Photos: Gallery
Can ya spare a guy a...

little more information.

we've had a "Do you got a K1000?" thread
and "Where do you live?" thread
and "What do you do?" thread;

how about a "What kind of photographer are you thread?"

Perhaps you would consider an answer with info about:
When did you start and how old were you then? 1972/15 or 16.
With what? Yashica range finder & TLR, Minolta and Nikon SLR, Canon range finder then a PENTAX SPOTMATIC.
Are you formally trained? No.
If you're an amateur: ever sold anything, got or had an analog darkroom, published or won a contest with work published? Yes, yes, yes.
If a pro, do you belong to any national or international societies, won anything? NA.
Any processing experience or formal training; what? Yes, Yes: B&W, Slide, Color, Lithography for book publication, digital.
How long have you been digital? Done any scanning? First dSLR? About 12 years, extensive scanner work (own 6), Pentax *istD from first day of availability.
Got and/or use a P&S digital? Yes three.
Got and/or use a digital video? Yes.

Feel free to add things like color management-got it/use it (Yes/yes), Approximate yearly output (peaked about 125000, currently running about 45000 images. What is your favorite subject; what is your least favorite? Wild animals/grumpy pushy demanding people. ...and...

12-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Forum Member

Sure, I'll be first to go for it.

When did you start and how old were you then? 9 yrs ago
With what? K1000.
If you're an amateur: ever sold anything? No
Got or had an analog darkroom? No
Published or won a contest with work published? Yes, published.
If a pro, do you belong to any national or international societies, won anything? NA.
Any processing experience or formal training; what? No
How long have you been digital? First dSLR? About 7 years, *ist DS
Done any scanning? Lots, since '92. (on 3rd scanner)
Got and/or use a P&S digital? Yes 2. Sony FD83, Olympus D550.
color management-got it/use it? Yes
Approximate yearly output? No idea. Not enough
What is your favorite subject; what is your least favorite? Wild animals/ People.
12-02-2007, 09:28 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Good idea, John.
When did you start and how old were you then? 12 years old (+/- 1981)
With what? Kodak disk camera
If you're an amateur: ever sold anything? yes
Published or won a contest with work published? Yes, published.
How long have you been digital? First dSLR? About 4 years, *ist DS
Done any scanning? a little
Got and/or use a P&S digital? Yes- a canon
Got and/or use a digital video? Yes-a canon.
Approximate yearly output? +/- 20, 000
What is your favorite subject; what is your least favorite? Children/Macro.[/QUOTE]
12-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When did you start and how old were you then? 1957, 17
With what? Yashica range finder
And later? Pentax SLR 1960. KX 1978, SF-1 1980, MZ-S 2002, K10D 2007
If you're an amateur: ever sold anything, got or had an analog darkroom, published or won a contest with work published? Yes, yes, yes, yes.
If a pro, do you belong to any national or international societies, won anything? N/A
Any processing experience or formal training; what? Yes, B&W, No formal training
How long have you been digital? Done any scanning? First dSLR? 2 weeks, some scanner work (own 1), Pentax K10D from Nov 12, 2007
Got and/or use a P&S digital? No, Pentax 120SW film P&S
Got and/or use a digital video? No.
Favourite subjects? Nature, scenery, birds, macro
Number of images taken 1 meter x 1 meter x 1 meter of slides and negs, packed solid, more elsewhere

12-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

When did you start and how old were you then? 2006/18
With what? Canon Rebel 35mm with 35-80/4-5.6
If you're an amateur: ever sold anything, got or had an analog darkroom, published or won a contest with work published? no, kinda, no
Any processing experience or formal training; what? no, no
How long have you been digital? Done any scanning? First dSLR? A little over a year, Samsung GX-1L
Got and/or use a P&S digital? Yes
Got and/or use a digital video? no

Approximate yearly output ~8000?
What is your favorite subject people - candids, wildlife
what is your least favorite? "OMg oMg come here! can you take a photo of me and my friends???"
12-02-2007, 11:48 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

Here is my so - called contribution.

