Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #1

Print Dryer Instructions?

For those of you who still do your own B&W darkroom processing, or remember how.

I recently inherited a Prinz Print Dryer without instructions. Cat. No. 360-194 Does anyone know or remember how to use one of these? I appears to be in mint condition, preset heat (no control knob), both chrome plates in new well cared for condition, canvas in new condition.

If anyone knows how to use it, or can send me to a site that tells me how to use it, I would be deeply grateful.

12-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by answerdude Quote
For those of you who still do your own B&W darkroom processing, or remember how.

I recently inherited a Prinz Print Dryer without instructions. Cat. No. 360-194 Does anyone know or remember how to use one of these? I appears to be in mint condition, preset heat (no control knob), both chrome plates in new well cared for condition, canvas in new condition.

If anyone knows how to use it, or can send me to a site that tells me how to use it, I would be deeply grateful.
cripes.. all the dryers i used were just racks.. nothing fancy like that.. did you try googling?
12-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sold all my darkroom stuff in late 2000 when I bought my first pentax EL200.

I recall having a dryer then, which had I think either a light bulb or heating element inside, and canvas sides.

It came with a darkroom I bought in 1990 for $5 in a garage sale. (I wanted the 11 x 17 easle, and the 11 x 17 developing trays, along with a set of 4x5 trays) but took it all anyway.

As I recall, you would place the elmision side of the print against the canvas, but don't hold me to it, because I never used it. I set up a drapery track, and used the smallest butterfly clips to hang the prints from one corner.

EDIT see the link

Print Dryer - Model 1820TC Technical Data Sheet
12-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well the dryer I used WAY back when was a belt and drum design, so I can't say what the timing for drying was. You stuck it in one end, it came out the other when it was done.

Glossy paper goes emulsion side towards the shiny surface, matte prints goes emulsion side towards the cloth.

12-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't know the model (I've only used Ilford ones and I dry my prints at home in racks) but if it doesn't have the canvas as described by the others, then you just poke the print into the take-up rollers and it spits it out the other side somewhat dry. I think these things are only for RC paper so don't go sticking Fibre through. You would be best to ask at photo.net (B&W printing forum) or apug.org (worth registaring if you're into 'analouge' printing)

Cheers, Nige