Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Printers

I think I am in the market for a printer, well maybe after the holidays unless a good deal presents itself. I was thinking of the Epsons, they have that 6 and 8 ink wide format models, they look interesting but does anyone have any practical hands on knowledge with them? I think I would like a wide format one but may also be interested in a dedicated 4x6 model, but overall Quality is what I am looking for. I think the dedicated ones may have the best results. What say yee?

12-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
PDL
Pentaxian

I am in the market for a new printer too. But then, I detest 4x6 images (that's just me - no reflection on anyone else). I am in the market for something that will print images around 11 inches wide.

Even with the old software and my current printer, I can print 4 4x6 images (not necessarily the same image either) on a sheet of paper. So my recommendation is to get a printer that will at least print on letter sized paper. I would find printing 4x6's only a very frustrating act.

There is the aspect that the cost model for some printers is changing. Currently, the printers are cheap and the ink is expensive. Some manufactures are starting to charge more up front for the printer and the inks are cheaper. For some people, it has been cheaper go buy a new printer rather than buy ink. (one guy I know was buying ink at 800 USD for a full set - you can get a pretty decent brand new printer for 800 USD).

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-02-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what it's worth, I have an older Epson R300M. I don't do a lot of photo printing with it, but when I do I'm usually quite satisfied with the results. The time I haven't have been because of either user error or not having used it for a while and forgetting to check to see if the heads needed a cleaning. I have printed as large as 8x10 from a 3mp Fuji P&S with good quality.
12-03-2007, 01:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My last Epson I put my fist through. Seriously.

For years I had Epson printers and for years nothing would piss me off more than for someone in my family to want anything at all printed off, because I knew it was going to result in an hour or two of unrestrained rage and frustration trying to get the s.o.b. to do anything at all, nevermind do anything at all right.

A year ago I needed to print some stuff, spent the standard hour or two cussing the Epson, put my fist through it, and then together with my son headed off to the electronics store to get a new printer. "What are you going to get?" he asked. "Anything but an Epson."

I bought a Canon MP600 combination scanner/copier/printer and from the very first it has been bliss. You have no idea what tranquility it has brought me by way of comparison. I can actually hit "PRINT" and know the damned thing is actually going to print, do it right, and not be all damned day about it. And the huge leap in ease of use, reliability, and print quality compared to the piece of crap that came before it led me to seek out a quality digital camera to make the most of it. That's where the Pentax K100D came in and I got the opportunity to meet all you nice folks.

I'm sure Epson must make some wonderful products. I have just never had the good fortune to own one of them.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 12-03-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typo
12-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Once you start printing, you'll want a larger printer and once you get the large printer, you'll stop using the small one. Get a larger format printer up front and you'll love holding a nice size (say 10X15 or larger) print in your hand and get addicted. Just be warned, it's a whole new way to spend money and time, but in my opinion, the only way to go. I've been satisfied with my Epson;there are also what appear to be equally good printers out there from HP and Canon. Good luck.
12-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I can highly recommend the Epson R2400, especially if you think you might want to print any B&W. While I use it for both B&W and color, it has pretty much replaced my B&W darkroom. I know three or four other photographers that also have one and none have had any problems with it at all. It will print 13 inches by 44 inches with roll paper, but I have only used the 13 x 19 sheets.
12-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I should have mentioned in my earlier reply that I use an Epson 2200 and will probably get a 3800 fairly soon. My Epson, which is a generation old, required a RIP (I use Quadtone which is excellent and inexpensive) to produce good B&W prints;color is fine.The newer Epsons such as the 2400 and 3800 use different inks and produce good B&W prints as supplied. The 2400 will print up to 13" wide, the 3800 up to 17".
If you get into this, be sure to get a gizmo to calibrate your monitor;it'll pay for itself in ink and paper savings.
To me, photography is about holding a beautiful print in your hands (hanging on a wall is OK too).

12-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #8

I have continuously experimented with printers for black and white use over the last few years. 99% of my printing is b&w. So now I am finally satisfied with the results of my Epson R2400. Recommended, especially for b&w.
12-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it's only a recommendation, but...

Even though I have most of my images printed on an Epson 9800 Pro, I'll be the first to recommend either the Canon or HP printers. Why? Generally speaking, they require less maintenance/cleaning, and have pretty much eliminated switching ink wells, etc. by having larger ink well tanks.

The Canon Pixma series are really, really good. Go check reviews on them online.

Cheers,
Marc
12-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I've had good results from Canon printers and the ink is very reasonably priced.
12-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #11

I've got an older Canon Pixma iP8500. I've had it for the last two years and use it for color and recently B/W. Here's a review I found AFTER I bought it, I was pleased that I'd made a good choice. Steves Digicams - Canon Pixma iP8500 Color Bubble Jet Photo Printer. I bought my mom an Epson R800 and it's a nice printer too.

That being said...I wish it had a larger format choice. Hence I'm looking at the Epson Pro 4800.... once I win powerball.
12-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Scott Kelby uses Epsons, and is very happy with them.
12-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an older Epson Photo 925 that does a great job for me.

I agree that this older generation of printers were sold cheap with the hope of Epson making their money on the cartridges. However, I went out and gambled on refilled carts from a local brick and mortar outfit called "Cartridge World" and I was very very satisfied with the results. The refills clogged less and the images printed were excellent. The refilled carts cost about half of a new one.

I'd buy an Epson again.

regards,

germar
12-12-2007, 10:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Worked at a store that did wide-format printing on an Epson 7800. We didn't do glossy so I can't comment on that, but on the luster paper it couldn't hold a candle to our Fuji Frontier (Apples to oranges, I know ) Despite this, we never had any problems with the printer itself, only the software to send pictures from the Kiosks in the front.
12-13-2007, 02:27 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Morning Buddha;
I have also been looking for a printer I have a CX4800 Epson now, which is an all in one. The quality is really good, low maintenance but the printing is very slow in color. It is a 4 color printer and Epson inks are expensive. So I have gone on line to 101 inks .com and gotten my inks for the past year. I get a 9 pack from them for the price I get for Epson factory ink of a 4 pack. But like I said I'm looking for a printer that will suite me and the wife so it has to be an all in one. I found the new Epson RX680 to fit the bill. Great printer easy setup, and menu, low maintenance will print 4x6 color in 11 sec. and will print 4x6, 8.5x11, 8.5x14 A4, B5, A5, A6 and half letter. will print user definable (3.5-44") Most in border less sizes to 16:9 wide. It uses Epson 78 ink (5 pack at Staples is $69.99) (from 101 inks 14 pack at $79.95). cost of the printer is $124.00 with $40.00 mail in rebate from NewEgg. Comes to total price spent of $84.00. the printer does a fantastic job on color prints and if you use the Epson papers it really does give you fantastic prints . I use both standard quality photo glossy form Costco and also the top of the line Epson Paper I get from a neighbor who gets me 8.5x11" sheets from the drop they have where he works.
I also recommend the Epson R800 and the R2400 both a little salty but both are top of the line quality printers.