When did you start and how old were you then? 44 years ago at age 12
With what? Kodak Brownie Box (1 roll of 620 film – Teton and Yellowstone National Park(s) just try to do that with 12 frames today)
Are you formally trained? Omega Color School, Taught a course in scientific photography, in college earning my 2nd degree (chronological order – go figure) – do these count?
If you're an amateur: ever sold anything? I have had people volunteer to buy works, but I prefer to give gifts at the moment.
Got or had an analog darkroom? I have the makings of a wet color darkroom (heavy metal poisoning of my septic system is not an option) yes, I have use and built b&w and color darkroom(s).
published or won a contest with work published? I have been published in scientific newletters and I have had my some work published internally with the company I currently work for. No contest success yet – I guess you have to participate.
Any processing experience or formal training; what? See above.
How long have you been digital? Since about 2000 or 1999 can’t remember.
Done any scanning? Yes, bought a 35mm scanner in the late 90’s – still use it now and again.
First dSLR? 2005, *ist Ds
Got and/or use a P&S digital? Toshiba PDM-25 – it broke last year – still looking for a replacement with a viewfinder that costs less than 400 USD.
Got and/or use a digital video? I have a mid 90’s camcorder – and it ain’t digital.
Color management-got it/use it? Yes, Huey Pro
Approximate yearly output? Who cares - some months 2 or 3, others 2000+
What is your favorite subject? Nearly everything – confirmed member of the garbage can, pealing paint and rust school; but I tend to stay away from bugs – I find them boring
What is your least favorite? Anything that someone tells me I “have” to shoot.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

When did you start and how old were you then? Early 90's as a wee little Girl Scout.

With what? Pink 110 camera, Minolta p&s through middle school, Pentax ZX-10 through high school and the first year of college, Pentax ME and Holga as a senior in HS to now, K10D for the last year, K1000 and Pentax ZX-M since the beginning of July. Oh, and currently a Yashica Mat-124G.

Are you formally trained? I have exactly one class under my belt.

If you're an amateur: ever sold anything, got or had an analog darkroom, published or won a contest with work published? Yes, and published too. Yes, the bathroom is currently blacked out, enlarger, chem, trays, accoutrement, ready. No contests, but working on stuff for a group show in early spring.

If a pro, do you belong to any national or international societies, won anything? Not a working pro, but am current member of SPE.

Any processing experience or formal training; what? Traditional B&W.

How long have you been digital? Done any scanning Just over a year, and some rudimentary print scanning about ten years ago.

Got and/or use a P&S digital? Nah. I can't work the little cameras.

Got and/or use a digital video? Panasonic PV-GS300

Pet Peeves: *******s in gang darkrooms who do you a favor and leave FB prints to dry face up. "That camera must take great pictures."

Favorite Subject: Route 66, the forgotten and broken down, classic movie monsters.

Last edited by bdavis; 12-12-2007 at 02:51 PM.
12-03-2007, 04:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'll have a go too.

When did you start and how old were you then? 1998..I was 28 an not very good.
With what? A Pentax point and shoot film cam.
If you're an amateur: ever sold anything? Yes
Published or won a contest with work published? Yes, Yes & Yes
How long have you been digital? First dSLR? 8 Years *ist DL
Done any scanning? A little
Got and/or use a P&S digital? Yes a Fuji s3700.
Approximate yearly output? Well....this year was around 5000+
What is your favorite style; what is your least favorite? Portrait/Landscape...and Least- I'm not a bit fan of flowers.
12-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

When did you start and how old were you then? 5 years ago, at age 33
With what? whatever I could get my hands on
If you're an amateur: ever sold anything? Yes
Published or won a contest with work published? published.
If a pro, do you belong to any national or international societies, won anything? no
Any processing experience or formal training; what? no
How long have you been digital? First dSLR? 14 months
Done any scanning? yes, but not very much
Got and/or use a P&S digital? yes, Sony DSC - P51
Got and/or use a digital video? nope, but thinking of it.
color management-got it/use it? yes
Approximate yearly output? 20,000
What is your favorite subject; what is your least favorite? children, architecture
12-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

