Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
It's good to know that others suffer from this afflication..............we need a support group meeting...........
LBA-BBA, etc ... what a curse!
Yeah, we should perhaps have a support group meeting as you say.
The "lens-a-day" and "single in (...)" are good starters I believe.

I've taken a recent tip and will be using my 43mmLtd for a few days, which has really been neglected.
Then the 31mmLtd will likely be the next one although I have taken a real liking with this lens and used it a bit more often.

Maybe it's neglect or plain old laziness: I hate changing lenses on the K5 which is almost permanently fitted with the DA*300/4.

Well, there isn't much out there theses days for "wildlife", so I get bored. Might as well do something different and use the gear that is already available, right?

Oh, by the way, I am still very much searching for a "k5 buddy" !!

JP

01-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #92
Veteran Member

best cure for LBA, BBA....
just being broke

so what is your $ to photo ratio, 100 dollars per shot?

cheers
01-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
just being broke
Worked for me!

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
The "lens-a-day"
But even at my worst I never bought a lens a day. ;~)
01-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Alas, all these misguided people, seeing LBA as an affliction. It ain't. It's empowerment, excitement, evangelism, endolphins -- and so much more! Besides expensive.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by slip:
just being broke
Worked for me!
There's always a stumbling-block to perfection...

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak:
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk:
The "lens-a-day"
But even at my worst I never bought a lens a day. ;~)
LOTD (lens-of-the-day) is to USE a different lens daily, not BUY a lens daily. Although sometimes it works out that way.

[/me average works out to a lens every 3 days, hmmm...]

01-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
LOTD (lens-of-the-day) is to USE a different lens daily, not BUY a lens daily.
Now you tell me.
01-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the most part I have acquired the lenses I was looking for, learning (and relearning) a lot along the way. And since the introduction of the K5, I always thought that it would be nice, however - there was nothing really wrong with my K20. I always felt that I could coax just a little bit more detail out of it by trying to be a better photographer. There are always lots of tremendous shots posted here from *ist, K100s, K10s, etc.

I was going back through a lot of shots I had from my K100 and more and more I see really good pictures - did I really need that additional resolution - and just exactly what did it do for me? When I got the K20, I always felt a tad bit bad, that there was still good life in my K100 - and the more I now look at its pictures, the more appreciation I have for it. On the flip side, the K20's controls are so nice, and so easy, its really difficult to return to the K100. There is also a lot to like about the images from the K20 too. So as the price of the K5 dropped and my equipment slush fund grew by nickels, dimes and quarters. I had actually decided to bypass the K5 and wait at least another product cycle or two. So, on Wednesday morning after putting the pooches out to do their business, I looked here on the forum and saw a new post - new K5 pricing - thinking that someplace else dropped the price to $999. However, what I saw was $749 as I reached for the phone to just order it from the ad - a place I knew about over in LA. Its looking like they are going to take a week to ship it free of charge - but....

Anyway, I had read this thread several times in the past, always thinking that, there is a lot of implied truth to the title - its the photographer and the pursuit of the gear was the ever elusive never ending quest for the unattainable. I was going to be different and just use what I had and be perfectly content trying to apply my meager skills to get that great set of shots. Then, in an instant - I was sucked in again to the quest of the gear (that's it - I need new gear to help me be a better photographer). Am I having second thoughts - buyers remorse - no, not really. I was looking at the shots I took this week up in Jerome. I am very happy with them, and surprised myself quite a bit. However, I am still hoping to be able to do quite a bit better in the shadows and dynamic range, along with iso 80 - along with having the external shutter release cable on the right hand side of the camera body, rather than having to snake it through the L bracket.

Back in the film days - it was getting the new film for higher iso, or better color at asa 25 - a better set of blues. Now to get that new film - its a completely new sensor - which is a new body.... At least I am not lusting after the SDM lenses, screwdrive and manual Contax lenses do just fine for me....

I was on the wagon, I fell off. I think that this Forum is the problem - its just like going to the bar for just 1 drink....

01-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #97
Veteran Member

We can take various approaches to 'gear':

* They're all tools and add-ons. We might own a few hand and power drills (film and digital cameras) and many sets of drill bits (lenses). I don't use the Dremel for sinking holes in concrete; I don't use the Makita for modding lens mounts.

* They're all customized weapons. We may carefully choose a few high-end gems that have the exalted levels of precision and acuity we deem necessary, rather like having a katana sword fitted to our grasp. Hai!

* They don't really matter. Get utilitarian cameras with utilitarian lenses suitable for casually documenting our lives and to hell with all that fancy-pants expensive 'quality' crap. Good enough is good enough, as long as it's cheap enough.

* They're all nifty stuff worthy of accumulating and cherishing and using occasionally.

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I was on the wagon, I fell off. I think that this Forum is the problem - its just like going to the bar for just 1 drink....
It's more like going to a diversion program and finding that it's loaded with dealers.

01-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It's more like going to a diversion program and finding that it's loaded with dealers.
That was exactly the idea that I was trying to express. Very well stated!!

01-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #99
Veteran Member

It's not the "size" of the tool, but the way you use it

cheers