Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
General Question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I hope this is the right area to post.
I am looking at ebay item:
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r
Is this thing just a gimick ie: would it be worth the purchase or should I stick with blower. I have K20 and K7.
Advice would be great.
Shane

09-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hmmm, I've never used such a loupe for camera maintenance. If a blower isn't sufficient, I use the Official Pentax Sensor-Cleaning Kit O-ICK1 and my K20D's Dust Alert function to grab any stray motes. That loupe looks like a fun tool, but not for camera sensors!
09-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A blower and a sensor loupe make for a powerful combination.
I can only speak for the DELKIN how ever.
Amazon.com: Delkin Sensorscope 3 System, Complete Digital SLR Sensor Cleaning System: Electronics
09-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Hmmm, I've never used such a loupe for camera maintenance. If a blower isn't sufficient, I use the Official Pentax Sensor-Cleaning Kit O-ICK1 and my K20D's Dust Alert function to grab any stray motes. That loupe looks like a fun tool, but not for camera sensors!
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
A blower and a sensor loupe make for a powerful combination.
I can only speak for the DELKIN how ever.
Amazon.com: Delkin Sensorscope 3 System, Complete Digital SLR Sensor Cleaning System: Electronics
So these type of things have been around for awhile?
Are they worth the cost? I dont mind using blower only and have had no majior issues yet.
However does having a loupoe to view sensor make any difference,
Cheers
Shane

09-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lamented bovine Quote
So these type of things have been around for awhile?
Possibly. I haven't run into one before, but I haven't been ogling accessories for some years either. This just doesn't seem like a must-have to me.

QuoteQuote:
Are they worth the cost?
Here, I think you'll get different opinions. I wouldn't bother, but I'm a cheap bastard. YMMV.

QuoteQuote:
does having a loupoe to view sensor make any difference,
I could possibly envisage using a glasses-mounted loupe to look at the sensor, but I think I'd get a better view with the Dust Alert feature. I would not use a loupe that pokes into the camera. Others have apparently done so, with no damage. Again, YMMV.
09-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Possibly. I haven't run into one before, but I haven't been ogling accessories for some years either. This just doesn't seem like a must-have to me.

Here, I think you'll get different opinions. I wouldn't bother, but I'm a cheap bastard. YMMV.

I could possibly envisage using a glasses-mounted loupe to look at the sensor, but I think I'd get a better view with the Dust Alert feature. I would not use a loupe that pokes into the camera. Others have apparently done so, with no damage. Again, YMMV.
TY, so this type of thing is an just a gadjet and has no real world use for pentax?
I am not much of a poster( me is more of a lurker, read and observe) WTF is YMMV??????
Cheers
Shane
09-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My guess...

I hope this is the right area to post.
I am looking at ebay item:
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r
Is this thing just a gimick ie: would it be worth the purchase or should I stick with blower. I have K20 and K7.
Advice would be great.
Shane
My guess is that it wouldn't be truly effective. I have seen a video of a similar device except that it leaves space to access the sensor with a swab or lollipop type of cleaner. It might have been the Delkin device that someone here has linked to. This one seems to have a "cleaning" mode. What it does while in that mode is anyone's guess, but it appears as though the cleaning is something that this device does without the use of a swab or lollipop. How?

09-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

TY, so this type of thing is an just a gadjet and has no real world use for pentax?
I am not much of a poster( me is more of a lurker, read and observe) WTF is YMMV??????
Hey lb, can I ask WTF is WTF? Nah I won't do that because you'd probably send me to look it up on one of the million and one Acronyms websites out there, and you'd be giving good advice if you did. (BTW; I heard that Lurkers are permitted to use search engines this month, so goferit.)

Enough of the frivolity, now back to the subject:
IMHO (look that one up too while you're there ) that "gadget" could [if it works OK] be a useful tool to have in one's arsenal, for general if not camera maintenance use, although my preference, and intention, would be to acquire one of those Magnifying Desk Lamp thingies instead, which I think could prove more versatile - for my needs anyway, YMMV. (Oops, there we go again...)