When did you start and how old were you then? i started in the 10th grade.. so.. 2000.. and i was 15? 16?
With what? various school cameras
Are you formally trained? only so far as school classes go
If you're an amateur: ever sold anything? other than my soul? no. lol
Got or had an analog darkroom? used one, tried to do my own..
Published or won a contest with work published? i think i've had a print or two published
Any processing experience or formal training; what? nada
How long have you been digital? First dSLR? just over a weekend. Pentax K110d
Done any scanning? used to be film, and had almost every roll scanned
Got and/or use a P&S digital? a cheapy kodak
Got and/or use a digital video? nope
color management-got it/use it? nada
Approximate yearly output? can't tell, yet, since i just went digital.
What is your favorite subject; what is your least favorite? favorite is artsy fartsy stuff.. least favorite? god, i don't know. i'll photograph anything, especially now that it's not costing me 6 bucks a roll to develop and scan
12-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When did you start and how old were you then? 1973/20 yrs old
With what? Yashica TL Electro SLR
Are you formally trained? Took one college class after I'd been shooting a while just to get access to their darkroom. Rarely actually went to class. lol Been to a couple of good workshops.
If you're an amateur: ever sold anything, got or had an analog darkroom, published or won a contest with work published? Have sold pics and been published a number of times. Never had an analog darkroom nor won a contest with work published.
If a pro, do you belong to any national or international societies, won anything? Not in photography. Have won national awards for video work.
Any processing experience or formal training; what? Nope
How long have you been digital? Done any scanning? First dSLR? First tried digital about 3 years ago using a Sony P&S. Haven't done any scanning yet, although I hope to in the near future. My first DSLR is my Pentax K10D. I got it in April of '07
Got and/or use a P&S digital? Yes, two Sony's
Got and/or use a digital video? Yes, a Sony VX2000
12-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

When did you start and how old were you then? Geez - 8-10 years old, 1979 or so.. Don't know EXACT date, it wasn't something I thought about then.
With what? Started out with a Polaroid - Still have it - But then, around 1986 or so I bought a Olympus OM-2, loved it, I saved my pennies until the Olympus OM-4T was in sight and I found a new one still sitting on the shelves and, I still own this camera. I shot with that until 1997 - Then due to developing costs I just gave up and bought an Olympus P&S 35mm for convienence, then another Oly P&S - then a Casio 640x480 max res digital (holy shit did it suck) then I bought a Kodak EasyShare something (it sucked nearly as bad), then a Canon A520 (amazing little camera) and finally the K10D - it took me that long to be comfortable with the quality of photos vs $ spent to buy a DSLR.. Also, I still own every one of those cameras with exception to the OM-2. And they all work, even if poorly.
Are you formally trained? Nope. Some photography in school but - nothing more.
If you're an amateur: ever sold anything? As I don't shoot for money I fit this category - Yes, I have made money from my photos but, it is strictly a hobby for me.
Got or had an analog darkroom? Nope - I am considering it though for medium format.
Published or won a contest with work published? The BBC UK requested to use one of my photos taken in Spain without me submitting it, they found it online somehow. I agreed as long as they gave credit - I haven't seen it published yet and I never asked about it.
If a pro, do you belong to any national or international societies, won anything? Nope.
Any processing experience or formal training; what? Very little darkroom experience in high school - a little more a few years later as a refresher thinking I could save money by doing my own processing.
How long have you been digital? First dSLR? I've had a digital in some form for about 9 years or so but, shot strictly 35mm until 6 months ago when I purchased the K10D. It was a very easy migration for me due to my complete research in digital DSLR's before making the jump. Hence the reason I chose the K10D - the most film-like DSLR available.
Done any scanning? Sure. Waiting on some new equipment so I can scan thousands of 35mm negatives.. weee...
Got and/or use a P&S digital? Technically I have three - I only use one and that's a Canon A520 - again, it's a super little camera.
Got and/or use a digital video? I'm big on my HDV. Currently in the market for a new 1080 unit - likely will go with something that has a Fujinon lens and some other broadcast-like features.. Might spend more than I should as well.
color management-got it/use it? I read my histograms - that's about it.
Approximate yearly output? 6 months with a K10D and I've taken over 20,000 photos - 9000 of which on a recent three country trip - I'm down to 4900 that need closer review.
What is your favorite subject; what is your least favorite? Favorite = Landscape/Architecture/Art Least Favorite = People.
12-04-2007, 05:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Ok, I'll bite

