Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

scared shitless

i have the hardest time taking photos alone, it's always easier for me when i'm with someone else that is taking photos or just standing with me helping me with my shots. i've always been super super shy and i always seem to clam up when i take out my tripod and that notice people are watching me when i take my shots. does anyone else get like me? maybe you could share some wisdom getting over yourself and not giving a crap why people look at you when you're shooting

12-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I can relate. Its like if you have a tripod and huge camera its assumed your a pro, all fluid and polished, but if you are really just a happy amateur like myself it feels a little like I warrant more attention by my appearance than I feel I am worthy of. End result though, whether you are a pro or not, nobody knows what you are trying to do. Nobody knows if you got the shot or not, so even if you were totally slick or totally missing the shot, it wouldn't change anything. If you happen to get someone who stops by and asks what you're up to, it'll probably be a good thing as the average person tends to think even basic SLR type shots with depth of field are pretty awesome, even if they technically are not.

Still though, for city shots, I've found using lenses I can free hand easily. I brace myself against whatever is around or lean on rails etc. I also carry a gorillapod in my pack for the odd mounted shot. I actually haven't used my tripod in months. I expect once I begin hiking again next summer, the mountains won't think too much of me and my tripod, lol.

EDIT: I just wanted to add a furthermore, that if you are in a position of responsibility with your shooting (ie expected in some capacity to provide images of an event), then - you ARE the photographer and you can ask people to make room to get the shot. In the end, focusing on the quality of the images inside the finder should take a lot of your extraneous thoughts.

Last edited by thePiRaTE!!; 12-02-2007 at 09:00 PM.
12-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Forum Member

I'm kinda the same way. Usually, I move on to where nobody is at. Been trying to force myself to ignore 'people' and just shoot. I once sat in my truck for 30 mins at our local duck pond until everyone left before I got out to shoot. My mistake. All the ducks gathered around me and wouldn't get far enough away for my 500mm to focus. I usually go out on off days, when everyone else is at work. I guess when I get more confidence in my own work, maybe I won't be as 'shy' to get out there.
12-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Pete....hear what your saying, I am cautious about public photog myself. On a recent trip I observed a young(er) girl taking many shots with her dslr and was impressed with how she went about it. She made a very obvious attempt at looking at everything as a photo opportunity, looking through the viewfinder, moving around to a different angle, another look through the viewfinder, etc etc etc....it all looked very calm , professional yet relaxed with a presence but at the same time not intrusive. (hope I have explained that sufficiently).
I think just get out there and have a go, develop your own style but always respect other people and you shouldn't have too many problems.....and smile.
Cheers
Grant

12-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #5

Practice...

It's like anything else - a little practice and stepping out of your confort zone will go a long way. If you are shooting around normal people, they'll always be interested because either:

a. They think an SLR with any lens is just the coolest and they are jealous

b. They are a photog and/or gearhead themselves and want to know what equipment you're using so they can judge you based on what they shoot :-)

c. They are paranoid and think you are taking pictures of them and posting them on the internet somewhere

d. They are wondering what a tripod is for anyway...

You can either choose to ignore them or you can acknoledge them - the friendly ones will want to chat and that's great - the unfriendly ones will stop watching and leave.

Anyway, I don't know if that helps much...
12-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I felt the same way years ago and think ncallender's comments fit how I adjusted. I'd also suggest you look for a photo club in your area. Often they go on monthly field trips and there is some ease in shooting with folks you know. Get comfortable doing that.

But it's really a matter of practice and picking shooting spots you're comfortable with at first then moving into more challenging ones. The thing is that as you do get right out there most people will have a look in curiosity then ignore you unless the lens is pointed directly at them. Remember that the vast majority of people couldn't turn the camera on, so they won't say much so as not to look foolish. For me now, I go do what I want anywhere and act like I own the place, most people ignore me and I just concentrate on the shot.
12-02-2007, 10:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hey Pete haha a Torontonian too eh? YEa its a little weird at first. Depends where you are though. At places like Eaton Centre, everyone has their camera out taking photos. Parks and gardens are a good place too. Big events like Nuit Blanche (kinda sucked imo) are good practice and very photographer friendly.

I tend to be more reserved on the TTC. Plus people think you're taking photos of them sometimes and they give you hostile looks. Haha but yea don't want any attention from transit officals. Very annoying despite TTC By-Law 16B.

12-03-2007, 12:08 AM   #8
PDL
Pentaxian

I just tend to carry the camera around my neck and in my hand. When getting ready to take a picture, I pick up the camera and shoot. If there is a particular person I would like to take an image of - I usually ask if it is OK - which leads to conversation and could lead to great shots. One of the hardest thing to do is break the ice first - I am not always very good at that, but once it is broken, I have been known to talk more that take pictures. Most people respond well to getting asked, as for those who say no - just thank them and move on. It is surpising how many of "those" people look very disappointed that you do not want to argue.

Carrying a tripod is going to attract attention, using a big lens is going to attract attention. If you do not want to attract attention, then buy a p&s and shoot just out of your pocket. I have struck up some very nice converstions with people - but when the shot comes along I ask them to move - most will. Most also take out their little camera's and start blasting away in the same general direction that I am. Sort of funny, especially the pain in the b&tt people who are the most bothersome - once I asked this guy to move - he wiped out his disposable and started blasting away - I looked through the viewfinder and said sort of loud "Nnaa - too trite". The look on his face was priceless. He left and I got the shot I wanted, but it was a little trite.

Just take your time and get your shot - most people do not have the patients to stand around while you fuss. But if you are in the way, expect people around you to get P*ssed and hostile.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-03-2007, 06:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Pete, there are many of us. I've been shooting on my own for yearrrrrrrrrrrrs and still feel the same way. I had a buddy when I was in Europe and we clicked when it came to p'graphy and we shared many ideas.

Carrying a tripod can sometimes attract attention BUT, if you IGNORE people around you it will be fine. Sometimes I feel self-conscious, sometimes NOT. I just grab hold of the moment and do what I want. People are probably looking at you trying to build-up the courage to speak with you.

Sometimes, other amateurs with camera in hand, will build up the courage to ask your advice, and you'll feel like a million.
12-03-2007, 07:09 AM   #10
Forum Member

I had this 16 year old boy ask me 'why u taking my picture' in a threatening way once... I hate snaping people for this reason. I use a momo pod, it to me, is a quicker setup and less clutter for day shots or street shots...

Last edited by Jimsi777; 12-03-2007 at 11:18 AM.
12-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimsi777 Quote
I had this 16 year old boy ask me 'why u taking my picture' in a threatening way once... I hate snaping people for this reasong. I use a momo pod, it to me is a quicker setup and less clutter for day shots or street shots...
that's when you tell them you're shooting infrared, and people don't show up in the pictures. ;-)

teenagers are dumb, i know, i was one a few years ago.
12-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I just ignore everyone and it seems to work, except when they know me
12-03-2007, 12:27 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
that's when you tell them you're shooting infrared, and people don't show up in the pictures. ;-)

teenagers are dumb, i know, i was one a few years ago.

Thats a good one! lol
12-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
That IS good - if it ever happens I'll try using that line but, what happens if they want to see!
12-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

JC, But of course IR has to be "developed" on the computer so they couldn't see anything on the screen until you get home to process the shots.

Just hope the guy asking hasn't a clue.....