Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
SouthShoreRob

Website critique?

Not sure where to post this exactly so if the MODS have to move it, by all means, do so. Instead of asking you to critique a particular photo, I wonder if you wouldn't mind critiquing my revamped website design. I've been tooling around with it for the past few days and have finally arrived, I think, at a meaningful look.

Anyways, I'd love to hear what you think - the good, bad, and ugly.

Thanks,

Rob

12-04-2007, 05:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Rob, I think its looking great, much better than what you had. Only one comment from my end, the size of the font. If you set this thru css, I would suggest increasing by 2 points at least.

Otherwise, its looking great.
12-04-2007, 05:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Rob, I didn't get a chance to check out version 1, but 2 is looking good. One of the most important aspects of a website is that its pleasing to the eyes. You've certainly pulled that off, quite elegantly at that! good work!
12-04-2007, 08:12 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Rob,

I like your website! Did you use a version of iweb?
Your shots of Point Pele brought back a memory of my Cub Scout days when we took a trip there and to the bird sanctuary.

Thanks for the memories!

12-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Rob, I think its looking great, much better than what you had. Only one comment from my end, the size of the font. If you set this thru css, I would suggest increasing by 2 points at least.

Otherwise, its looking great.
Thanks for looking and for the suggestion. I had thought of that, but inexplicably forgot to re-adjust the settings before uploading. I've fixed it now, moving up from 12 to 14. Should be easier on your eyes, and mine too, lol.
12-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
SouthShoreRob

Thanks jshurak

QuoteOriginally posted by tdmsu Quote
Rob,

I like your website! Did you use a version of iweb?
Your shots of Point Pele brought back a memory of my Cub Scout days when we took a trip there and to the bird sanctuary.

Thanks for the memories!
Yes, I created this website with iWeb 08. I used the pre-established LAYERED PAPER template as a starting point. Quick, easy, and attractive. Uploading is somewhat bothersome though given I don't use the .mac account, but still, it's well worth it.

As for Point Pelee, you're quite welcome. It's one of the best places 'round here for a photographer to visit and snap away. The family and I try to visit there at least once a year.
12-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like it...Classy and easy to navigate.

12-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by sajmmiller Quote
I like it...Classy and easy to navigate.
Thanks Scott - that's exactly what I was going for.
02-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
SouthShoreRob

Revamped once more

Well, the existing website is no more. I have spent the better part of the weekend re-doing the site once-more. The new look, you will see, is more POTD/blog-ish and features a completely new theme/colour scheme. I think, going forward, this web design will work better for me on three accounts:

a) it will put pressure on me to use my camera every day
b) it will serve as a creative outlet for me to write what I'm thinking
c) it will, in essence, serve as a sort of online diary that I can always refer back to

If you'd care to comment on the new look, I'd be happy to read your comments/criticisms.

Thanks

Rob
02-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

fine point black text on a grainy gray background is hard to read

also, your "email me" link, be ready to slowly get more and more spam through the website, i'm currently researching ways to make web bots skip that, you should too.
02-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

this might be a bit nitpicky ... perhaps you can give your HTML Title something more descriptive, instead of "Home", "Archive" ... add in the south shore snapshots
02-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
fine point black text on a grainy gray background is hard to read

also, your "email me" link, be ready to slowly get more and more spam through the website, i'm currently researching ways to make web bots skip that, you should too.
Yes, well, I guess that ultimately depends on your display. In my case (iMac) it's fine. That said, I went ahead and "bolded" all of the text to help it stand out better. I then tried it on the wife's Dell Inspiron laptop and it appears easier to read.

Do you agree?

I'd hate to go all-white as I'd then have to introduce a third colour (perhaps red).

Rob
02-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #13
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
this might be a bit nitpicky ... perhaps you can give your HTML Title something more descriptive, instead of "Home", "Archive" ... add in the south shore snapshots
Yes, I do have the ability to name each page as it appears on the interactive menu, but not sure about what appears in the official "html" signature. I'm using iWeb, so really, I don't even get to see the proper html coding - that's all done for me.

Thanks for looking.

Rob
02-25-2008, 06:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

And here I thought you were busy as the result of the Spits' mourning.

Anyway, my personal opinion, get rid of the bold and get rid of the dark grey colour AND image background. You want your pages to be "pretty" but you also want them to be fast-loading and easily readable.

The archive (I think it should be archives) you have thumbnails which are slow loading and when they do come-up, they're just small tiny pictures - what's the use???
02-25-2008, 06:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I like this version better.