Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Back-up to a K5 : Pentax or Nex ?

Having recently sold my K7 for a good price I'm now considering a back-up camera to my K5 for an unexpected but very welcome 10 day trip to Aus in Nov. and if I like it or it does the job well then I'll keep it for my 4/5 week visit to my sister in NZ next Jan/Feb.

Those in the running (or were) at the moment (other suggestions welcome - I love this part of debating/researching options before actually buying a camera/lens !) are :

D100 super, Q (now not under consideration), D10D, Kr, Nex C3 or, if out in time (and not too expensive), the Nex 7.

I figure with any of these if I buy and resell then I'm not going to lose much (anything) except in the case of a new Kr or a new Nex and if I don't like whichever of those I buy then I'll give it to my daughter with a couple of lenses.

The Nex may seem rather strange to throw into the mix but the C3 (and later the 24MP Nex 7) has an APS-C sensor (same as the K5 but 'tweaked' in a different direction) so the 1.5 crop is the same as my K5, and has DxO figures that are the same or better than the Kr and close to those of the K5 in some areas. I can also buy lenses from virtually ANY manufacturer and they will fit with the aid of the ready available adapters (which means ALL my M42 and PK lenses will play very nicely on the Nex). I don't mind MF at all for non-sport / birding applications.

Here are some clips from my research (if the clips are not permitted here for any reason then I've give the links below them) :

The full spec comparison is here :DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Nex C3 vs. Kr vs. K5
[IMG][/IMG]

Here's the link : http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-came...brand3)/Pentax

Pentax Q vs Nex C3
[IMG][/IMG]

Here's the link : http://thenewcamera.com/?p=5642

I know one of the big cons is that the Nex doesn't have an EVF (maybe the Nex 7 will have) but this seems like a good alternative way to view the screen: http://www.clearviewer.com/Products.html

From Amateur Photographer : With a total of ten NEX lenses available by the end of next year, a new more powerful flashgun and Sony embracing third-party lenses and adapters, NEX cameras have real potential to become a secondary system for most photographers. If only they would add a couple more buttons and an EVF. They are also reporting that the in-lens SR for the NEX lenses is easily as good as Nikon's or Canon's but at vastly lower prices ($100 - 300 per lens).

I'd love some debate on these and also on all of the cameras I'm considering as a back-up so please fell free to throw your opinion, on any aspect of these cameras, into the ring ! Thank you.

Last edited by Frogfish; 08-20-2011 at 12:18 AM.
08-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well Im not going to tell you what is better than what, but I believe a back-up slr should be the same mount as your primary slr.
08-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Well Im not going to tell you what is better than what, but I believe a back-up slr should be the same mount as your primary slr.
I agree. But the NEX does that simply with the addition of adapters - exactly like using M42 lenses on PK and as it's mainly for the trip then telephoto is not a consideration - just wide and normal that really doesn't need fast AF. Thanks !

Last edited by Frogfish; 08-20-2011 at 01:52 AM.
08-20-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Would have thought the K7 was a perfect backup... But since you have sold it, the K-r. You can take both bodies and share lenses, which AFAIK isn't possible with the others.

08-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ideal backup camera body would use the same lenses and have the same settings, functions, dials and buttons as the primary camera.

If your primary body is a K-5, the perfect backup body is another K-5 or the K-7, since the K-5 re-uses basically the same body and has the same superbe handling as the K-7.

Food for tought....
08-20-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would agree under certain circumstances (e.g.: wedding photographer) the backup system should be as close to the main system as possible and ideally the same. Weddings are time sensitive and a hole of lot of shots have to be taken in a very specific time frame. Same could be said for sport photographers.

For a planned trip that I assume will be mostly landscapes, street, friends and family I don't think it is as important. Certainly the backup system should be able to use the same lenses as the primary but you have that covered.

While I have no personal experience with the Kr or Sony I would suggest treat this decision as you would a primary system. Go to the shop, hold them, and try them out.

Another consideration is batteries -it would be nice it both systems shared the same , not a show stopper but a PIA to have two different chargers , two different battery types and multiple batteries for each.

Good luck.
08-20-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

"backup camera" should be the very same model or within the same family anything else is an addition. You'll want at least the very same sensor size...apc/apc,FF/FF etc.

08-20-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If/when I have money, my next will be NEX, unless Pentax-Ricoh pre-empts with something similar and cheaper. Why? Lenses. Many many lenses that are otherwise unusable, can find a home there. With a NEX, my LBA will probably kick into overdrive. Maybe I'd better wait...

But the NEX wouldn't be a backup to my K20D, but a supplement. Yes, a Kr would be a backup, and if I had more than 9 KAF lenses (1 prime, 8 zooms) and/or wanted to mount two of those at once, then a Kr would make sense for me. But my main goal woould be a platform for more glass.

Those are my motivations and thoughts. Your mileage may vary. Yes, a backup camera should use the same mount. No, a supplemental camera need not be the same, as long as there's substantial compatibility. Fun decision, eh?
08-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
With a NEX, my LBA will probably kick into overdrive.
Rio, you have over 200 lenses! Your LBA passed overdrive long ago.

