Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Motorcycle Island Tour: Gear suggestions?

In a couple weeks i'll be going off on a 3 days island tour. I can't decided what to bring so I thought I'd ask here.

Basics
-i'm on a motorcycle, so space and weight is at a premium.
-I can't bring a tripod

Setup A

Hasselblad 500c/m with 80mm f2.8 lens + one extra film back
Pentax K10D with 20mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.7

This was my original choice. But I'm worried that this will be too much stuff in my backpack and tankbag. Also, i'm not sure i'll be able to take full advantage of the Hasselblad without a tripod for island landscape.

Setup B

Hasselblad 500c/m with 80mm f2.8 + film back
Wife's Lumix point and shoot

Once again, not sure I can take full advantage of the Hassy, but one camera+one lens can be a fun limitation to play with. Sometimes simplicity can be real nice. I can use point and shoot for snapshots and wideangle

Setup C

K10D and Super Program film camera + Pentax-A 20mm f2.8, Pentax-A 50mm f1.7

Film and digital, I can swap lenses between the two. the one big drawback is not having the hasselblad around

08-28-2011, 03:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest choosing either film or digital and not bothering with carrying both. Even if you use them 50/50 that means one is nothing but space-consuming dead weight half the time. Going on an extended photo trip on a motorcycle is just the same as in a car. You get home and realize you never used half the crap you took with you. The difference is on a bike you more strongly regret having needlessly hauled it along.

I manage to carry around not only a tripod, but a monopod and flash umbrella as well on my motorcycle. I just bundle them all together with two ball bungee cords and then strap them across the seat with a couple more cords. No problem whatsoever. Only thing is to be careful to tighten the various handles and knobs on the tripod down pretty well so they don't work loose and let things start flopping around.
08-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
No room on the pillion seat, wife is coming : )
08-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

When you mentioned "backpack" I assumed there wouldn't be anybody back there.

So now you have an extra dilemma: take the wife or take a tripod.

08-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
"Sorry honey, you can't come because I need to bring my tripod"

Ouch, that may be an instant divorce : )
08-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You might want to look at a luggage rack set up for touring. this will allow for a reasonable amount of luggage including tripod plus room for the good lady.
08-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On a fine sunny day last week I went on a motorbike stroll around my area (which is an island). Nothing serious or special, just gliding through the road. Stopped a few times for taking shots, or slowing down a bit to do snapshots. Since I had only manual lenses, I brought my widest the Adaptall 24/2.5 -rarely leaves my K20D. I brought also a tele-zoom and a 135, which I'm glad I did. I had also my Super Program fitted with 28-200. Tripod stayed home, no long exposures or more than hand-stabilized shots needed. So, I need nothing but a medium photobag which I put into my bike's back rack alongside my homemade sandwich and a bottle of water for lunch. The K20D was in fact swung on my neck all the time.

At the end of that great day, I had my 4 gigs SD card full and a roll of film exposed. Some of the shots, although nothing special, is here.

Last edited by minahasa; 08-28-2011 at 11:22 PM.