Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2007, 05:20 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tell them you only took 10 photos.
or
Give them 200 photos of the same thing.

It seems weird that, if there's a dozen or so other photogs, that they'll really want 2,400 photos of the event?! If you can talk to the others see what their experience of this outfit is, maybe they typically end up only asking for a few.

12-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
well, you seem sold on the idea, so I wonder why you even asked for advice. Every young photographer I've ever talked with has similar aspirations-a bevy of potential clients and a whole lot of 'pipe dream'. So hey, go for it. When you get tired of being smacked by the pipe (or worse taking it in a deep dark place) I can enjoy reading your laments again--be sure to return and tell us how it all works out.
John, if you take the time to re-read my original post you'll notice I asked for thoughts. I didn't say I was or was not going to attend the event. I was wondering if anyone had struck this kind of thing before.

Secondly, I had no idea you were following me around, watching me at the events I attend. The fact you care to pass judgement in such a rude and patronising manor is simply disgusting.

The "pipe dream" you think I have is most certainly not all in my head. Just because I have not been on this forum for years, and am not 40+ does not mean I do not hold the skills to photograph at a standard suitable for print.

I am in fact a published photographer, I regularly supply one national publication, am just about to sign a deal with a second and supply articles to another 4-5 throughout the year. Not to mention the considerable number of private clients who regularly purchase prints from me.

I am also in the final steps of a deal which will see me being flown to every round of a national series of motor racing and published in print and on the internet. I did not approach these people, they approached me.

The reason I wanted to attend this event is because 2 of the magazines I contribute to during the year asked me if I was attending because the knew the quality of my work. I figured if I went and supplied them then it may take me closer to being a regular contributor.

I had not struck this clause in any other event passes I had attended and was wondering what people thought of it.

Please take you ignorant and patronising comments and stick them up your own pipe dream.

Kind regards,

Adam.

Last edited by blwnhr; 12-02-2007 at 08:28 PM.
12-03-2007, 07:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Adam, without judging either of last two posts above, you had not indicated you were approached. On the contrary, you stated that you had made the enquiry.

QuoteQuote:
There is an event coming to my local race track in February 2008 that I have enquired about media accreditation for.
If in fact they approached you, then you call 'em up and tell 'em their conditions suck and have the matter cleared-up. Besides, with all the clout you have, as stated above, you shouldn't have any problems.
12-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
There is an event coming to my local race track in February 2008 that I have enquired about media accreditation for. I just received the application form and noticed a very interesting condition:
3) Applicant agrees to provide a minimum of 200 Hi resolution (min 2 meg), digital images without
watermarks, of the event to The Promotor free of charge and licence to use the images in
future event promotion. These images must be supplies within 14 days of the event, if this is not done
access to future events may be declined.
Has anyone struck anything like this before? The event is an automotive based and is part of a national series of similar events. Reading that means they are only going to use the photos for self promotional purposes.

What should I put on the disk I supply to them? Something to the tune of; All images Copyright Adam Sutton. Use by The Promotor for promotional purposes only.

Thoughts?

P.S. I removed the company promoting it's name.

application forms are nothing more than contracts. you can legally cross out things on contracts, and write in new things. don't like the 200? cross it off, and write 100 in it's place. if they accept, that's all you're obligated to provide.

my BIG question is that they haven't specified if they want exclusive rights. if they do, walk away. if they don't, sell the same photos to magazines.

12-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

good point OniFactor.

Personally I'd like to see any photographer get 200 keepers if they're photographing the cars racing.
I suppose that it's possible, but sure isn't likely to happen
12-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

John, if you take the time to re-read my original post you'll notice I asked for thoughts. I didn't say I was or was not going to attend the event. I was wondering if anyone had struck this kind of thing before.

Secondly, I had no idea you were following me around, watching me at the events I attend. The fact you care to pass judgement in such a rude and patronising manor is simply disgusting.

The "pipe dream" you think I have is most certainly not all in my head. Just because I have not been on this forum for years, and am not 40+ does not mean I do not hold the skills to photograph at a standard suitable for print.

I am in fact a published photographer, I regularly supply one national publication, am just about to sign a deal with a second and supply articles to another 4-5 throughout the year. Not to mention the considerable number of private clients who regularly purchase prints from me.

I am also in the final steps of a deal which will see me being flown to every round of a national series of motor racing and published in print and on the internet. I did not approach these people, they approached me.

The reason I wanted to attend this event is because 2 of the magazines I contribute to during the year asked me if I was attending because the knew the quality of my work. I figured if I went and supplied them then it may take me closer to being a regular contributor.

I had not struck this clause in any other event passes I had attended and was wondering what people thought of it.

Please take you ignorant and patronising comments and stick them up your own pipe dream.

