Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

I was gonna say, crank up the ISO until you get a shutter speed and aperture that works.
You will have noise, but you can work with that. You can't work with blurry pictures from camera or subject movement.

08-23-2011, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #17
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why not a tripod? Scene is not static, it is hard to physically fit, and draws attention to yourself (And wouldn't you have tried it if it intuitively seemed OK?). Great if it does the trick. You may want to google the term "string tripod" as a possible aid.
As Wheatfield/others say raise the iso--a good picture with shadow noise is still a good picture--and you can convert to B&W. With your camera iso 3200 may be reasonable. One problem with very high iso is you lose 1/2-2/3 stop, or more, dynamic range (in the shadows) for 1 stop gain in sensitivity. (For me w/ K20D, that point is iso 1600.)
08-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah I really can't use a tripod. It would be too distracting, and block aisles. For denoising the pictures, is Photoshop with a plug-in the only choice?

I did have some pictures come out great where I wanted a little blur. I will also try the string monopod. It looks pretty easy to make.

Last edited by miltona580; 08-23-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: add stuff :p
08-23-2011, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by miltona580 Quote
Yeah I really can't use a tripod. It would be too distracting, and block aisles.
There are many support alternatives like the string monopod. There are mini tripods (one of my favorites is the Tamrac Zipshot, very compact but still a good height). Leaning on a wall, bean bags, etc etc. Practice to see how low you can go with your shutter speed without a real tripod.

For denoising the pictures, is Photoshop with a plug-in the only choice?
You don't need Photoshop but at least an application that is compatible with Photoshop style plug-ins. A cheap one is Photoshop Elements, 90% of what most users need from the real Photoshop at a fraction of the price.

For the plug-in I'd recommend Topaz Denoise.

Lightroom does also a good job and you don't need Photoshop to run it.

There maybe free or open source alternatives but I don't know those.

08-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
There are many support alternatives like the string monopod. There are mini tripods (one of my favorites is the Tamrac Zipshot, very compact but still a good height). Leaning on a wall, bean bags, etc etc. Practice to see how low you can go with your shutter speed without a real tripod.

You don't need Photoshop but at least an application that is compatible with Photoshop style plug-ins. A cheap one is Photoshop Elements, 90% of what most users need from the real Photoshop at a fraction of the price.

For the plug-in I'd recommend Topaz Denoise.

Lightroom does also a good job and you don't need Photoshop to run it.

There maybe free or open source alternatives but I don't know those.
Can you use Topaz Denoise in Photoshop Elements or Lightroom?
08-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you use Topaz Denoise in Photoshop Elements or Lightroom?
Yes absolutely.
08-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #22

try iso 1600 max, look for something to help reduce shake of your cam(lean on wall/post/chair, etc....), shoot in burst of minimum 5 consecutive shots then hope to get at least 1 sharp photo!