Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Averages up to 10,000 shots per week?

If they shoot 40 hours per week, that's a bit over 35 shots per hour. Certainly a believable hourly figure....but not for every damned hour of the week.

When does the 10,000/week pro sit down to cull and process?
Yes well, that's another reason why it's a horsehockey article.

09-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this one is actually quite easy to deal with, "Thanks Uncle Bob, but we want you to have fun at the wedding and you really can't do that if you're shooting it. We have a great photographer already contracted, but thanks for the offer!"

and from shooting weddings, the statement is true. You can shoot it or attend it, but not both effectively. And this way you are looking out for him! And if he pushes hard to shoot it, push back hard that you want to celebrate WITH him!

regards
09-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That's for the staff to do. Probably offshore contractors. Doesn't every pro have an editing pool on retainer?
I realize now how foolish I was. A pro with that much work to do has only keepers and gets everything right in-camera. No culling and no processing to be done.
09-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

For my wedding we hired two photogs... a good one (he would be top one or at least in top 3 for my city)... he showed us 120 photos after working with him for 3 hours... we bought 120 photos... total cost... $5000ish with album... my wife was very happy... I gave up on my dream of owning a 645D (which I didn't know about at the time... but still my dreams died that day

The other was a fellow from work... an uncle bob... he gave us 9 CD... count them 9... in the CD package for Everquest I believe or WOW... only thing large enough he had to fit them all in... he shoot the actual wedding and the dance after words... total cost was a meal and some beer... I print about 100 of those photos and they are good enough... (there are some 'strange' things ie in the one photo... it looks like the priest (a very shortman) is going down on me, and I have the dumbest grin on my face. The problem was his 250mm lens shrunk the depth of the photo so even through there was 10 feet between us you couldn't tell, and then there was some odd composition of place the mans head at my groin... but regardless)... after culling several hundred... it worked given the budget we where one... and only about 6 hour turn around... vs 6 months with the pro...

so both CAN work... honestly my only regrete was not shelling out another $1500 to have the pro shoot the whole day....

09-04-2011, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pro in practice

RE: 10,000 shots a week - I just attended a big, $75,000 wedding - the daughter of our best friends. Two dark-suited photographers; wireless trigger flashes on stands in the sanctuary and none on the first body, frame-mounted on the second, long lens and 85. 30 minutes of set shots of the wedding party. 4 hours all in of reception, dinner and dancing. I was looking, and I rarely saw either photographer. ONE shot per toast, ONE shot per "dance," ONE candid per group of people.

Just before I left, since my son is engaged, I took #1 aside and asked a few questions, including how many clicks he expected to process. He said 300 - 400 each with a 50% keeper rate, and he would "show" around 100. That's right at 100 an hour each, including the set shots. If he did 4 weddings a week that's 2000 clicks MAX - more like 1600 real.

Nikon (it was late and I don't know Nikon model numbers but he said 2 years old FF). He wouldn't say what he charged, but I'd guess top money since I know the cost of the wedding.

I'm a rank amateur, but to me that guy is a professional's professional.
09-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
a 50% keeper rate
and I'll put up even money those 50% cuts are not out of focus or EV issues... likely silly faces and blinks...
09-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The article mentions about the importance of backup equipment, and links to this video:

Priceless!
09-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
The article mentions about the importance of backup equipment, and links to this video:

Wedding Photography Fall.mp4 - YouTube

Priceless!
CLASSIC FAIL!!

Now, if he'd just been shooting with a K-cam and WR lenses...

09-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

old enough that he had to start as a film shooter

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
and I'll put up even money those 50% cuts are not out of focus or EV issues... likely silly faces and blinks...
I thought, as he shot the procession (2/3 up the aisle, which my son's church won't permit), "This guy has brass gonads. 1 click; what if he misses?" Then I realized he knows he won't miss. He was old enough that he had to start as a film shooter. Film cost money. Get it right in one frame. Old habits die hard.

I had more fun watching the photographers than I did the bride and groom - although he did a great job on the wine glass <g>
09-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I thought, as he shot the procession (2/3 up the aisle, which my son's church won't permit), "This guy has brass gonads. 1 click; what if he misses?" Then I realized he knows he won't miss. He was old enough that he had to start as a film shooter. Film cost money. Get it right in one frame. Old habits die hard.
Or good habits last forever. One of the things I've observed at weddings that I have recently been a guest at is how the modern photographer seems to think if he isn't constantly shooting he is doing something wrong.
The problem is, by constantly shooting, he is doing something wrong.
A wedding photographer should NEVER risk bringing attention to himself, but the best way of doing this very thing is to spray and pray.
09-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I suspect that there are more than a few "Uncle Bobs" here that can take better wedding photos than many so-called professionals...
09-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #27
Veteran Member

This image comes to my mind for some reason
09-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
This image comes to my mind for some reason
Why, that's cute! ... in a sort of incompetent-1970-Kodacolor-Instamatic way.

[/me eyes burn]
09-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #29
Veteran Member

hehehe... This is always what we (me and my co-working photographers) are talking about, the crisis of being a wedding photographer. The number one competitor of a true pro wedding photographers are those people who just had a camera and thinks they can provide the services a true pro can give. Here in our place, professional wedding photography business is crumbling because nowadays almost everybody/anybody can just buy an expensive camera (some even have the top-of-the-line camera and lenses from CaNikon) and thinks they're "pro photographers" who can provide top-notch images and services.
I remember one of my client's wedding, and the groom's cousin had a Nikon D3s and a Nikon D700 (all full-frame) with grip and has all the Holy Trinity lenses (14-24, 24-70, 70-200 VR2), two SB900, and uses a BlackRapid Double Strap. He really looks like a "pro photographer" whom you can't even touch. And me, I just use a K110D and a *ist DS with multiple prime and zoom lenses and lots of external and studio flashes and an assistant and a buck-up photographer (who uses Nikon D300 and a D70s with 80-200 f/2.8 and 12-24 and multiple external flashes too). hehe. Anyway, to make the story short, that guy acts in the wedding like he's the main photographer. But still, we just do our work, the work that what we've been paid for. The funny thing is that the other photographer (groom's cousin) don't know how to use his gears! And to the point that he always asks me questions on how to do this and how to do that, especially on how to use the Nikon's CLS or just the simple Slave Mode (take note, I don't use Nikon system but still know how to use it). And when I looked at his photographs, they we're all flat, all were shot in Auto with direct flash. I don't hate the guy of having a top-of-the-line camera system, he just should have photograph simply with humility around and not acting like he's THE "pro wedding photographer".
There are a lot of different experiences and stories out there similar to "Uncle Bob" story. I know a lot of couples who regretted that they should have hired true-pro-wedding photographers to cover their wedding because they looked up to their "uncle Bob" or looked up to cheep and non-true-pro wedding photographers. =)

To share, here's a video I saw on YouTube about a case of hiring a cheap wedding photographer:

Last edited by richard balonglong; 09-10-2011 at 06:53 AM.
09-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #30
Veteran Member

That. Was. Amazing.

"What fstop were you shooting at?"
"Why are you using the entry level camera? Where is your 5D? 7D? 10D? 1 series? And you are using the cheapest lens out there"

I didn't know he was that knowledgeable!