Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxMom Felua Quote
I sold over 30 old lenses to pay for my new 31mm tld.

Ah, that can be the painful part, deciding which to sell down the river, and why. I must balance off what I want vs what I don't want to lose. And somehow I'm only willing to part with the real luzers; I haven't reached a point where I'm willing to part with decent lenses, except duplicates. Oh, decisions decisions...

11-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh my. I bow my head and confess. I just bought a samsung nx200 with 30mm to fill the gap in my m43 set up oly e-p3 12, 45, long kit zoom.
Feel very happy though.

And also very tidy.
As I sold over 30 old lenses to pay for my new 31mm tld.

Congratulations on the NX200! I really want one too, but I'm waiting to see if Ricoh/Pentax comes up with something and to see what the NX20 looks like.
11-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Oh my. I bow my head and confess. I just bought a samsung nx200 with 30mm to fill the gap in my m43 set up oly e-p3 12, 45, long kit zoom.
Feel very happy though.

And also very tidy.
As I sold over 30 old lenses to pay for my new 31mm tld.

I've heard a secret that the 31mm ltd provides image quality twice as good as 30 old lenses stacked one on top of the other...you'll have to ask around on that one though.

Funny, I thought about picking up a samsung/20mm kit myself - my reasoning? why not get a whole camera and lens instead of the 21mm! Of course, I ended up with the 21mm in the end

I mostly fund my LBA by fleecing the local camera chain whenever they put a tamron 1.4x tc up for sale in their used equipment for like 80 bucks and reselling it. Sometimes I feel bad about it, but they are the ones leaving money on the table!
11-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Congratulations on the NX200! I really want one too, but I'm waiting to see if Ricoh/Pentax comes up with something and to see what the NX20 looks like.

Well, you are so right about that. I am really looking forward to what MIGHT happen. Also dying to know what fuji will do, or even leica for that matter.

The big excuse was, that I had a gap in my mirrorless line up and I wanted an extra body. It is so convenient to change lens by swapping camera ... at least with those mirrorless ones, so light.

11-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Ah, that can be the painful part, deciding which to sell down the river, and why. I must balance off what I want vs what I don't want to lose. And somehow I'm only willing to part with the real luzers; I haven't reached a point where I'm willing to part with decent lenses, except duplicates. Oh, decisions decisions...
No healthy lens is a loser, no, they can't help it if they are handicapped with not so good performance qualities. It is our duty to help them. But I really am not so good at that, so I sold them, so that others may provide them with adequate support. I do feel relieved now, a burden taken away, a lot less to dust, a lot less collecting dust at my place, at least.

They were tough decisions, but I was rock strong and did it. Though I did feel like a mean mother, parting the takumars to keep from the sorry ones to leave. Prejudice isn't a nice trait.

You must have a very loving heart, to take care after so many lenses, taking them out to be whatever they can, even taking them apart to enable them to achieve that. I would go crazy.

Yes, what do we need. How do we decide. Decisions apart from reality, like kind dreams. I like to dream and I want my equipment to accompany me on my dreamwalks.
11-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote

I mostly fund my LBA by fleecing the local camera chain whenever they put a tamron 1.4x tc up for sale in their used equipment for like 80 bucks and reselling it. Sometimes I feel bad about it, but they are the ones leaving money on the table!
I hated every step of the selling process. I don't like it. It is like a necessary evil and it makes me feel like an evil woman.

It is weird, equipment. I am still slimming down. The cupboard is emptying up. And that is good. I still want to loose another 5 lenses.

But truth be told. I will surely buy new ones too. But all the time only when selling more in numbers than adding. I destack. I know I don't need it all. The hard truth is, I am getting older and it is harder to take heavy equipment with me. I hike and then it weighs a lot, and on city tours I look ridiculous, an elderly woman with a humoungous brown bag filled with heavy da*lenses. But it is getting harder to drag it all with me , so, I am downgrading, to portability. That is the other side of being equipped.
01-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Not trying to revive an almost dead thread but just to update on a few thoughts:

1. LBA is at a standstill ... good news.
2. I have been busier taking picks with forgotten lenses ... good news.
3. I have been (still am) looking for a buddy-backup for my K5 !! .... bad news!
4. I have been slimming down on a few unused items ... good news !

