Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
JC, But of course IR has to be "developed" on the computer so they couldn't see anything on the screen until you get home to process the shots.

Just hope the guy asking hasn't a clue.....

Peter, you guys are GOOD.

12-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

or you could be semi truthful, and say that since it's at such a different wavelength, that you can't see it until you run it through special software, same reason why people aren't in the picture. lol
12-04-2007, 03:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimsi777 Quote
I had this 16 year old boy ask me 'why u taking my picture' in a threatening way once...
"Because you're so damned cool, man." Then you show him the shot, tell him if he doesn't agree it is the coolest thing ever you'll delete it, and ask him to write down his address so you can mail him a print of it.
12-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #19
Forum Member

I guess most people dont like attracting attention to themselves but just think of the interesting people you may meet. 2 or 3 months ago i had a tripod set up taking pics in the evening and a couple out on there walk came up out of interest. Turned out it was fellow members here Grant and Anne, GWP. I consider myself lucky as they are the nicest couple and i intend catching up with them more often. Cheers Keith

12-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this summer, i bought a Vivitar 400MM f5.6 in the marketplace here from igowerf < i think thats how he spells it > and that weekend, i grabbed the tripod, and headed to a local park to check it out. I am not the most outgoing person in the world, by any stretch of the imagination, but i was walking all over that park, camera mounted on the tripod, and looking for ANYTHING to shoot. had a blast, and didn't care what anyone thought. I know i looked like a total dork walking around carrying a tripod and big ole' lens around. Was fun anyway, hehe
12-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I've been waiting to use the ol' "I'm working for His Holiness Osama bin Laden, we are planning to take this infidel jacaranda tree/bird of paradise flower/statue, and I am conducting reconaissance!"

Oh, don't look at me like that. I hear Cuba's nice this time of year, anyway.
12-04-2007, 11:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I must be too old to care? I never give a second thought to what people may be thinking around me. I have found that being out and about with my camera has made me approach more people I would normally though.

12-05-2007, 01:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
teenagers are dumb, i know, i was one a few years ago.
Speak for yourself mate I'm the 16 year old carrying $3500 worth of gear around, I'm not having a go at anyone... and none of my friends (none of whom have similar equipment) do either.
12-05-2007, 06:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
I must be too old to care? I never give a second thought to what people may be thinking around me. I have found that being out and about with my camera has made me approach more people I would normally though.
I have the unique situation of being a massive white man living his life surrounded by (comparatively) small Asians. I stand out like a sore thumb no matter where I go or what I am doing. So whether I'm taking photos or not is not a factor in the slightest.

And the earlier comment about public shooting opening up chances to meet folks one otherwise would not is very true. I have posted about the wonderful experience that has befallen me by butting into a dance recital and taking photos like I owned the place. At the invitation of my neighborhood pro I am going to be joining our local photo club next month and expect that will bring quite a large number of new contacts and opportunities to go shoot with people I otherwise never would have met. And I have found that hauling out one of my ancient cameras causes people to approach me and speak to me who otherwise would have paid me no mind.

In this country, foreigners often lament that it is very difficult to socialize and make acquaintances with our Japanese hosts, since even in Japanese-Japanese situations it can be difficult to broaden one's circle. I always tell them you have to have some reason, some commonality of purpose, to get an "in". I find that photography works very well for that, if one is willing to put himself out there. I suspect it is the same no matter where a person is.

By the way, I just came home and found on my desk the first cash money I have ever received in connection with photography. I am making some prints of the dance recital for some of the parents and the teacher came by today and picked up a couple of CD-Rs that I made and dropped off the payment for them. It's just pocket change, covering the cost of the disks and a little bit for my trouble, but it's nice all the same.
12-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #25

I also used to be the same. The more you go out and shoot, the easier it becomes. I now don't care. I second the suggestion for good old fashioned practice. However, I find people are far more interested when there is a tripod involved so sticking to handheld attracts less attention.