end up losing the "money shots"
I haven't looked lately but i don't think that has changed, it's best to go with "pre-charged" niMH over the rechargable alkalines.
11-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have four Pure Cell rechargeable alkalines. Would it be acceptable to charge them in an NiMH charger?

I see from the above that they wouldn't be good in a camera but still interesting for remotes, clocks, etc.
Rechargeable alkaline battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
11-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got to love that "They resist leakage that a recharge would cause, so they can be safely recharged many times.".
Sounds like something that ( just got off the boat from china) will never see the inside of one of my cameras or other electronic gear.

edit: any more advances in this technology since 2011?

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-07-2012 at 06:03 PM.
11-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #8

I've been using NiMH batteries in my KR for about 2 years with no problems. What sold me on NiMH battereies is how well they hold up in portable two-way radios. Alkaline batteries are better suited when slower continous current drain is needed. For surge type current demands NiMH seem to hold up better.
11-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have four AA eneloops that I used to use in my *istDL2 but now use in my External flash - they are great and just keep on working - initial cost may be high but throwing away a set of 4 alkalines every couple of weeks would be far worse. Buy the Eneloops
11-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
I have four AA eneloops that I used to use in my *istDL2 but now use in my External flash - they are great and just keep on working - initial cost may be high but throwing away a set of 4 alkalines every couple of weeks would be far worse. Buy the Eneloops
I'm not sure you caught the gist of this thread Arjay. We are discussing rechargeable alkaline batteries, not disposables. It appears that alkaline rechargeables are not well suited to cameras, but do have other worthwhile uses (e.g. clock, TV remote, etc).

I agree that Eneloops are great for flash (as well as cameras). In addition to less waste, I find that NiMH charge the flash in about 4 seconds vs. alkalines, which take about twice as long.
11-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm not sure you caught the gist of this thread Arjay
OK, I will add that I tried two or three of sets of rechargable alkalines (duracells, included) in my first digital cameras but gave up as unreliable in holding charge - ran out of charge quickly even when freshly charged and a general hassle.

Which leads me to make the comment two posts above...
11-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
OK, I will add that I tried two or three of sets of rechargable alkalines (duracells, included) in my first digital cameras but gave up as unreliable in holding charge - ran out of charge quickly even when freshly charged and a general hassle.
I agree that Duracell (and Eveready) rechargeable batteries are unreliable for a digital camera, but they are not rechargeable alkaline batteries, they are NiMH. The only rechargeable alkalines are labelled Pure Energy, EnviroCell, Rayovac, and Grandcell. Rayovac also sell Hybrid or Pre-Charged batteries (low self-discharge nickel-metal hydride battery (LSD NiMH)), which use the same technology as Eneloops.

LSD NiMH
A new type of nickel–metal hydride cell (the low self-discharge nickel-metal hydride battery, LSD NiMH) was introduced in 2005 that reduces self-discharge and therefore lengthens shelf life. By using an improved electrode separator and improved positive electrode, manufacturers claim the cells retain 70% to 85% of their capacity after one year when stored at 20 °C (68 °F). These cells are marketed as "hybrid", "ready-to-use" or "pre-charged" rechargeables. Standard NiMH batteries may lose half their charge in the same time period. Retention of charge depends a lot on the battery's impedance or internal resistance (the lower the better), and on the size of the battery as well as the mAh rating. Besides the longer shelf life, they are otherwise similar to normal NiMH batteries of equivalent capacity and can be charged in typical NiMH chargers.

Alkaline rechargeables (also known as rechargeable alkaline manganese (RAM)) are newer technology than LSD NiMH. The life of the battery (number of recharges) seems limited, but the manufacturer claims that "Rechargeable alkaline batteries are manufactured fully charged and have the ability to carry their charge for years, longer than most NiCd and NiMH batteries, which self-discharge.". Rechargeable alkaline batteries are not suitable for use in a digital camera or flash, they are for low current devices.
11-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
they are NiMH
Thank you for the explanation Dan - I mustn't have ever read the small print on the side of the batteries.
11-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I use Pure Energy in a few remotes and in my studio flashes. They work extremely well, their only flaw is that they need a dedicated charger and that the charge time is looooong.

If that bothers you, I suggest buying Rayovac hybrids instead of Eneloops. They deliver EXACTLY the same performances (I have both) and they cost significantly less.
11-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I use Pure Energy in a few remotes and in my studio flashes. They work extremely well, their only flaw is that they need a dedicated charger and that the charge time is looooong.

If that bothers you, I suggest buying Rayovac hybrids instead of Eneloops. They deliver EXACTLY the same performances (I have both) and they cost significantly less.
I have one set of Eneloops, four sets of Hybrids and one set of Pure Energy alkalines. I haven't used the rechargeable alkalines for anything yet. I thought they were inexpensive NiMH when I bought them. I don't have an alkaline charger. I tried charging them in an NiMH charger and they never appear to come off charge. I'm not going to try again because I'm afraid of damage.

I was hoping the alkaline rechargeables would be good for flash, but not having a charger is a big problem. Do you notice any difference in cycle times in your studio flashes? If I use disposable alkalines, my Sigma 530 flash takes about twice as long to cycle compared to Hybrids. I assume this is because NiMH delivers more current.