When did you start and how old were you then? 1966/14.
With what? My Dads Voightlander Bessa folding 6x7, first serious camera was a Pentax SV then a couple of Spotmatic bodies and a bag full of Super Tak primes (well, a few anyway).
Are you formally trained?
Yes, RIT.
If you're an amateur: ever sold anything, got or had an analog darkroom, published or won a contest with work published? Yes, yes, yes.
Any processing experience or formal training; what? Yes, Yes: B&W, Slide, Color,digital nothing-formal on Digi, learn as I go.
How long have you been digital? Done any scanning? First dSLR? About 3 years, No, Pentax *istDS.
Got and/or use a P&S digital? Started with a Minolta S404. Sold off.
Got and/or use a digital video? No.
12-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

When did you start and how old were you then? 2002, 16 or 17
With what? Nikon FE
Are you formally trained? Not really, no.
If you're an amateur: ever sold anything? nope
Got or had an analog darkroom? No, but if I ever do go large-format then I will probably get one I can do Ilfachromes in.
published or won a contest with work published? That would require entering these sort of competitions, wouldn't it? I did have one published on onexposure.net, FWIW.
Any processing experience or formal training; what? ~2 years as a 1-hour lab tech
How long have you been digital? 3 months
Done any scanning? Yep, bought a scanner 3 years ago and still ain't completely caught up with all my slides- roughly 4500 of them since 2002
First dSLR? 2007, K10D
Got and/or use a P&S digital? Pentax W20 that got a workout when it was the only camera I could use, havn't really touched it since I got my K10.
Got and/or use a digital video? Nope- never much interested.
Color management-got it/use it? does Apple's ColorSync count?
Approximate yearly output? not sure about yearly, but monthly roughly 2000 since I went digital.
What is your favorite subject? Architecture, Family, mountain scenics, and the occasional artistic mood.
Photo pet peeve "So, did you get any good pictures?"
12-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #15
Inactive Account

when did you start and how old were you? 1970 when i was 22
with what Kodak Retina Reflex II* with schneider f1.4 (i think...that was many years ago)
are you formally trained? was in the military in germany and used base darkroom which was staffed by a retired AGFA tech.* he was very helpful.* took a class in pittsburgh from Red Hare (i'm not making it up) who assisted W. Eugene Smith during his shoots in pittsburgh.
if an amateur ever sold anything?* no
got or had an analog darkroom * have used many and had temp bathroom installations
published or won a contest with work published * got an honorable mention in a national Tamron lens competition in early 80s.* not published to my knowledge
If a pro, do you belong to any national or international societies, won anything n/a
Any processing experience or formal training; what? bw, c-41 color, and ektachrome in a commercial lab. ads for magazines, catalogs, etc
How long have you been digital? PS 5 years, DSLR 4 months
Done any scanning? small hp scanner, done a few slides, but not much
First dSLR? K100d, August 07
Got and/or use a P&S digital? canon powershot, work related
Got and/or use a digital video? no
Color management-got it/use it? no
Approximate yearly output? approx 1500 shots since august
What is your favorite subject? architecture, streetscapes, nature, people
Photo pet peeve "i've got more pixels than you..."