Frogfish, have you looked into the Ricoh GXR? It might suit your purposes. There's an M mount coming out for it and there's a thread somewhere talking about persuading Ricoh to look at a K mount. Nice camera.
08-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The ideal backup camera body would use the same lenses and have the same settings, functions, dials and buttons as the primary camera.

If your primary body is a K-5, the perfect backup body is another K-5 or the K-7, since the K-5 re-uses basically the same body and has the same superbe handling as the K-7.

Food for tought....
Thanks but not going to happen. I considered but eventually gave up the idea of buying another K5 because I am saving for a dual system D700 (to add to my K5) when the prices come down. Since that won't be until next year then I can squeeze something in mid-term and get rid when the time is right. I won't consider the K7 because of the cost and I hate the noisy sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
For a planned trip that I assume will be mostly landscapes, street, friends and family I don't think it is as important. Certainly the backup system should be able to use the same lenses as the primary but you have that covered.

While I have no personal experience with the Kr or Sony I would suggest treat this decision as you would a primary system. Go to the shop, hold them, and try them out.
Thank you Daacon. I think you are absolutely right - I'm off tomorrow to check them all out. Batteries not really an issue - two small chargers and batteries are cheap so two each. Not like when I dive and have to carry 24 rechargeable AAs / 24 Ds (for the torches) and three chargers !

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
"backup camera" should be the very same model or within the same family anything else is an addition. You'll want at least the very same sensor size...apc/apc,FF/FF etc.
All those cameras (inc. the NEX) have APS-C sensors. Thanks for your comment Clicker.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
If/when I have money, my next will be NEX, unless Pentax-Ricoh pre-empts with something similar and cheaper. Why? Lenses. Many many lenses that are otherwise unusable, can find a home there. With a NEX, my LBA will probably kick into overdrive. Maybe I'd better wait...

But the NEX wouldn't be a backup to my K20D, but a supplement. Yes, a Kr would be a backup, and if I had more than 9 KAF lenses (1 prime, 8 zooms) and/or wanted to mount two of those at once, then a Kr would make sense for me. But my main goal woould be a platform for more glass.

Those are my motivations and thoughts. Your mileage may vary. Yes, a backup camera should use the same mount. No, a supplemental camera need not be the same, as long as there's substantial compatibility. Fun decision, eh?
It is RR - love all this decision making / researching ! As you know the NEX has adapters for virtually 99% of lenses so lenses aren't an issue if you are happy with MF - and I am for what I will be shooting on these trips. Thanks Rio.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Frogfish, have you looked into the Ricoh GXR? It might suit your purposes. There's an M mount coming out for it and there's a thread somewhere talking about persuading Ricoh to look at a K mount. Nice camera.
Thanks Wombat - yes I looked at it but performance and lens-wise it doesn't come close to the NEX ... and yet costs more.
08-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat:
Frogfish, have you looked into the Ricoh GXR?
Thanks Wombat - yes I looked at it but performance and lens-wise it doesn't come close to the NEX ... and yet costs more.
I mentioned Pentax-Ricoh pre-empting a NEX. How? A GXR mountor with an APS-C sensor and ~12-15mm register would be rad, able to use C- and CS- and D-mount lenses, but that's not likely (or maybe not even possible). Oh bother...
08-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #12

Hello
I thought I'd register to throw in my 2 cents. I just inherited several Olympus lenses so was looking at a Sony or four/thirds system to use them on. One of the benefits of the Nex C3 that seemed interesting was a "peaking" display on the LCD. If I understand correctly it will highlight the edges in a bright colour of the in focus areas making manual focus easier. I'd be curious to know how well it actually works vs an EVF or clearview. I would hope the Nex 7 also has this feature.Happy shopping!
08-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SnoFoto Quote
Hello
I thought I'd register to throw in my 2 cents. I just inherited several Olympus lenses so was looking at a Sony or four/thirds system to use them on. One of the benefits of the Nex C3 that seemed interesting was a "peaking" display on the LCD. If I understand correctly it will highlight the edges in a bright colour of the in focus areas making manual focus easier. I'd be curious to know how well it actually works vs an EVF or clearview. I would hope the Nex 7 also has this feature.Happy shopping!
Yes SF I mentioned this above - it looks like a brilliant function ... if it works as advertised ! Look at the link I mentioned for the Clearviewer too.

Welcome to the forum by the way !
08-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #14
Banned

Well if it is just for the trip and not for keepers, ask your daughter wich she would like to get for her birthsday after your trip to New Zealand.

Personally I like also the new panasonic. Smaller sensor, but therefor you get some extra reach on your lenses. It is for taking holiday- and familypictures. No problem with sensorsize, you just look at the backscreen and see what you are getting.
08-21-2011, 02:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well if it is just for the trip and not for keepers, ask your daughter wich she would like to get for her birthsday after your trip to New Zealand.

Personally I like also the new panasonic. Smaller sensor, but therefor you get some extra reach on your lenses. It is for taking holiday- and familypictures. No problem with sensorsize, you just look at the backscreen and see what you are getting.
I think a car would be the answer