Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 02:58 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Throwable Panoramic Ball Camera

Throwable Panoramic Ball Camera // Jonas Pfeil

Via HackaDay:
QuoteQuote:
This odd-looking ball can automatically take a panoramic image whenever you throw it up into the air. Seriously, that’s then entire set of operating instructions for the device. Inside, a 3D printed frame hosts an array of 36 cellphone cameras, each capable of taking a two megapixel image. Also included is an accelerometer. When it senses the change in momentum associated with the apex of its vertical trajectory it snaps an image with all of the cameras at the same time. The result is a spherical image with no obstructions-like a tripod or other support mechanism. The images are automatically stitched together and displayed on a computer which allows the user to pan and zoom.

The whole story is told in the video after the break. The example images shown are quite good, although there are a few artifacts where the segments meet. Most notably, color variances between the images captured by different CCD modules. We’d image that this can be fixed automatically in software if a talented programmer were willing to put in the time. The thing about spherical photos is that methods using post processing to unwrap an image always have some distortion to them. With that in mind, we think the ball camera is as good a solution as we’ve seen.

10-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice! I know some guys in France who designed something similar but never built it. Instead they built something about the same size for spherical HDR video (but it can't be thrown).

When it does video, someone will roll it down a bowling alley and we'll all get motion-sick...
10-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is seriously cool.

I think I'd want an elastic tether for it so it would come back to me or could be recovered.
10-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I guess that would be like throwing this contraption into the air...

10-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
krp
Veteran Member

This looks interesting. If I had one I would want to make something to launch it really high for a different perspective.
10-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
This looks interesting. If I had one I would want to make something to launch it really high for a different perspective.
It's catapult time! Easier than a piano! Cleaner than a pumpkin! Bouncier than an iPhone!
11-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time to revive this old thread - the panono has made great strides to the point where you can actually own one!

Panono: Panoramic Ball Camera | Indiegogo

Well, potentially anyway.

It provides really good image quality - to be expected of a combined 36 cameras - so it blows the Theta out othe water.
11-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
so it blows the Theta out othe water.
I didn't know the Theta was waterproof

Steve