Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Metz SuperMegaLightningBlitz

Today I got it my new toy. Metz Megablitz 58 AF ... plaa, plaa, something, flashgun. It is still in the box ... just came from the sauna, having a beer and thinking? Should I open the box

Maybe I wait and do some fun stuff tomorrow

12-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Try this one:
Set the camera to x-sync mode. (the red X)
Use ISO 100
Set the flash to manual and put it on 1/4 power.
Use a small aperture, maybe around f5.6 depending on the lens you use
shoot and adjust untill the exposure looks good.
Then increase the flash to full power and stop the lens down 2 more stops to compensae. Then fire away and observe what happens.

This experiment is to test what happens when the camera sync speed is 1/180 and the flash needs an incredibly slow 1/125 to discharge a full power flash.

Im curious how that works out.

Other than that, congrats with the new toy!
12-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello Andreas,

The flash looks and feels very robust and well build. I like the secondary reflector when using bounce light.

I did what you suggested. When you use full power and compensate by two stops, there is some difference (slightly darker, but no differences in corners or ...). In this quick test I received similar result when I went down about 1 and one third stop (1 - 1 1/3).

I don't have experience on Pentax flashguns, but this flash is just what I needed
12-13-2007, 06:59 AM   #4

Did you shoot on tripod at full flash in the same (dark) location with same settings except different shutter speeds: paticulary 180 and 125 (maybe also 60)? I would like to see sample shots. If the images shot by faster shutter speeds are darker, then the flash does not fire fully in them.

12-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #5

You could test if the flash gives maximum output at shutter speed 180 by doing some test shots: Choose an object that is in dim light or in complete darkness. Put your camera on a tripod few meters away from the object and attach the flash. Select the manual mode in camera and flash. Set flash to full power. Choose ISO 100 and aperture so that it is the guide number of the flash divided by the distance between the flash and object in meters (or do test shots to determine usable aperture setting). Then do some test shots changing only shutter speeds: 180, 125 and 60 (available when you select 1/2 stop EV steps). From these samples you should be able to see, if there is difference. Well, I would like to see your results.