Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

What to take for a Hike

I'm heading out for a 3 day (2 nights) hike in a few weeks on the Alpine Walking Track in Victoria, Australia, and am going to take the camera with me. It’s the first time I’m heading away with the camera were I can’t get things if I forget so I'm trying to work out what I need to take with me. So far my list is:
• Camera (Pentax k-r) (Obvious I know, but I’ve forgotten skis when skiing before)
• Memory cards (2x16gb + 1x4gb)
• Batteries (8 x eneloop AA + k-r battery)
• Lens (16-45mm + 50-200mm)
• Tripod
• Gorillapod
• Bag

I’m also looking at getting a couple of filters, a circular polariser (I know which one I want) and an nd filter. I’m looking at getting 2 stop and 8-9 stop nd filters, do you think that would cover me for most things?

Do you think I’ve forgotten anything?

10-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd throw in something that lets you get a semi-macro shot. A close up filter would surfice.

(I'm assuming that's enough batteries)
10-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only thing I can think of is a microfiber cloth in case that you need to clean the front element of the lens or filter.
Otherwise, it seems to me that you would be quite well prepared with that setup.
10-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

A few more things:

* Do charge fully your batteries in advance.

* Take a cloth to wipe the camera and lens if rain, wet, dirty.

* Your bag is a most important item. Try it in advance and check that you can acess all essentials without dropping things ...

Hope that the comments will help and good hiking...

10-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Are you really going to need ND filters? I'd also think about taking either the small or the big tripod, not both. I'd consider leaving the 50-200 behind too to be honest.

My experience of overnight hiking is that you need to be absolutely ruthless with what you'll be packing. Overnight hikes are very different from day hikes because of the tents, sleeping gear & food you have to take. Weight is a real issue unless you're super fit and used to doing this.
10-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Won't the tripod be more of an inconvenience?

Especially since you're taking the GorillaPod.
10-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies. I forgot about the cleaning kit, that's now on the list.
I'm not really that interested in macro, but the 16-45mm has a min focus of 28cm, which is close enough for me at the moment. I'd never heard of a close up filter before, quite interesting, I might look into that in the future.

Edit: I've just got a new Velbon Sherpa Pro CF 435, which is pretty light (1kg), so want to take the new toy with me. I'm considering not taking the Gorillapod, but it doesn't really weigh that much and is handy to have. If it doesn't fit I won't take it. I agree about not taking too much, that's my issue with batteries, they weigh quite a bit but you really don't want to run out. The last time I went on a similar hike my pack weighed in at 34kg (75lbs for the imperial people) so I'm thinking it will be at least 4kg more with what I had listed to start with. I'll consider loosing the 50-200 as my biggest interest is in taking wide angles of the mountains, but it would still be nice to have it with me, just gives you so much more range.

I'm really hoping the weather is good at night as I'd like to try taking a couple of start trail shots. The issue there is from what I can tell that will really eat my batteries.

Last edited by Smilesy; 10-02-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: More posts while replying
10-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Might want to look into a shutter release cable for those long night exposures.
10-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
Might want to look into a shutter release cable for those long night exposures.
Thanks, forgot about that. Hopefully will get mine in the mail today. Now on the list
10-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't use AA batteries in my camera but I presume yours can use AA Lithium (non rechargeable)--they are much lighter and last longer. More expensive but how often do you backpack? Also you may want a lens brush and small level. From what you say I would think more about leaving the longer zoom home. Also you may want to dump the camera bag--your backpack may also have a daybag feature. If not a fanny pack lets you access camera stuff w/o removing pack. For future keep notes about what works and doesn't.
10-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I don't use AA batteries in my camera but I presume yours can use AA Lithium (non rechargeable)--they are much lighter and last longer. More expensive but how often do you backpack? Also you may want a lens brush and small level. From what you say I would think more about leaving the longer zoom home. Also you may want to dump the camera bag--your backpack may also have a daybag feature. If not a fanny pack lets you access camera stuff w/o removing pack. For future keep notes about what works and doesn't.
I did think about getting a couple of sets of Lithium batteries, as they do last longer (didn't know they were lighter but that is interesting), but there are the same price as the eneloops, so think I'll just get them instead, makes more sense to me in the long run for me.
My camera bag is pretty small, and has a loop on the back for attaching to a belt, so I'm intending to do that with it, I'll have to check it is comfortable first though. I think I'll take the 50-200 with me first time, and if I don't use it at all, not take it the next time. It's under 300g anyway. I would really love a DA 15mm Limited in the future, would allow me to pack much smaller.
I have a bubble on my hot shoe, so I'm covered there, its not great but good enough for most things. Both tripod have levels as well.
10-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #12
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I backpack a lot--including carrying a canoe and rucksack for 5 days, so packing light is something I do (and have done) a lot. I find for nature a zoom is not very beneficial and heavier. I guess I am saying the 15mm is good food for thought. I usually take a wide angle, a 50mm, and a 2x teleconverter, if I can stand the weight. If not I pick one of the lenses.
10-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Clear plastic bags & rubber bands to cover your camera with if it rains and you want to keep on shooting - your lenses may be WR but the camera isn't of course !

I'd definitely leave the tripod behind - you may want to play with your new toy but carting an extra 1kg around for 3 days isn't the way to do it IMHO. The Gorillapod and rocks etc. should suffice. Be ruthless or pay the price.

Rocket blower. If you are not taking a dedicated camera-bag then extra bubble pack padding for your lenses/camera, as hiking packs are not designed for them.

If it's going to be sunny them the CPL may come in handy. If going near lakes/waterfalls/sea then the ND may come in handy too. Maybe a UV filer as protection for the front of your lense(s) if you are going to be hiking with the camera around your neck (take it you have a strap).
10-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You mention the zoom is light! I failed to mention I would not take a plastic barrel lens if I had a choice. e.g., I have a FA 28-70mm f/4 but would worry about packing it--or any of the light weight (non-metal) lenses. Depends I guess how rough the conditions might be.
10-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I have found that a long lens is nothing but extra weight on hikes. Unless I plan and expect to be shooting wildlife, I leave it. My wildlife encounters have been sudden and brief and I wouldn't have got a shot off even if the camera was dangling from my neck. The 16-45 would be an excellent walk around. Filters? You may or may not use them but they weigh nothing and take little space. CPL's and ND's are handy outdoors. A tripod or some sort of stabilizing gear is essential if you are going to do any low light shooting. I use a Trek Pod which is a walking stick which functions as a monopod and can open to a tripod. Not super sturdy but but it has always done it's job for me when I needed it to. Almost all of my hiking shots are wide angle landscapes and macros. The 50-200 probably isn't too heavy to bring along but don't be surprised if you don't use it much except for portrait type shots of your friends.