Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #1

A good book to learn digital photography?

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post - I'm new to this forum, and pretty new to photography for that matter.

I have had my K-x for a year now and cannot afford to take any courses and find trawling the internet time consuming and tedious.

I am hoping to find a book that will cover the basics of digital photography and includes a good section on post processing. I don't want to get a book just on photoshop (although I own it).

Other areas I have been wondering about are:

recommended settings for various situations
tips for flash photography
filters - when to use and why
inspiration for photo projects

So can anyone help with a recommendation. I hope that is not too vague. I already own one book (the complete photography manual -McWhinnie) but it is out of date and I don't want to waste my money

09-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dicko3000 Quote
and pretty new to photography for that matter
If you are new to photography, go to the library and check out this book:
Understanding Exposure by Peterson.

It obviously is not a comprehensive book on all things photography. But it is the one book that helped me the most.
09-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
If you are new to photography, go to the library and check out this book:
Understanding Exposure by Peterson.

It obviously is not a comprehensive book on all things photography. But it is the one book that helped me the most.
+1. Understanding Exposure is a perfect first book on photography.
09-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And complement your learning with basic tutorials from online resources such as here: Learning basic photographic techniques - PentaxForums.com and "Understanding Exposure" by Peterson and taking pics with my Kit Lens - PentaxForums.com

09-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

I also recommend Understanding Exposure. What impressed me is that it's very readable with lots of example photos to demonstrate the techniques that are discussed in the book.
09-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I learned on The Photographers Handbook by John Hedgecoe. Lots of stuff to keep you occupied for at least a week.
09-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips all! I will certainly check out Understanding Exposure and The Photographer's Handbook. It seems like I will need more than one book Any other suggestions for specific help with post-processing?

10-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
If you are new to photography, go to the library and check out this book: Understanding Exposure by Peterson. It obviously is not a comprehensive book on all things photography. But it is the one book that helped me the most.
Purchased this book and really appreciate the recommendations! It is brilliant. It's really helping me understand the basics and has inspired me to try all sorts of new things. Shame I just broke my K-x I think I was really improving
10-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Purchased this book and really appreciate the recommendations! It is brilliant. It's really helping me understand the basics and has inspired me to try all sorts of new things. Shame I just broke my K-x I think I was really improving
There's always something…
10-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the tips all! I will certainly check out Understanding Exposure and The Photographer's Handbook. It seems like I will need more than one book Any other suggestions for specific help with post-processing?
There are some good free web-based resources on post processing and photography in general.

For post processing, About.com has tutorials for several different softwares. I've used several from the Paint Shop Pro series.

About Graphics Software - Tutorials Reviews Tips and Help for Working with Graphics

Ron Bigelow has more Photoshop info than a normal person could ever hope to comprehend in a lifetime.

Ron Bigelow Photography Articles

Both the Techniques and Tutorial sections at Luminous Landscape are worth a look.

The Luminous Landscape

A fun one for learning the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO is the camera simulator at SimCam.
The SimCam: Film and Digital Camera Simulator - Photonhead.com

Tim
10-07-2011, 06:13 AM   #11

Original Poster
thanks tim will check those out, feel i'm about ready to tackle post now, especially as i wont be taking any pictures for a while!
10-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
thanks tim will check those out, feel i'm about ready to tackle post now, especially as i wont be taking any pictures for a while!
Check out the Post Processing Challenge. It will give you PP practice and several variations on the same picture.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/16134...enge-49-a.html

Tim
10-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #13

Original Poster
will give it a shot, it is pretty amazing how much you can get out of a shot with PP!