Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Phone cameras not a threat, says Leica CEO

QuoteQuote:
Mobile-phone manufacturers are increasingly equipping their handsets with higher-megapixel cameras these days.

The trend has led some to wonder if the traditional camera would go the way of the dodo bird.

However, in the eyes of Mr Alfred Schopf, the global chief executive of Leica Camera, that is not an issue at all.

Here's why: The sensor of a traditional camera is more powerful than that of a cellphone camera.
One century ago:

Horseless carriages not a theat, says Conestoga CEO
And buggywhip makers have nothing to fear from newfangled machines

09-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For Leica, phone cameras aren't a threat. Leica is a prestige and very high end brand, with a very select user base. Camera phones are a threat to point and shoot manufacturers.
09-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Camera phones may not be a threat to Leica, but they have all but killed Kodak.
09-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Camera phones may not be a threat to Leica, but they have all but killed Kodak.
Pitbull and Neyo killed Kodak.

Phone cameras don't technically threaten digital cameras - or rather, phone cameras have a stigma about them that no amount of advance technology will get rid of in the eyes of the general consumer.

09-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the phone cameras are going to be a big threat to the P&S market. I've been taking some shots with my Droid X2 camera and they aren't all that bad, especially the outside/daytime snapshots.
09-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Pitbull and Neyo killed Kodak.

Phone cameras don't technically threaten digital cameras - or rather, phone cameras have a stigma about them that no amount of advance technology will get rid of in the eyes of the general consumer.
The general consumer doesn't care. If their phone takes a good enough picture, it's one less thing they have to carry.
The general consumer doesn't really care overly about final image quality. Most pictures now are looked at on screens anyway.
09-17-2011, 05:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I think the phone cameras are going to be a big threat to the P&S market. I've been taking some shots with my Droid X2 camera and they aren't all that bad, especially the outside/daytime snapshots.
+1. I use my 12mp nokia n8 with a carl zeiss lens, when my K-x is not near because of its size. I don't need another, smaller, p&s for such purposes

09-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just take a look at what the number 1 camera on Flickr is. The iPhone 4 averages more than 5000 users a day, the number 1 P&S averages around 500 a day. And the number a camera phones is under-represented because camera phones don't show up in EXIF (about 1/3 of the time).
09-17-2011, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I've been shooting for publication for decades. The advances in digital technology are mind-blowing, not just in cameras, but in printing technologies as well. During the past couple of years, I've sold cover shots from an underwater P&S, and one of the design artists I know told me he can now get a usable picture from a cell phone. He hasn't used one, yet, because he hasn't been presented with one that has good composition (they can't be cropped), but the technology is there. As far as posting dummed down images on the internet, I doubt one could tell the difference between the typical snapshots from the better cell phones and an entry level DSLR.
What pros once called "idiot cameras" have become genius cameras, but the major difference remains what one puts into the frame and when one snaps the shutter. That's a great deal harder to accomplish with a cell phone (and to some extent, a P&S) than with a top line DSLR.
09-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

One century ago:

Horseless carriages not a theat, says Conestoga CEO
And buggywhip makers have nothing to fear from newfangled machines
I think Point and Shoot will eventually go away do to the fact this instant society wants to be able to upload to the "Social Network", and cell/smart phones have that ability. Our "instant" society doesn't want to tether a device, insert a card to a computer, etc. DSLR, on the otherhand, will be around a while. Just look at this forum. Look at the truely wonderful images posted daily. We DLSR users, spend great amount of time searching for the right shot, and spent numerous hours post processing, as well as BIG money on glass, tripods, etc. I have no reason whatsoever to buy a Smartphone, ( just like the idea of being creative with my lens/exposure, composition). Photograpy is an Artform that won't be lost, although it changes and evolves with technology. IMO
09-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
For Leica, phone cameras aren't a threat. Leica is a prestige and very high end brand, with a very select user base. Camera phones are a threat to point and shoot manufacturers.
I agree with this entire post. For Leica buyers, even APS-C DSLRs and FF DSLRs aren't much of a threat. lol If you want a Leica...you buy a Leica. However, I DO think that cellphone cameras are going to kill off the P&S market. I see people using their cellphones the same way that people used to use P&S film cameras in the past. They're not trying to create art. They just want a record that Aunt May and Uncle Jimmy posed together on their 90th birthday.
09-18-2011, 01:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just take a look at what the number 1 camera on Flickr is. The iPhone 4 averages more than 5000 users a day, the number 1 P&S averages around 500 a day. And the number a camera phones is under-represented because camera phones don't show up in EXIF (about 1/3 of the time).
I think the shot count alone shouldn't be used to answer this question. Total number of pictures has increased, partially due to new types of imaging devices.
What should be observed as well is market data.
E.g. if people go for more expensive phone with a tad better camera instead of phone+camera, and P&S sales decrease.
Most people i know use phone to take "additional" shots (which wouldn't be taken if they didn't have phone cam.), but still have P&S for "usual" or "better" pictures.
09-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
I think the shot count alone shouldn't be used to answer this question. ....
Totally agree with this as the iPhone/Droid devices will naturally have a higher 'publish to web rate' - by their very nature they are designed to push an image up to the web with the 'press of a button'.

However for the bulk of P&S users, there is at least two steps to 'publish' a photo.

This will clearly increase the number of images - even 'bad' ones - that make it to flickr from a Phone Camera vs a P&S where someone has to make an effort to publish....

End result - lots of 'easily published' drivel from 'web enabled' devices....
09-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by jcamero Quote
I think Point and Shoot will eventually go away do to the fact this instant society wants to be able to upload to the "Social Network", and cell/smart phones have that ability. Our "instant" society doesn't want to tether a device, insert a card to a computer, etc. DSLR, on the otherhand, will be around a while. Just look at this forum. Look at the truely wonderful images posted daily. We DLSR users, spend great amount of time searching for the right shot, and spent numerous hours post processing, as well as BIG money on glass, tripods, etc. I have no reason whatsoever to buy a Smartphone, ( just like the idea of being creative with my lens/exposure, composition). Photograpy is an Artform that won't be lost, although it changes and evolves with technology. IMO
Maybe, but what's the real impact of adding in built-in wireless into P&S cameras? Or in pulling a Kindle with 'Whispernet,' which is limited usage of cell networks?
There are P&S cams coming out with built-in GPS, this is only a slight 'increase' on top of that.

As tech advances, there's a constant (if sometimes slow) shifting of what represents 'good enough' to a majority of users (consumers). It's likely that cell phone cameras have already cut into the p&s market, but the p&s tech isn't standing still, either, with some p&s (or bridge, or micro 4/3) chipping away at entry level DSLRs, and DSLRs cropped chipping away at full frames. At the point that today's cell phones are as 'good enough' compared to last years P&S, it may be a bigger dent to the p&s market, but I don't think we're there yet, except for the least discriminating shooters. With a cell phone, your real estate for possible optics is simply too limited, with the desire for smaller and smaller phones impacting it even further. Of course, at some point, assuming a 20x 'near lossless' digital zoom becomes available, the bar will shift a bit for 'at what point does someone want/need a better camera?' Add in improvements to noise reduction, allowing an effectively higher iso, and each generation starts to gain some abilities formerly reserved for their 'bigger brothers.'

I'd love to see some stats, but I'd wager that mobiles have already cut into p&s somewhat, micro 4/3rds have cut into cropped DSLRs, and cropped DSLRs have cut into FF - just as non of this has happened overnight (how many of you stayed with film until somewhat recently?), I don't think the cell phone cameras are going to take over the p&s market completely, nor will the micro 4/3rds (and similar, nex, etc.) destroy the dslr market, although I'm expecting micro 4/3rd/nex to take front stage within the next couple of years, as the 'good enough' for most people, and I'm not seeing how FF in the consumer space is likely to survive outside of pro only pricing due to dwindling market size..
10-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I am waiting for someone to say there are too many rich dentists out there for the IPhone 4s to threaten Leica.