< Magnifying Desk Lamp | eBay >

OffT: As I intend to get one of them, and don't have a bloody clue what type(s) or features are good/bad/desirable/useless, comments and recommendations from existing owner~users of similar MDLs would be highly appreciated. TIA.

.R. Another compulsive obsessive collector of GADGETs and ACRONYMs.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 09-03-2011 at 12:15 AM.
09-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

YMMV: your mileage may vary

meaning:

It's a disclaimer, a weasel-out, like AFAIK (as far as I know) and IIRC (if I recall correctly).
Opinions are like lungs, everybody has a couple, and our experiences are not the same.
IOW (in other words): Some say this; some say that; FlyingSpaghettiMonster knows best.
OR (or): I report what I have witnessed; you or others may witness something else.

Last edited by RioRico; 09-03-2011 at 05:37 AM.
09-03-2011, 01:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Hey lb, can I ask WTF is WTF? Nah I won't do that because you'd probably send me to look it up on one of the million and one Acronyms websites out there, and you'd be giving good advice if you did. (BTW; I heard that Lurkers are permitted to use search engines this month, so goferit.)

IMHO (look that one up too while you're there ) that "gadget" could [if it works OK] be a useful tool to have in one's arsenal, for general if not camera maintenance use, although my preference, and intention, would be to acquire one of those Magnifying Desk Lamp thingies instead, which I think could prove more versatile - for my needs anyway, YMMV. (Oops, there we go again...)

OffT: As I intend to get one of them, and don't have a bloody clue what type(s) or features are good/bad/desirable/useless, comments and recommendations from existing owner~users of similar MDLs would be highly appreciated. TIA.

Number 1
I have a zero tolerance policy for retards and morons, I asked a simple question,I do not no anything about these devices and respect goes a long way. and there acronyms I do not know, however there are ones I could give that no one unless military would know. U can say what u want however it gives u no right to vilify me if I do not know what certain acronyms’ mean.
As far as Me is concerned you can go and FYS
I had no intention of upsetting anyone and apparently I did.
09-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you to all others for all other help and tip on this issue.
Shane
09-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote

Hypocorism I read it wrong I do apoligise. Too long 3RAR Recon shoot first talk later.
Cheers
shane
09-03-2011, 04:35 AM   #13

lamented bovine-----I own a Qusasar 7x senor loupe from "Visible Dust" and Sensor cleaning is now a very easy process because I can see the dust on the sensor, clean it (blower or wet clean if necessary) and see the results. No multiple iterations of cleaning and retesting. So yes sensor loops are definitely worth the cost for me. A good sensor loupe will give you a clear/focused view of you sensor. It saves me allot of time and helps make sensor cleaning quite painless. If you do a search on the web of the one your asking about you will see pictures on other sites of how the cleaning mode works and you still have to use normal cleaning methods to clean the sensor anyway. (Blower/Wet clean etc.) It just slows the process down for no useful reason. Just get a good sensor loop and use it to see what your doing. Hope this helps.

Last edited by jcp5; 09-03-2011 at 08:32 AM.
09-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like jcp5 said.
I find sensor loupe to be a very effective tool in the cleaning process.
09-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
lamented bovine-----I own a Qusasar 7x senor loupe from "Visible Dust" and Sensor cleaning is now a very easy process because I can see the dust on the sensor, clean it (blower or wet clean if necessary) and see the results. No multiple iterations of cleaning and retesting. So yes sensor loops are definitely worth the cost for me. A good sensor loupe will give you a clear/focused view of you sensor. It saves me allot of time and helps make sensor cleaning quite painless. If you do a search on the web of the one your asking about you will see pictures on other sites of how the cleaning mode works and you still have to use normal cleaning methods to clean the sensor anyway. (Blower/Wet clean etc.) It just slows the process down for no useful reason. Just get a good sensor loop and use it to see what your doing. Hope this helps.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Like jcp5 said.
I find sensor loupe to be a very effective tool in the cleaning process.

Thanks
Shane