Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #31

Umm... I'd say that, as usual, both extremes, are not ver y good. Pixel-wathing all the time it just stupid. Because, really, all DSLRs are good, and if you OWN one, then stop it and take pictures, learn how to use your camera, and make masterpieces, which are made by light and shadows, NOT by pixels... But still when you choose a camera, you cannot just purchase what gets into your sight. Well you can actually, but it's better to study all the choices, and make a WISE choise. Wise for you personally, because, as Billy said - everyone has his own preferences. But to make chis choise we have to go pixel-peeping, and we all do it from time ti time

QuoteQuote:
All this has been weighing on my mind for months. In 2006, I did my research -- carefully, I think -- and chose Pentax. I was free to choose anything. Part of me keeps second-guessing that decision. Fortunately, most of me knows that the grass only looks greener on the other side of the fence. The solution to my technolust is easy: step away from the computer, pick up the K10D and spend time taking photos.
Excaly the same case as mine I have stopped pixel-peeping, and learning how to shoot. Well, at least until I'll be comaring mine GX-10 to K20D

11-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is an all-too-common phenomenon accross most technology. AMD fanboys vs Intel fanboys (I use the term fanboys to describe those who will consistantly argue one over the other and not rest until the whole world sees from their viewpoint), ATI vs nVidia, chevy vs dodge vs ford vs etc, nataional brand vs store brand, inkjet vs chemical process, kodak vs fuji. The whole point of it is that we each have to find which one makes the product that suits us best. If there were one product that could make everyone happy, it would make for a boring world. We would all be so similar, the art of photography would be dead because we would all be trying to shoot the exact same pictures.
11-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhamemr Quote
This is an all-too-common phenomenon accross most technology. AMD fanboys vs Intel fanboys (I use the term fanboys to describe those who will consistantly argue one over the other and not rest until the whole world sees from their viewpoint), ATI vs nVidia, chevy vs dodge vs ford vs etc, nataional brand vs store brand, inkjet vs chemical process, kodak vs fuji. The whole point of it is that we each have to find which one makes the product that suits us best. ...
Well, my point is that the whole truth is a bit more complicated than that. The whole truth is that we all do our shopping, and we try to find what suits us best. But in the end, we make a decision and live with it, even though no decision is perfect. The K10D is a great camera, but of course there are certain features of Canon and Nikon (and other brand) cameras that are strengths not matched by the K10D. So in the era of technolust, we all have to learn to live with a bit of dissatisfaction or envy. I sometimes think some people become fanboys because the mindless conviction that you made the absolute right decision in your purchase and everybody who decided differently is an idiot does have a certain comfort value. Me, I'm doomed to be envious and simply try not to let it eat me up (or my bank account!).

Will
11-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
Did anyone notice that people just pretty much ignored that post. I found it hilarious that people kept measurebating right after that one lol.

Which tells you something about human nature and the "type" of people who get their rocks off arguing about brands and other technical stuff.

I am a science teacher, but you won't ever see me measurebate my photographic gear. I try to keep my hobbies separate from work. After all, isn't that what a hobby should be?
Actually, they didn't ignore the post, the thread ran to it's maximum 150 posts and therefore cannot be added to. I guarantee that it he had posted it early on in the thread that there would have been the usual attacks aimed at him from the measurebating brigade.

11-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I don't know if Billy coined the term "measurebating", but if he did he deserves to become a lifelong member of the Internet Hall of Fame !

Dave
11-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #36
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
To me, the post was no where near an attack on or even closely directed at all photographers. Professional photographers will obviously try to obtain and use the best that there is as that is their job. What employee would not want the best equipment to do their job with? What I view his post as is that it is aimed solely at those people who feel that they have to buy certain pieces of equipment solely because they feel it's better than everyone elses. They then start these discussions to make themselves feel better about their decision and to pretty much say Look! my camera is better than yours! etc. etc.

I share the same feelings about photography as Bill, it's to capture those special moments as well as to take pictures that I, and others, can be proud of and think that they are good pictures. I could care less the my K10D doesn't compare to a d3..... I paid how much less for it, so I wouldn't expect it to even compare on the least bit, yet I bet there are people out there with 2k+ dollar cameras that would quickly post how i made a mistake and wasted my money....

By measurebating, he's not referring to people who choose specific cameras because they're better, or how constantly test and compare, it aimed at those people who use their decisions to try and place themselves on a pedestal, in public, above everyone that bought an 'inferior' camera.
11-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Well, my point is that the whole truth is a bit more complicated than that. The whole truth is that we all do our shopping, and we try to find what suits us best. But in the end, we make a decision and live with it, even though no decision is perfect. The K10D is a great camera, but of course there are certain features of Canon and Nikon (and other brand) cameras that are strengths not matched by the K10D. So in the era of technolust, we all have to learn to live with a bit of dissatisfaction or envy. I sometimes think some people become fanboys because the mindless conviction that you made the absolute right decision in your purchase and everybody who decided differently is an idiot does have a certain comfort value. Me, I'm doomed to be envious and simply try not to let it eat me up (or my bank account!).

Will
I agree with you. It's all a matter of give and take- my ultimate camera still only exists in my dreams.

btw, I say all this from a former fanboy viewpoint

11-29-2007, 01:10 AM   #38
Veteran Member

:
QuoteOriginally posted by VampyreGTX Quote

By measurebating, he's not referring to people who choose specific cameras because they're better, or how constantly test and compare, it aimed at those people who use their decisions to try and place themselves on a pedestal, in public, above everyone that bought an 'inferior' camera.
They need to start a new website or section especially dedicated to measurebating, that way measurebation wont spill over and contaminate the art of photography for those who just like to take pictures and vice versa. And they could have cool titles under their user names like frequent measurebator for the casuals or aggressive measurebator for the regulars and then spent measurebator for those over 1000 posts.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 11-29-2007 at 01:17 AM.
11-29-2007, 01:17 AM   #39
PDL
Pentaxian

It is all about the image.

For me the ultimate camera is sitting in my living room in a big brown box. A Calumet 4x5 monorail. If I could afford to buy a 24,000 USD digital back for it I would and I would leave the DSLR's and 35mm stuff --- for "snapshots".

I have learned multiple methods of "taking/capturing" images - it's the content, composition
and interpretation that is the hard stuff. To beat a dead horse - let me use this quote - again.

"The truth is that anybody can make a photograph.
The trouble is not that photographs are hard to make.
The trouble is that they are hard to make intelligent and interesting”
John Szarkowski 2000 1925-2007
(MOMA curator of photography)

That third line - now that is the hard one.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
11-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #40
Inactive Account

i agree that tests and technical information are valuable. i did considerable research and comparison before deciding what to buy.

but what bills commenst were about is what bothered me in many sites i visited. knowing the features, strengths and weakness of different brands and models is crucial to making an informed decision. but i was amazed by the "if you dont by a "......", then you are not a real photographer. or mine is better because it has more pixels and make my pictures better than yours....

if you get blinded by the numbers and the test results, you stand the chance of being blinded when you look through the viewfinder as well.

a good picture is not a result (entirely) of the equipment. its a result of the photographers vision.
12-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #41

While I agree Billy in Brooklyn and his comments at DPR we must remember one thing. DPR is mostly a technical forum and that is what people go their to discuss, techinical 'issues'. Some people enjoy photography just for the gear and the technology behind it. That's up to the individual and who are we to say what a person can, or cannot do.

Their are many more forums on the internet to discuss and share 'actual photography'.