Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2011, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera buying is emotionally draining

Warning. Long story, read if you're super bored. No refunds on minutes lost from your daily routine

So a lot of people say car buying is all based on emotions, but I'd say camera buying can be the same. I've been watching for a good price on a Nikon D700 and recently came across a used one on the Amazon.com Marketplace. If you've never used it before, it's like Amazon's version of eBay, where buyers can purchase items from other vendors besides Amazon. These items can range from new or used, payments are made through Amazon, and then feedback can be left for the seller. Anyhow, yesterday morning, I find a used Nikon D700 in "Like New" condition for $1,350.00 USD. Of course, I'm astounded, because these cameras typically average $1900-$2200 used, depending on their condition. I thought to myself "Really?!? No way!" and then looked at the seller's feedback rating, which was 94% positive. I thought to myself "94% ain't bad. You can't please everyone, maybe there's just one disgruntled buyer or something?"

Well, I then noticed he wanted buyers to contact him by email before making the purchase, so I immediately shoot off an email requesting more info on the condition of the camera, how many actuations, etc. In the meantime, the thought is floating in my head, "Maybe I should just buy it now. What if someone else buys it before he answers my question? That's a damn good price!" That was all at about 10am, Columbus Day morning.

Now as I'm going about my day, I'm constantly checking my phone to see if I had any replies to my email. The feeling was the same if not worse than waiting for a call from a girl you like Meanwhile, I'm picturing myself using the camera, thinking about the depth of field of a full frame, even looking online at Compact Flash memory. Then, at about 2:30pm, like a voice from the heavens, I get an email reply!

In the email, he mentions the following:

QuoteQuote:
Hello,
The Nikon D700 12.1MP FX-Format CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only) is new condition ( it just had to be listed as 'Used - Like New' as the box has been opened) comes with all manufacturer supplied accessories, US model,1 year full warranty. It has not been used. The price is $1,350.00,for delivery ( 2 - 3 days by UPS Services ). Return policy is full money back in 30 days. If you want to buy send me your full name and delivery address to have your order placed with Amazon.

Thank you

At this point, my brain just goes numb and all I can hear is the chorus from Handel's Messiah continually sounding "Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hall-laayy-looo-yaahh!"

Of course, thinking nothing of it, I instantly reply saying "Yes! I'd like to buy the camera. Here's my shipping address..." The reply was within 2 to 3 minutes from the seller's own email, so I figured I had my claim on the camera.

Minutes go by. Nothing. Then a half hour. Still nothing. Then an hour to 2 hours. Zilch. Frantic, I looked at Amazon again and see that the camera was no longer listed in the Used section.

"Nooooooo!" I screamed in my mind. "Did someone else buy it? Crap I should've just added it to the cart and checked out." And like a madman, I start hitting F5 to refresh Amazon's page to see if a mistake had been made. At this point, I got pretty sad thinking to myself that I had missed the deal of the century and someone else out there was going to be playing with a practically new D700. I kept beating myself up mentally over and over about how I should have just pulled the trigger early instead of being so inquisitive, especially since the seller had 94% positive feedback and Amazon has buyer protection.

Anyhow, at this point it is late in the evening and I'm still perusing sites like eBay, Craigslist, and Fred Miranda. All of which had used D700's for $1900 to $2300. So again, I prolong the masochistic self-torture on how I missed an awesome deal, but eventually manage to get to sleep with dreams of camera gear. Pathetic? Yes, absolutely.

The Next Day.

Now, I woke up this morning and surprise, surprise, what's this? It's an email from the seller! I think to myself, "There truly is a God!" and in the email he wrote:

QuoteQuote:
ok, right now i will proceed your order on Amazon.
thank you and let me know when you will receive it.
Hallelujah chorus plays again and I am wide awake with a big grin from ear to ear. That is, until I receive a subsequent email:

QuoteQuote:
The seller requests to be paid via MoneyGramŪ Money Transfer.
To submit the payment with MoneyGram Money Transfer you have the following option:
Pay for the transfer with cash at a local MoneyGram agent.
Click here to locate the agents in your area.
To confirm your payment with Amazon send the payment detaills from Money Gram: Confirm Payment
Use this secure way to confirm your payment only if you feel unsafe to release the payment details directly to your seller.If you need further assistance contact Customer Center by Clicking here
Once the payment was sent, provide the following information:
1) Reference Number (MoneyGram Reference Number):
2) Sender name :
3) Sender address :
4) City where you sent the money from:
5) Amount sent:
Then wait for the confirmation that the payment was received. After that you will receive the tracking number for your product.
The funds will not be released under any circumstances! We will hold the payment until you will send us your confirmation that you have received, inspected and you agree to keep the item. When we will have your confirmation we will transfer the funds to the seller. If the item it is not what was described you will ship it back to the seller and we will refund your money 100%.