JP

01-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the activity!

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
2. I have been busier taking picks with forgotten lenses ... good news.
Try my LOTD (lens of the day) strategy. Pick a lens semi-randomly and shoot with ONLY that one for a day or ten. This is wonderful eye training. And some LOTD glass goes into my regular rotation, once I realize how good it is.
01-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Try my LOTD (lens of the day) strategy. Pick a lens semi-randomly and shoot with ONLY that one for a day or ten. This is wonderful eye training. And some LOTD glass goes into my regular rotation, once I realize how good it is.
Good idea: still have at least four lenses to play with, other than those I regularly use.

JP
01-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #85
Veteran Member

I'm the kind of guy that once I get the right setup for me, and everything does it's job to my satisfaction, I'm done buying, for the most part. I did that with stereo equipment. I started off with mass-market Technics & Pioneer stuff, gradually bought something a little better & sold off the old gear, & now I'm happy & I haven't bought a stereo component in several years.

I'm probably not quite done buying better camera stuff & selling off the old, but I think I'm getting close.
01-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #86
Veteran Member

It took me 1+ year to shrink my lens count to half of what it was. And when I get my new travel companion with Sony NEX 5N. I don't want to count my additional lenses anymore -- it is pathetic but I am enjoying the ride when I can just focus on the positives.

If you find yourself having more than 1 backup dSLR camera, it is perhaps time to re-think and re-group what is in your bag and find out what you use the least. The LOTD suggested by RioRio in taking out a lesser used lens and run with it is a great suggestion that actually works very well for me for re-planning and re-organization of my gear.

The mirror-less camera are not cheap by any measure but the form factor and light-weight in traveling opens up my hobby to more photo taking opportunity and that is a big plus for me. And with a lighter and compact camera, I love to fit all of my kid's extra clothing and water bottles in my backpack in weekend excursion.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-20-2012 at 12:41 PM.
01-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #87
Veteran Member

A great suggestion that has worked to keep my LBA in check with re-planning and re-organization. The only gotcha is that it is harder to part with a lens that you linger with a good feeling.

Cheers,
Hin
01-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #88
Veteran Member

It's good to know that others suffer from this afflication..............we need a support group meeting...........
01-20-2012, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
It's good to know that others suffer from this afflication..............we need a support group meeting...........
1) Not an affliction, an ADVENTURE! It's just Lens Buying ADRENALINE! Whatta rush!!
2) Support groups are great for making connections for more of the desired substance.
3) One can never have too many lenses, as long as they're all paid for and storable.
4) We learn judgment from experience. We gain experience by making bad judgments.
5) Gear IS fundamental. Sure, you can shoot pinhole cams - almost no gear necessary.
6) Thus: Those who feel overwhelmed by gear should move to pinhole photography.
7) The rest of us can just keep accumulating whatever we want/need/fetishize/etc.

Last edited by RioRico; 01-20-2012 at 01:19 PM.
01-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I'm the kind of guy that once I get the right setup for me, and everything does it's job to my satisfaction, I'm done buying, for the most part. I did that with stereo equipment. I started off with mass-market Technics & Pioneer stuff, gradually bought something a little better & sold off the old gear, & now I'm happy & I haven't bought a stereo component in several years.

I'm probably not quite done buying better camera stuff & selling off the old, but I think I'm getting close.
I think we all should follow in your steps, Gibby!
As you say, once we're happy with a setup, why chase forever?

I did quite the same a while back with guitars !!
Never happy with such and such a guitar ... always wanted the "best" only to realize that what I had was already what "did the job"!

Same goes with cameras ... only, cameras change so darn fast you just can't keep up ... same with computers!

JP