Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Microstock photography

Hi everyone.

My topic of discussion is microstock photography.

I understand what it is, and how it works. But I would like to start selling photos on somewhere like Shutterstock or Veer. Is there anyone here who could help explain to me which pictures would be the most successful on a microstock photography? What types of photos I should be taking? Etc.

Thanks very much.

Ben

10-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Abstract. Modern. Things that are different.

They have plenty of the regular flower pictures, etc.
10-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Microstock photography is very competitive and you have to sell a lot of pics to make any money at it. That being said, photographer Nicole Young has written a couple of books that might be helpful, one is on microstock photography and the other is on food photography.

Books | Nicolesy
10-14-2011, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Hey Ben, it's not difficult to do well with microstock images. All you have to do is create a few winners and they keep selling. I uploaded a small handful of images to a bunch of places about five years ago and pretty much left them alone. I still make residual income on those images; in fact, enough to pay for all my camera equipment. Microstock images aren't my style and I hate doing them, so I haven't done so for years so I can stick with my own style and enjoy more creative photography.

The easiest way to answer your question on what type of images sell best and what you should be taking is by looking on microstock websites. Most of them have a top seller section. Take a look at the top sellers and create your own style similar to what people are buying. Or do what I've done and create some unique, usable stock images with a clear concept of what the image demonstrates. Those are the ones that sell.

My last bit of advice is to not put all your eggs in one basket. Spread your images among many agencies to cater to different customers.

If you have more questions or would like me to get you a list of agencies I've done well with and my opinions on each of them, send me a PM.

10-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've used shutterstock for quite a few years now. Haven't tried submitting content for a long time though as they get pickier and pickier...

Just checked my stats and for all of the years I've had around 200 images available it has made $491.49. It isn't called "micro stock" for nothing.
10-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.