Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I used to carry a backpack and leave stuff in my outer pockets. Then I was pickpocketed in Guatemala (they only got my wallet, not my P&S, whew!) and some Old Hands hipped me to the teardrop Ameribag, which I now carry religiously. When nobody's around, it hangs around my back. If anybody is near, I swing it around front, with the neckstrapped K20D resting atop it.

I visualize a map-scam encounter as going something like this: I'm in a populous city, so the Ameribag is in front. The fiends accost me. I stand there with the camera+lens atop my bag at gut-level, with my right hand atop the gear, and my left hand fending-off the fiends. I rather intensely dislike being jostled. I can be a bit adamant about protecting my personal space.

IOW: Don't be a sucker. Elbows are useful.

09-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
with one of those standard lightweight 18-55mm kit lenses I can see how you might not notice a difference in weight around your neck with the sudden absence of the lens attached, but anything other than the kit lens, how would you not notice? with pancake lenses like the DA40 you probably wouldnt, but as mentioned above, it would be insanely difficult to pull that scam with such a lens. and why would anyone want to steal a kit lens. I know personally if I were out and my 43, 55 or 77mm was snatched like this I would instantly recognize a weight difference.
All true, but then there are also a lot of lenses like the FA50 whose weight would be easy to miss.
09-30-2011, 01:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My camera strap is already wired and so is my bag, and this kind of thing is why I don't just let my camera dangle at my back or side like some do. If I have my camera out and someone approaches me I put it away and lock it up. I don't offer to help tourists find things either, not when they're coming at me in packs. I'd just back away, lock it up if I could. I'm too suspicious to begin with, but it wouldn't help them to ask me even if they were legit. I practically need a GPS just to get to the local flea market and I'm useless on roads I don't know well. I was born with no sense of direction, period, lol.