Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Grey market for digital cameras may bite the dust soon

Grey market for digital cameras may bite the dust soon - The Times of India

QuoteQuote:
... India is the main focus for all the global camera majors and as a consequence of that, the market is also increasing rapidly, which is ultimately causing the death of grey market.

"The general trend amongst consumers is to buy expensive lenses and camera bodies from the grey market at a cheaper rate, but now with most of the players providing the product at a place nearby them, with an extended guarantee period and free memory cards, people are ready to buy it from us officially" ...

"More awareness among the consumers and round-the-clock marketing have also stepped up the chances to diminish the grey market" ...

India is a price conscious market ... so with more shopping shop concept and 24 hour customer care backup, it is now more sensible for a customer to buy the gear from official dealers than to go and buy it from the grey market.
How active is the grey market in your locale? Do high 'official' costs drive you to gray markets? Will you pay for customer care? Are you sensible?

09-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
If manufacturers would stop supporting rip-off-merchant importers with exclusive distribution rights, and/or pocketing for themselves the massive windfalls of operating in uncompetitive markets, there would be no grey market, or people ordering overseas.

At least nowadays consumers have a choice, even if it is not ideal.
09-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I bought my first DSLR in Chennai, India while backpacking. I bought it grey market because it was cheaper but also because the Indian warranty was useless to me. It was a substantial discount if I remember correctly

I got the camera back to my guesthouse and while playing with it noticed a shutter defect (!) (India + grey market + defect out of the box) I was terrified we had just gotten screwed, next day camera shop was closed...

Moved some trains around and stayed an extra night (Chennai is not the nicest city by a long stretch, I hate to say) luckily the store owner was a good man and prompty exchanged the camera for me... Phew!

But I digress...

I think the warranties are well worth the extra now. Especially after shooting Pentax for awhile
09-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Australia, there is definitely a strong interest for grey market because the local importers keep inflated prices. For the same price, I would buy in Australia.

But my last 5 purchases were overseas because I could get the same product for 1/2 price (incl. shipping). So... I buy from reputed stores like B&H, Adorama, keh.com and from the PF forum marketplace and I will continue to do so until the local importers keep the retail prices in line with the serious competition.