Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: When you're out with friends/family, does your photographic output suffer?
Yeah. I feel rushed or self-conscious and can't give subjects the focus and patience they need. 1460.87%
Nah, actually I get more and better photos than I would otherwise! 14.35%
No real diff. I shoot the same stuff at the same quality+quantity as I always do. 28.70%
My output quantity and quality stays the same, but my subject material switches more to people. 626.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Friends and Family: Boon or Hindrance to photography?

There are many ways you could interpret the question in the title, but I mean it specifically in terms of how your photography fairs when you are out and about with your family or friends. Does whipping out the camera make you feel guilty and self conscious for slowing everyone else down? Do you find yourself taking your best photos when you have companions to photograph? Or is your photography unresponsive to company?

Personally, I find that when I'm out with people, even if I bring my camera along, it will stay in its bag, or be used perfunctorily with a spray and pray mindset. Results hover at the expected low level of quality. Generally, I really need to work a subject, which requires me to be able to sort of detach myself from the world, and I find I can't do that with company because I feel like I'm slowing them down and making the outing all about me. However, I know a lot of you post some of what I consider your best work when you have significant others, kids, parents, friends etc. to photograph in exciting new places, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

[edit] I forgot to mention that usually when I'm out with people I get excited at the prospect of having people to shoot that aren't strangers, but usually end up squandering the opportunity because my friends/family will be uncomfortable having their photos taken, especially when it's not the P&S snapshot mentality. "Do you mind if I take a few more? Okay, now I'm going to do some from this angle. Yeah, I need to crawl around on the ground for this part, just ignore me." etc.

Last edited by v5planet; 10-11-2011 at 11:46 PM.
10-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. I can't really figure out how to vote here - it really depends WHO I'm with. For example:
-When my kids are there I am definitely rushed, and can't spend as much time on the photography itself as I want to. However, they are also among my favorite motives (unsurprisingly), and sometime a lucky shot of a spontaneous situation with my kids trumphs anything I ever set up on purpose
-When I am with friends I often prefer to forget about taking photos - but on the other hand I am often asked to function as "event photographer" if we're doing anything special, so in those cases I am forced to focus and do my best.
-My favorite motives (besides my kids) are wildlife, birds in particular. I don't get near those with the boys running around. On the other hand, my best birding trips are with my husband, so in THOSE situations I would vote for option two.

In summary, it all depends, and it is too complicated for me to contribute to the poll. Interesting question though!
10-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter

My grandfather got me into photography when I was in Junior High. That's not an option here. But I have to say he greatly influenced me. Plus, he bought me my first real camera (at the moment in my avatar).
10-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the subject is not the friends and family, then yes, definitely rushed, especially by family.

10-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
If the subject is not the friends and family, then yes, definitely rushed, especially by family.

Same here. Even when I know they're trying to be patient, it's still awkward. For me, if I'm going to get any decent shots, I have to really concentrate on what I'm doing...which means I pretty much have to ignore whoever is with me.