Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time-lapse Capturing Exterior Painting of Sprawling Russian Industrial Plant

Incredible Time-lapse Capturing Exterior Painting of Sprawling Russian Industrial Plant

10-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

So this is not your shoot? I mean it is interesting, regardless but...
10-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would LIKE for it to have been a pf.com member project but regardless, very cool and I have a ton of questions about how some of the angles were put together. In spite of length, most interesting new item I have seen in a long time. Thanks for posting.
10-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, let's see here - no its not mine, I thought that it was apparent enough. We, who inhabit Tumbleweed country here, don't get to Siberia too often. With Pentax representing less than 5% of the market, that's more than 20 to 1 odds against this being shot with a Pentax. Now, with some of the things that were done here, it does appear that some automation was used, to help with the time lapse - and gee that would certainly imply some tethering. Well Pentax has not supported tethering since back in them there olden days of yesteryear with the much long in the tooth K20, K10, K200. It would certainly be nice to have tethering back and available in the next camera body. Maybe, it would help some Pentax shooters to do something along these lines..

Pentax, has the tag line - "Be interesting", and I can say that painting an old mundane dilapidated Russian Pipe Plant, could - and probably should be pretty boring. However, as you observed - it turned out to be pretty interesting - interesting enough to keep my short attention span for the entire duration of the video.

So with relatively speaking, so few Pentax cameras out there as compared to the rest of the choices available, there is a pretty good chance that if something is interesting, it might not have been done with Pentax equipment. Does that mean that it might not be interesting to the Pentax population here. Maybe, it would give someone an idea and, what do you know - the next one might just be with Pentax equipment by a PF forum member - that would be wonderful. Need to get some ideas going here.

The forum used here was Genera Photography - I guess maybe it should be re-titled to be General Pentax Photography. I am also going to guess that various photography books that have been written, which are often suggested here, were not shot with Pentax gear by Pentax shooters, who are here on the Pentax Forum. Does that mean that we should not be suggesting them?

There is a lot of good interesting photography being done out there. When something does come up, I do not see the harm in posting it here so that we can benefit from what we see.

Sayonara さようなら

10-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is cool.

There is a lot of really interesting documentary photography coming out of Russia at the moment - of factories at work, military bases, skyscrapers, metro stations, various cities at work, public events etc etc - flowing mainly around communities like livejournal. It's something that I am not seeing in other countries in quite the same way. Much of it is picked up by the English Russia blog.
10-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Cool, but at the end of the day, the place is still decrepit and falling apart.
10-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
the place is still decrepit and falling apart.
What - the factory or the country? I'd argue neither.

Anyway, that has little to do with the fact that it was a great shoot. The project took the guy two months to do, apparently.
10-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The factory only. Can't and won't make judgments on the rest of the country. But we can agree on it being a great shoot.