Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey photogs! You're only as good as your gear. Says Nikon...

So yesterday, it looked liked Nikon had a small snaffuu on Facebook when they posted the following:

QuoteQuote:
A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses, and a good lens is essential to taking good pictures! Do any of our facebook fans use any of the NIKKOR lenses? Which is your favorite and what types of situations do you use it for?

I can't find the wall post any more, but the Consumerist took a screen shot and at the time there were 1,455 people who "Liked" the post. Story can be found here Photographers Find Nikon's Facebook Status A Little Insulting

Lol. To me Nikon is basically saying "You guys suck unless you use our equipment."

09-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
So yesterday, it looked liked Nikon had a small snaffuu on Facebook when they posted the following:

I can't find the wall post any more, but the Consumerist took a screen shot and at the time there were 1,455 people who "Liked" the post. Story can be found here Photographers Find Nikon's Facebook Status A Little Insulting

Lol. To me Nikon is basically saying "You guys suck unless you use our equipment."
Yeah that seems like brazen wording even for a company that sells lenses and cameras... A less ridiculous thing to have said would have been, "A photographer's true talents are limited only by the quality of his equipment, and with NIKKOR lenses those limits are lifted!" Even that's a stretch on the truth, but would have allowed credit for talent go where it belongs while still making NIKKOR lenses seem like a requirement for quality shots.
09-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
A less ridiculous thing to have said would have been, "A photographer's true talents are limited only by the quality of his equipment, and with NIKKOR lenses those limits are lifted!"
But that doesn't exactly trip off the tongue does it?

I think it's fine and don't see what all the fuss is about. They are in the business of selling lenses, after all.
09-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
But that doesn't exactly trip off the tongue does it?

I think it's fine and don't see what all the fuss is about. They are in the business of selling lenses, after all.
I think it caused a stink because people always talk about how it's the person behind the viewfinder, not the camera, that makes for good photography. And Nikon's post makes it seem that's not the case at all. But yeah, people were probably reading too much into it.

09-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nikon and Canon have always thought it was their gear that made the photos good... big surprise!
09-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses,
So I guess a female togger isn't limited by gear, only by imagination, talent, skill, etc -- qualities that males must lack. Guys are obviously underpowered gearbois who can't 'perform' unless they have the latest manly hardware. "Hey wimp, my lens is bigger than yours!" The subtext of the message is: If you're unsure of your masculinity, buy Nikon.
09-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
So I guess a female togger isn't limited by gear, only by imagination, talent, skill, etc -- qualities that males must lack. Guys are obviously underpowered gearbois who can't 'perform' unless they have the latest manly hardware. "Hey wimp, my lens is bigger than yours!" The subtext of the message is: If you're unsure of your masculinity, buy Nikon.
Preferably a telescoping zoom lens to drive the point home.
09-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, I'm feeling a lot better now since I actually do use Nikkor lenses.

All from the 1960s and 1970s.

All with permanent custom-machined pentax mounts so they fit on my non-nikon cameras.

Thank you NIKON for making me a better photographer!

09-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was wondering why my photos suck. Now, I know. Thanks for letting us in on the secret to great photographs!
09-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #10

I believe it is called marketing. I find it hard to believe you can't see that. They just want to sell some more to the people who know sh1t about photography.
09-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

This is true. Now I must buy Nikkor lenses for my self. Even I could manage and make a good shots everey one likes. Is it enough that I buy just a lens or do I have to buy some other stuff too? I cannot affod both, lens and camera. What if my photos are not better after buying all of that gear. Oh my!

Nah, I think that this thread is just pulling strings attached to a big bulls sh!t. Which looks better after everyone says so.

Edit: I did not mean this precise thread, but that label where this thread came from...
09-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
I believe it is called marketing. I find it hard to believe you can't see that. They just want to sell some more to the people who know sh1t about photography.
Yeah, that. I see nothing wrong with it from a marketing viewpoint. Plus, it is true :-)
09-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You're only as good as your gear. Says Nikon...
Oh dear, I guess that's me out of a job, cos I use Pentax.
09-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strikes me as more accurate than most advertising. Note the "only". They're not saying gear makes the photographer, just that the limitations of one's equipment matter, which is true. Nor did they directly tie that statement to the one about Nikkor lenses. Of course they're trying to sell their gear; of course you can quibble over the way they've phrased it, but this is essentially ad copy after all. Some will read that and be more likely to buy some expensive piece of Nikon gear, need it or not. A fool and his money ...
09-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

This marketing ploy is a less than superficial take on the gear vs. photographer debate, which has featured a lot on this forum in the past. We all know that it takes both to get good photography, so Nikon (and Canon) can just keep riding that high horse... We'll just keep taking photos ourselves...