Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Taking notes with photographs

I would like to do a better of job of key-wording and setting meta-data for location and so on. However, when I come back from a trip it is sometimes hard to remember what exactly that photo was supposed to be of.

Does anyone have a good system of taking notes or otherwise recording details about photos as they are taken?

08-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I use two things. The first is taking pictures at the beginning and end (if possible) of any signs explaining what/where I am at. When in parks and such, this is very easy and by taking a shot of the signs at the beginning and end I know which shots were which. A few extra shots takes up little space, has the correct spelling, and makes it pretty darn simple.

If that isn't available, I carry a small notepad (3"x2") that I use to take notes. I usually list the name of what I'm taking shots of along with the starting/stopping shot so I can easily track it.

What I've thought about doing is finally going digital and using something along the lines of a tablet so I can not only take notes, but also use GPS to tag the shots. Not sure if that's what I want to do or not, but it's ran around in my head once or twice.
08-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can usually remember or figure out what I took a picture of with some web searches (lazy I know, but it works!). But if I'm going somewhere and expecting to take a lot of pictures that I know I won't remember, I try a couple things. The easiest is using my cell phone to snap pictures of signs describing the subject (if there are signs available, that is). If there's no sign, I use the voice recorder on my phone or MP3 player to briefly list the pertinent details. Oh, and I'm always sure to grab brochures, maps, or any other handouts that are available. Looking those over is often enough to jog my memory when I get to adding captions later.
08-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I write a travel journal, posted for friends and family (and myself), noting where we were and when and doing what. I don't keep notes on every picture. But if I'm someplace identifiable, I shoot a sign or other signifier. I do take notes on locales and times (roughly) -- if it's noonish Tuesday, then we musta been in Xalapa Veracruz, lunching at the Pollo Feliz across from the Museo de Anthropologia, etc. Great deal there! (Yeah, I take food notes too.) And if I'm on a lens-of-the-day rotation, the lens is noted.

When I move pics into storage, everything goes into daily folders, maybe subdivided into that day's locales and high points. The photos may come from various sources: dSLR, P&S's, film, even postcards that I scan later (both sides). The journal and signifiers and postcards and other notes and date-time stamps on pics all serve to place the shots. That's the best I can do without a GPS link. (Oh, the tedium of re-syncing 4-6 cams whenever we cross a time zone!)

The journal: Sometimes I just scratch-out notes as the day goes by, and compile them into a narrative when time allows. Sometimes I carry an old reporter's cassette deck and dictate notes for later transcription. Sometime I just make stuff up. No, alligators in the Rio Grijalva in Sumidero Canyon out of Chiapa de Corzo didn't really carry off a tour guide, not while I was watching anyway. But it makes a good story, eh?

08-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
I carry a small notepad (3"x2") that I use to take notes.
Ditto
I carry a small notepad or a small piece of paper and a pen to write down details.

In writing the details, I always start with the date and time. This is essential to connect the description with the photograph(s). I add sometmes a few details incl. the lens.

Once back at home, I catalog my photographs during PP. I often regroup the photographs by geographic location (Country, state, township) and I summarise the key description in a text (ASCII) file that I update as more photographs are taken.

Hope that the experience may be of interest.
08-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do this as well, largely a habit I developed from my days of large format film photography when EXIF didn't even exist. I keep a small hard cover moleskine book, and a fountain pen with bulletproof ink in my camera bag for taking notes of date and time,the suns position, the direction my camera is pointed north,south east,west..those kinds of things so when I develop the film I can tune how the film is developed to control the contrast of the scene on the film.

It's a good habit to get into.
08-29-2011, 04:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You have a camera. Take a PHOTO of your handwritten NOTES

This will only be a hassle if you need to take notes on every photo that you take. Or if you write long notes.

But if it is only for some photos, then just carry a small notepad, write a few keywords and take a photo of it after you have taken your regular photo. This way its right next to your original and you don't have to bother with keeping the notebook safe. Just tear off the sheet that you have used and you are ready for the next pic.

For locations, taking pics of brochures and signs is a good way to go.

08-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
You have a camera. Take a PHOTO of your handwritten NOTES
Even just taking a snap shot of my feet between scenes, lens changes or breaks in a given scenario helps to identify and sort shots in the browser later. The frame can be deleted later.

H2
08-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you got a smart phone (andriod, blackberry or iphone) then you can just do voice notes... easier than writing it down or trying to remember.. or heck just shoot a small vid on where you are for each area you shoot... a lot of options
08-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A short video of each location with you describing it is easy to do with newer cameras. GPS can also be helpful.