Kind regards,

Adam.
12-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Adam, without judging either of last two posts above, you had not indicated you were approached. On the contrary, you stated that you had made the enquiry.

If in fact they approached you, then you call 'em up and tell 'em their conditions suck and have the matter cleared-up. Besides, with all the clout you have, as stated above, you shouldn't have any problems.
I did write that poorly didn't I. Sorry, I wasn't expecting to get flamed and have to attempt to justify myself. Two publications asked me if I was attending the event, when they asked it prompted me to enquire about how media accreditation would be gained for the event.

To clarify I was not asked to take photos by the event promoter, rather by publications wishing to cover the event. However the promoter is the one who wants 200 shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
application forms are nothing more than contracts. you can legally cross out things on contracts, and write in new things. don't like the 200? cross it off, and write 100 in it's place. if they accept, that's all you're obligated to provide.

my BIG question is that they haven't specified if they want exclusive rights. if they do, walk away. if they don't, sell the same photos to magazines.
What a good idea, thankyou Oni'. As for exclusive rights, they mention nothing about that, only that they want them for their promotional purposes. If they wanted exclusivity then there would be no point, I'm not standing in the sun for 2 days shooting for someone else for free, haha.

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Personally I'd like to see any photographer get 200 keepers if they're photographing the cars racing.
I suppose that it's possible, but sure isn't likely to happen
The event is run over 2-days, 8am-8pm and 9am-5pm. Thats a good 19 hours to get shots. It isn't just cars racing either, there are modeling competitions, a show and shine and a few other activities.

12-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You didn't get flamed; hell not even lightly toasted. (And I ought-to-know; just ask other folks) People--no," i", "me", I responded to a ridiculous appearing situation and your insistence on doing the deed your way regardless of advice-like a typical noob. Now you back-pedal and cough-up more details.

Well, I won't go there out of respect to other forum members. Two-hundred images is still ridiculous!

I did write that poorly didn't I. Sorry, I wasn't expecting to get flamed and have to attempt to justify myself. Two publications asked me if I was attending the event, when they asked it prompted me to enquire about how media accreditation would be gained for the event.

To clarify I was not asked to take photos by the event promoter, rather by publications wishing to cover the event. However the promoter is the one who wants 200 shots.

What a good idea, thankyou Oni'. As for exclusive rights, they mention nothing about that, only that they want them for their promotional purposes. If they wanted exclusivity then there would be no point, I'm not standing in the sun for 2 days shooting for someone else for free, haha.

The event is run over 2-days, 8am-8pm and 9am-5pm. Thats a good 19 hours to get shots. It isn't just cars racing either, there are modeling competitions, a show and shine and a few other activities.
12-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
John, I please ask you to no longer post in this thread. Your posts have not been useful, rather attacking me when you've no idea of who I am, what I do or how I do it.

Going back a few months ago you posted this:
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
I've caused more than my fair share of discord and discomfort on these 'friendly forum's'. There is no excuse for bad behavior. There are probably no good reasons either.

I sincerely apologize to Ben, to Beth, to Adam and to the PentaxForum members and guests for all the problems I've caused.
Clearly you are not sincerely sorry, you have continued to carry on in this thread in a rude way and your opinion, certainly in this thread, is not wanted any further.
12-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

THAT issue (linked to) was settled, it doesn't pertain or relate to this fellow "blwnhr"; in any case as he wasn't involved. Just because a 'style' is blunt, honest and hard hitting doesn't make it rude. Easily 'bruised' participants should take great care to provide all the facts of a situation least they be easily misunderstood. Nobody should expect a perfect rubberstamping of their own style, preferences or choices in or from anyone else except the image they see in a mirror---especially pertinent to public forums.

Of course, we could ALWAYS go out behind the shed again...
12-04-2007, 05:22 AM   #26
Veteran Member

John is correct. You didn't get flamed and YES he IS blunt, more often my style but, sometimes blunt hurts feelings so I say nothing.

I don't know who you are either, and it really doesn't make a difference and it shouldn't. You asked for an opinion and you got several yet, you keep harping on it.

Did you call or contact these people and ask for clarification since the start of this thread? If yes you should update the thread. If NOT then you should.

Lastly, I don't think you should be asking anyone not to post in a thread - that IS rude. If anything it should have been done in a PM. And there you have it, I can be just as rude.
12-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #27
PDL
Pentaxian

Maybe you guys should review this site and rate each other on who you are:
Flame Warriors Home
You can visit here for even more insight into poster types (I belong to several - the is no Elitist type)
Seven Levels of Photographers © 2005 KenRockwell.com

For a good definition of elitism check out the stuff here:
Elitism

It's good to be King.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL - let the flames begin