Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2011, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photographer Looking For People to Do Their Job Without Pay

This post on Craigslist is hilarious, but hits home with me and I assume many others.

QuoteQuote:
I am a photographer and since people are always looking for free shoots I assume that they must also do their job, or provide their services, for free.

I am looking to hire all types of people to do all sorts of jobs for me, as long as I do not have to pay anything. Just think, you will gain more experience, and I will put the word out for you and let everyone know what wonderful work you do. This opportunity will bring you a ton of unpaid work, but everyone will love you. So if you have a job or service you provide, and will do it for free, please let me know, because I am sure I have work for you and will hire you in a second.

Feel free to email me with the service you can provide, when you can start, and please include references.

I look forward to you free service.

Thanks,
Original link here. I found this to be the case recently with a lot of Talent for Hire ads on Craigslist.

10-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice. That's true of a lot of things. It also irks me when people expect free (or just acquire) software as it's some type of right for owning a computer. Software doesn't write itself just as photos don't take themselves and everything else that takes effort.
10-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
This post on Craigslist is hilarious, but hits home with me and I assume many others.
Every shoot I do for free is worth every centavo.
10-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Priceless!!!

10-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I could use someone to re-sod my backyard for free. I would certainly make referrals if they did a good job
10-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Forum Member

He forgot one import line in that message

"Minimum 10 years experience required"
10-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Nice. That's true of a lot of things. It also irks me when people expect free (or just acquire) software as it's some type of right for owning a computer. Software doesn't write itself just as photos don't take themselves and everything else that takes effort.
As a software engineer and photographer, I agree!
10-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

So true. When it comes to family and close friends that routine is true for just about anything. I do suspect you guys hear it a bit more often than most professions.

10-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Of course I do like to be paid for my work, but that being said I've also done my share of pro bono work in every field I've ever worked in. I have no qualms with having done it. Letting people take advantage isn't good, but a little charity work is good for the soul if not the wallet, and some of those jobs did lead to recommendations for paid work. I actually did pics for a pet shelter out in CA while I was there all the time. I never took $$$ for my shelter photos, didn't expect any recompense. I got some nice pics for the portfolio, a few paid pet shot gigs, some pet sitting gigs, and most importantly a wonderful, smart, sassy little black girl cat out of that association. Nope, no regrets at all. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Money's nice to have, but it isn't everything.

10-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This seems to be particularly true of iPad owners. It costs $0.99!!! No way man, it should be free!!!!!
10-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It also irks me when people expect free
Goes for working on Automobiles too. I have and still do some repairs no charge. NEVER when it is expected or demanded.
10-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Goes for working on Automobiles too. I have and still do some repairs no charge. NEVER when it is expected or demanded.
I think this is true of anyone with technical skills. Friends seem to expect freebies. I have worked as a fleet mechanic for 35 years and I also do Truck and Trailer refrigeration and A/C. At one point I was bombarded with requests for free work to the point where I became a social hermit. Car A/C repairs were a big one every spring and even a few wanted their central air and refrigerators fixed. I can remember a church picnic I attended one time and I had brought some tools and a drum of Freon to do an A/C repair on the owner of the property's car and I ended up spending the whole time working on everybody's cars. I never attended another. Someone commented once that they missed me at the picnic and hoped I would be there to fix all the car A/C's again. It's not that I don't want to help friends but after working a 50-60 hour week, the last thing I want to do on my little amount of free time is work. My advice is always free and available, just don't expect me to always fix it.
As for photography, I always bring my camera everywhere and I take a lot of pictures. I love sharing my photos. I am NOT a wedding photographer. I have attended friends weddings and taken some photos. I have no desire to be THE photographer. Business and friendships aren't always a good mix either. I have heard the comment many a time through the years that "I thought so and so was my friend until I got the bill".
10-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I mostly only shoot for fun but when someone says "Hey, get a picture of me with my (wife/gf/kids) I always joke and say "that'll be 50$ per print" but I take the pics, anyway.
10-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #14

I wouldn't dream of charging a friend if someone asked me to help...? (within reason of course).
10-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I wouldn't dream of charging a friend if someone asked me to help...? (within reason of course).
Me neither, but people seeing me shooting and asking for freebies can get tiresome. Or friend of friends...