Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Bags under eyes

It just had something pointed out to me about some of my pics of my friend and his family. He said that they had bags under their eyes. What is the best way to get rid of these in post processing? Thanks

11-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is difficult to do after the photo is taken, but you could try cloning some smoother skin. If this is black shadows, use a fill flash or reflector to add light under the eyes. You could try dropping the contrast a bit.
11-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #3

I know this isn't helpful, but I suppose you could at least photoshop the image to make them look like Fester Addams. Worth a try, and heck of a lot easier than trying to fix the bag up.
11-29-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hear tea bags can help with that

If you have PS, you can use the healing tool to lighten up the appearance of the bags. You don't need to make them disappear, just "heal" out their depth. It will look natural unless it's a close up and they want 20x26 prints.

If you have time, you can really get into layers, masks, and blending, but unless you're trying to save a money-maker, I wouldn't go that deep into it.

Hope this helps!

11-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

are we talking, raccoon eyes from flash? or were the dark spots there in real life?
11-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
like this one

Like this one.... I think thats what they were talking about
11-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The fill flash would have made these real bags under the eyes less prominent, for next time.

Try taking the image and increasing the exposure line a bit in your post processing. All the shadows will reduce in entensity. In Lightroom, I would take the shot, go to the [Develop] module and drag the left side of the histogram up a bit reduce the shadow density without affecting anything else. I have not used Pentax's SylkyPix processor, so I don't know where the similar function is to be found.

This image is worth keeping! It's great! The only thing out of whack is that the light is too high on the subjects, and casts shadows. Check under the chins, the top of the baby's bib, etc., then fix the shadows and the people will be happy that you are such a great post processor!

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 11-30-2007 at 05:08 PM.
12-01-2007, 05:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

More sleep helps.
12-01-2007, 07:19 AM   #9
Forum Member

The use of makeup like the they do in hollywood? fill flash maybe more contrast less light above eyes... ...This proves to me that eveyone has bags under their eyes that gets more noticiable over time
12-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Something as simple as a reflector held just outside the camera frame and angled upwards would likely solve the problem. It doesn't need to be a pricey store-bought reflector. A sheet of white posterboard will do the trick.

And point out to your friend that if he's old enough to have a small child and the sleep deprivation that goes along with it, then he shouldn't be surprised to learn he is also old enough to have bags under his eyes.

As the line Waylon sang so many years ago tells us, "The lines in my face won't tell you where I'm going, but they sure as hell can tell you where I've been."
12-01-2007, 07:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I also have tried a neat trick if you don't want to use the flash and cart around other gear at a family party. Wear a bright white shirt and position a light that will reflect off your chest. Like snow it will often reflect enough light to act as fill.