Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

What Kind of Photographer Are You?

Here's a "A Photo Personality Quiz" (from the Amazon page about the "The Photographer's Mind" by Michael Freeman).

Answer the questions below, adding individual answer numbers to a total score.

Do you know how to read a histogram?
  1. More or less
  2. Fairly well, and I’m getting better all the time
  3. Of course! What a nerve to ask!

Which of the following photographers do you most admire?
  1. Trent Parke
  2. Irving Penn
  3. Ansel Adams
  4. Myself

If we were going to give you a free gift (which we’re not. so don’t build your hopes up), which of the following would you prefer?
  1. A year’s invitations to opening nights at the photo gallery of your choice
  2. A coffee-table book on grand American landscapes
  3. The latest Ukrainian software to do something amazing to your image

Which of the following have you photographed the most in the last year?
  1. People
  2. Landscape
  3. Fire hydrant
  4. Detail of a wall
  5. Gas station

How many times in the last week have you visited online photo forums?
  1. 0-10
  2. 10-50
  3. 50 plus

Imagining you didn’t already have these, which would you prefer as your next lens?
  1. An 85mm ƒ/1.4
  2. A 105mm Macro
  3. A lens that bends, swings or tilts

Good composition is . . .
  1. Interesting contrast between elements
  2. Rule of Thirds
  3. Getting it all inside the frame
  4. It’s more important to get it sharp, because you can fix the composition later

What is your favorite kind of lighting?
  1. Anything unusual
  2. Backlighting
  3. Sunset and sunrise
  4. Frontal and crisp
  5. Flash

Helmut Newton was holding a DSLR and said, “It’s all automatic. All I have to do is press the button.” He then pointed to his head and said, “It’s all in here.” Did he mean . . .
  1. The camera is irrelevant
  2. He understood exactly how the camera works
  3. This camera is a miracle of modern engineering

How did you score? Add up the numbers for each answer you checked . . .

10-16
Either you have a passion for shooting, or you cheated because you guessed that a low score would be best. Even if the latter, at least you wanted to look like a photographer rather than a techno-geek, so you won’t be disappointed to find that this new book is completely about thinking and shooting pictures, with not a piece of a camera kit or a computer screen anywhere in sight!

17-24
What a balanced, reasonable and moderate individual you are! The alternative would be that you couldn’t really make up your mind, but that can’t be true, can it? Anyway, I really envy you for steering clear of extremes. Guess what . . . you’ll find an equally balanced view of the range of photographic expression and style in this book!

25-33
You just might need a little more excitement in your photographic life. Moreover, you’ll go pasty-faced from sitting in front of the computer screen. Recommendation: close it down, spend an hour reading this book, then go out with the camera and take at least two photographs of a kind you’ve never tried before.

Last edited by Class A; 09-09-2011 at 08:12 PM.
09-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is amazon paying you for this? I scored a perfect 17. I have always had a balanced approach to photography, avoiding the extremes because the only things you will find there are the cliché and the mediocre.

No matter how good you get at photography there is one very important thing to remember: only the mediocre are always at their best.
09-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Is amazon paying you for this?
I should be so lucky.

I thought it is a nice quiz to take. I don't see a problem with the links to an Amazon page, do you? I think it would have been much more problematic to copy the content and not link to the page.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I scored a perfect 17.
I got away with 13.

Last edited by Class A; 09-09-2011 at 11:17 PM.
09-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Perfect 17 here too. It seems I am a balanced individual when it comes to my photography, laugh.

09-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I hit Irving Penn and 10-50 forum visits so I scored 11. Without cheating. Guess I'm unbalanced. Maniacal. Obsessed. Guilty as charged!
09-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
18, from mostly 3's and 1's. A contradictory extremist.
09-10-2011, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I scored 15. I would have scored 11 but for some reason, knowing how to read a histogram and liking Ansel Adam's work are penalized.

09-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who should I believe? My wife that says I am totally unbalanced, or this quiz that says I am balanced. At least in respect to photography. I got 20
09-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The kind that spends too much time window shopping and hanging out at forums instead of becoming a better photographer.
09-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm a nerdy kind of a photographer that uses cameras to enhance the enjoyment of his hobbies.

My favorite hobbies are Cosplaying and taking pictures of women.

Combined, it's unstoppable.
09-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I didn't bother totalling the score. For one thing, I don't have the first damned idea who Helmut Newton, Trente Park, or Irving Penn are, and for another I am not a photographer.
09-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I didn't bother totalling the score. For one thing, I don't have the first damned idea who Helmut Newton, Trente Park, or Irving Penn are, and for another I am not a photographer.
I had no idea who Trente Park was either, and no surprise -- t'ain't nobody. But Trent Parke is with Magnum. The rest were pretty easy. And yes, I *am* a togger, among other things. Like, boring.
09-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I got 11 but the quiz had nothing about nature and wildlife photog.
09-11-2011, 03:13 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
17 here, just scraped in from being a techno geek.
09-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #15
mel
Veteran Member

Do I have to be a particular "type?" Because sometimes I'm one type, others I'm another type. Depends on the situation, setting, job, whathave you. I could probably truthfully answer all questions with all of the above. Well, except the histogram one since I do know how to read it, I just don't always pay attention to it. And the forum one since I kind of have to pop in regularly. And I really don't have a favorite photographer since that also fall under the category of "depends."