Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens Prices

What are your thoughts on lens prices when the Ricoh sale closes? Does Ricoh maintain the same prices? Does Ricoh lower prices to increase sales since they bought the business at a bargain price and have no developmental costs in the current lens lineup? I'm ready to buy a couple lenses and kind of want to see if anything happens. I realize that camera prices are what brings new buyers into the brand, but lens quality, price, and selection can keep them.

09-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only justification I could see for a markup increase would be if they wanted to invest more in dslr lens development, but I was under the impression that they are going to do that anyway. I doubt we will see any immediate changes after the acquisition.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know. Supposedly Sony, Canon and Nikon are all looking at price increases due to the strong yen. If Ricoh just holds prices constant, it will be the same thing as a price cut. Right?
09-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think that Ricoh will look at what Canon and Nikon sell theirs for and make sure that Pentax is priced right for what they offer. Some may go down a bit, some may go up. It also depends on what they plan to do with the SDM system. Do they quietly replace them with better motors or do they bring out what appears to be all new lenses that have the new motors. I'm sure that they will consider all the possible options and decide what to do but it will take a while.

09-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you are in Australia with with its strong dollar you buy from the USA. Our dollar has gone through the roof, but the prices haven't budged at all. Does that mean USA prices up, Aus prices down?
09-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

With many lenses being backordered much of this year, that would indicate that many of Pentax's lens lineup is selling quite well so I doubt that Ricoh is going to lower prices to sell more.
09-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With Japan still in shock after the earthquake/tsunami, I doubt there will be an price drops for any Japanese brands for some time. I don't think Ricoh or Pentax got hit as hard as Nikon or Canon but there still have to be parts pipeline and transportation problems.

09-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Does Ricoh lower prices to increase sales since they bought the business at a bargain price and have no developmental costs in the current lens lineup?
HA HA HA HA HA HA. Ohhhhh man I wish I shared that kind of optimism. Can't remember the last time I saw camera parts go *down* in cost.
09-08-2011, 05:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paddy567 Quote
Can't remember the last time I saw camera parts go *down* in cost.
Well, look at the cost of DSLRs right now, and compare with 3-4 years ago. You couldn't have gotten a K-r quality camera for about 600$ with a lens some years ago.

Regarding prices, I believe Pentax management will still be in control of that kind of thing. As long as their reports show profit, Ricoh will be happy with the pricing strategy
09-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Well, look at the cost of DSLRs right now, and compare with 3-4 years ago. You couldn't have gotten a K-r quality camera for about 600$ with a lens some years ago.

Regarding prices, I believe Pentax management will still be in control of that kind of thing. As long as their reports show profit, Ricoh will be happy with the pricing strategy
Right, the electronics prices go down, the lens prices goes up as they has done continually for the last few years.