Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
500px -- what's the deal?

Hey guys,

Recently it seems like a lot of people I follow on flickr have been migrating to 500px, a site that wasn't on my radar at all until recently.

What are your thoughts on this community? I think they have a way slicker presentation than flickr, but I've barely used it. The portfolios seem to be of a higher quality than what I'm used to over at flickr as well, but I wonder if that's a temporary thing?

Anyway, aside from registering my username over there, I've not touched it, and was wondering if any of you who use it can help me figure out what makes it different/better than the alternatives.

10-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been browsing 500px for a while now and I too have an unused (new) account there. The 500px interface is really nice and compared to the other offerings out there, on top of the food chain technology wise - seems they offer a ton of first class features also and some wayyyyyyy cool top tier features for just $50 per year...

---
10-11-2011, 04:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its basically flickr with a different interface. It has some nice features to it though. Pics in my link are just my 500 'portfolio' which is very easy to set up and looks ok. I went to 500 as Flickr was getting to be a pain with emails and the like from people wanting me to comment o their pictures. 500 wasn't like that to start with but its going the same way. Some beautiful pictures on there but there are also some strange folk hitting the dislike button and trying to control what goes on the front page. I think they've sorted the issue of people with multiple accounts liking and disliking things.
10-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I find it interesting and even set up an account there, but nothing sent yet. The issue for me is that they alienated Jeffrey Friedl (the guy who wrote all those nice LR plug-ins) and he's not going to write a plug-in to upload pictures over there. It's a problem for me as I don't like to spend too much time into plumbing.

10-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have some photos there, but I find it's really hard to get anyone to look at them. I know they aren't as high quality as most there, but at least on Flickr there are groups and ways of getting your photos out there. I have done lots of commenting and "favoriting" of other people's stuff on 500px and there has been very little traffic for me. After all, don't we post our photos so people will see them?

It is a really nice interface, very professional looking. It's a nice site, but I prefer Flickr at the moment.
10-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with Lori. It's a beautiful site and has a lot of really good work on it, but it requires a lot of effort at self-promotion, and I don't have that kind of time. As she points out, with Flickr groups I can at least share particular photos with people who share an interest in that type of photography. 500px operates strictly as a popularity contest, and if your photos aren't immediately very popular they drop into the netherworld that only people doing a keyword search would ever find. They also don't have a way to address something that fits more than one of their categories. Do I want to say this image is monochrome? or a people shot? As a fairly introverted person, I find making dozens of comments hoping a few of them will look at my portfolio is not only time-consuming, but exhausting. Liking is anonymous, so it is not enough to like an image. (It has to be, or people would have to support their dislikes because they would no longer be anonymous--the whole dislike thing seems stupid to me. If I don't like it, I just move on.)
10-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote
the whole dislike thing seems stupid to me. If I don't like it, I just move on.)
+1 on this, I think this is why Flickr will probably stay more friendly.

By the look of it and by how people describe it I'd say that 500px tries to have an elite image. And that's OK, we don't need another Flickr copycat. More diversity is good.
10-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah, it's a cool site but I don't get much traffic from it.