Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2007, 06:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also found the cost of OEM ink cartridges to be prohibitive. I use bottles of ink from "Elecom" (Japan only?) to recharge the cartridges and save tons of money on ink that way. The recharge pack includes a little tool to pop a hole in the top of the cartridges, 40ml bottles of ink (good for about 4 recharges), and a little plug for the hole. The only downside is that you have to from time-to-time open up the printer and eyeball the ink levels, since the automatic ink level sensor function ceases working for compromised cartridges.

12-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

101 inks or Cartridge World?

I have two Epson printers that I am basically happy with. I have the 870 and the R800. Years ago I used non oem cartridges in an Epson and it never printed the same again. I've been hesitant to try generic cartridges. But right this minute my R800 is sitting with a couple empty tanks. I have a cartridge world right up the street from me (didn't even know that until I did a search for cartridge world), but I think they sell refillable cartridges?
I checked out 101inks and I don't even see a listing for the R800 that I own. There is a listing for Stylus Color 800. Anyone know if that is the same as the R800 I own? The full name of my printer is Epson Stylus Photo R800.
12-13-2007, 09:44 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Printer Suggestion

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I think I am in the market for a printer, well maybe after the holidays unless a good deal presents itself. I was thinking of the Epsons, they have that 6 and 8 ink wide format models, they look interesting but does anyone have any practical hands on knowledge with them? I think I would like a wide format one but may also be interested in a dedicated 4x6 model, but overall Quality is what I am looking for. I think the dedicated ones may have the best results. What say yee?
I was always an Epson guy until I bought a Canon PIXMA MP500 (All in One) a couple of years ago . . . it has served me well . . .

I have been looking for a higher quality, wide format printer and, after reading many reviews and seeing actual samples at the Adobe PhotoShop show in Vegas, I have settled on the Canon Pixma Pro9000 . . . should arrive on Monday . . . Adorama has it on eBay for $408, free shipping and qualifies for the Canon $100 rebate . . . net cost $308 to your door . . .

Hope this helps,
12-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What makes the Canon tops?

12-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Canon Printers

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
What makes the Canon tops?
Basically, for me, it is ease of use (starting with the install), and color quality (rendition /vibrance) . . .

Here are a few reviews you may find helpful . . .

Imaging Resource Printer Review: Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Printer

Shutterbug: Canon’s PIXMA Pro9000

Printer Test: Canon PIXMA Pro9000 and Epson Stylus Photo 1400 - - PopPhotoAugust 2007

Hope this helps . . .
12-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

whole i hve no experience "recharging inks" for photo printer purposes, the few times I tried on regular printers was a huge pain, totally disappointing. gave up fairly quickly because there are places on the net that sell off brand ink for less hassle and its just a better deal.
the only thing i was considering if i got a good photo printer wasa continuous ink system, but those too seem hit or miss, and if you like a realtively neat work station...they don't fit in well
12-17-2007, 05:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Buddha,
I have the Pro 9000 also. got it last year. In addition to what Paul has said, the Epsons have a reputation for nozzles clogging, if you do not use the printer every day. The cleaning cycle uses an enormous amount of ink. My Pro9000 has not clogged once, nor did the S820 before that (I had that printer for 4 years or so.). The Canon has bright vibrant colors. B&Ws come out very well also.It works well with 3rd party papers including art papers (I use Ilford Gallery Smooth Pearl). The Canon Photo Paper Pro is the best High gloss finish paper I've seen.

I do think the Epson's B&W output is better with their dedicated B&W inks. And, of course the pigment inks do last longer. That being said, I have not had any prints from my Canons fade on me yet.