E-mail Address: aristacamera@live.com

Ship from Address:
Richard Restianuh
2501 Algoma St Apt A
Stevens Point
WI 54481
United States

Payment Address:
Dan Bitner
Via Piemonte 108
I-00187
Roma
Italy
Uh huuuuhhhh...

Now mind you, all of this was in an official looking Amazon email, with headers, links, and what not. But I was really suspicious of the payment method and the fact that some of the links led to a "live.com" domain instead of "amazon.com". My suspicions were justified, as a simple Google search showed me this was a routine scam on Amazon, frequently done with other cameras or electronics. In any case, I did not redact any names or emails so others can see the potential fraudsters involved.

So the point of this story? As cliched as the saying goes, if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. But boy, what an emotional roller coaster! Watch out for AristaCamera on the Amazon Marketplace.

10-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You'll have to keep an eye on your credit report now that you've already given them your name and address too. You're right, if a deal is too good to be true, it is (forget the probably part).
10-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not too worried about them having my name and address, as that's already public information. The address was also my PMB (mailbox at a UPS Store) versus my real address. Now, if they had my DOB and SS#, then I'd be really worried.
10-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the warning!!!

I like to check things out and think about them a bit too. Probably has cost me a good deal once in a while, but so far haven't been scammed.

For that kind of money, one wants to be dang sure.

10-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No problem. What I wanted to portray was how emotions can swoop in when you have your heart set on buying something. Often it can put blinders over the eyes where normal common sense should prevail.

BTW, I still haven't responded to the scammer's email and they just sent the following:

QuoteQuote:
Hi again,
I was informed by Amazon that they send you all the payment and delivery informations. Search your inbox carefully and also check your bulk/spam/junk folder because it might have arrived there. Please let me know asap.

Thank you!
What should I say?

Last edited by einstrigger; 10-11-2011 at 11:07 AM.
10-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
google tells me that aristacamera is a credible company. That is, aristacamera dot com. aristacamera at live dot com seems to be something entirely different. Maybe you should pop Arista Camera & Imaging | Home a mail and let them know someone is passing off using their name.
10-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
No problem. What I wanted to portray was how emotions can swoop in when you have your heart set on buying something. Often it can put blinders over the eyes where normal common sense should prevail.

BTW, I still haven't responded to the scammer's email and they just sent the following:

What should I say?
My big red flag was them not using PayPal

10-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sounds scammy. You're buying stateside but sending money to Rome? Yeah, right. You might see if Amazon gets complaints about this player.

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
My big red flag was them not using PayPal
Indeed. With PayPal both buyer and seller have recourse. With MoneyGram and Western Union and other payment services, it's either no recourse or Who Knows?
10-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I buy my gear from a brick and mortar retailer - and eliminate all the pitfalls of buying online.
10-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't mind buying online, if it's a reputable retailer. Sometimes the allure of a good deal can sway me to take risks, but my suspicious nature of questioning everything eventually takes over. Here's the recent email that was supposedly sent by "Amazon" to make me more confident:

QuoteQuote:
Greetings from Amazon.com ,

Your seller is unable to use the usual credit card payment, due the fact he can not receive international funds to credit card. That is why we asked for a Money Gram Money Transfer. This order is covered by Amazon's "A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee Program", this transaction is safe. Once we receive your payment details, we will notice the seller to start the delivery process. Please note we will not release the payment details to the seller, only after you will contact us to confirm us you have received, inspected, and agree to keep the item.

You have to send the payment to :

Dan Bitner
Via Piemonte 108
I-00187
Roma
Italy

Money Gram applies additional taxes when the money is sent for business. To protect you from extra charges do not tell Money Gram agent that the money is for business, just say the money is for a family friend.

Once the payment has been placed you can reply this email with the payment details (or send a scanned receipt from Money Gram).

Thank you for shopping with us.

Amazon.com
Earth's Biggest Selection
As if Amazon is ever going to tell you, "To protect you from extra charges do not tell Money Gram agent that the money is for business, just say the money is for a family friend." Since then, Mr. Richard A. Restiano (the supposed proprietor of AristaCamera, which I'll guess is a fake, probably stolen name) has sent this follow-up as well:

QuoteQuote:
Hello
I am sorry but due the fact i can't receive payments via credit card,Amazon selected this method.
You are 100% protected,you must send the money via Money gram directly on Amazon agent name and adress.
After you will make the payment and send it to Amazon,you will receive the package,you can test the camera,and only if you decide to keep it,after you have sent your confirmation to Amazon than i will receive the money.
I have already started the shipping.
Waiting for your email.
I've since been logging everything and forwarding to Amazon's Spoof and Phishing Departments. I'm really curious who the hell is this "Dan Bitner".
10-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
As if Amazon is ever going to tell you, "To protect you from extra charges do not tell Money Gram agent that the money is for business, just say the money is for a family friend."
That and the other faulty Anglish are red-flags also. Amazon uses better writers and grammar-checkers. Corporate Anglish is much smoother than this.
10-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #12

I know how you feel! Its happened to me before